we were 8 girls taking a vacation from our husbands and kids and we were looking for something cheap and not too far from the beach. After looking at many reviews, we found Catalina.
We showed up at the airport and were told to go to section G- we're still unsure if we could have just taken the bus at the regular terminal (which I think is B)- but it wasn't too far to walk. The "no tell hotel" bus showed up not too long after and brought us to South beach and dropped us directly in front of our hotel. The staff was helpful, they checked us in and gave us our keys and off to our rooms we went.
We went up the elevator and when we got out, we were petrified. The hallway was so ugly, looked dirty and smelled awful. We were scared to walk into the rooms. But the rooms were wonderful just like the pictures. All 3 of our rooms looked the same in the black and ivory look. The rooms looked new and the air conditioner worked great (much needed in Miami). The beach is just a block away and it is only a short walk away from shopping (Lincoln rd) and Ocean drive.
The Catalina hotel consist of three side-by-side hotels. -The first one has a great sushi restaurant with a pool on the roof top. The bar inside looked like it had a really nice atmosphere but we didn't have time to try it out and we wanted to stay outside. We didn't swim in it but it was very small and way too hot up there. -The second one is where you find the lobby, breakfast quick things (like croissants and bagels, the internet, and lounge style bar. If you think you may need these things, ask to stay in that section. -The third one looks like it was the busiest when it comes to restaurant and bar. This is the one we stayed when we asked for the quietest section. It was louder when you walked in, but once you went to the floors, it was quiet. We had breakfast there, which was good, but didn't try out the dinner. This 'third' hotel is also where you find the pool, towels and reservation for long chairs by the beach. Everyday you want to go to the beach you need to check out and in towels (as many as you like) and you can reserve chairs by the beach (2 chairs per room). If you would like more chairs, it is 10$/chair/day. And I suggest buying a parasol because A: you will need, B: because it is 15$/parasol/day.
- Check out went well and we let them know what time we wanted the shuttle and it was only 10 mins late (the shuttle is on the hour, every hour).
- They have free wifi, so you can bring your laptop. If not, you can use their laptop in their lobby (2 building).
- for ice, you need to take your bucket to a bartender and they will fill it for you
- there is a mini fridge in the rooms filled with things you can purchase (typical mini-bar), but emptied it and put our things and the maids did not mind at all.
It is not really a family hotel but we did see a few families and they seemed to be well taken care of.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Catalina Hotel + Beach Club is all of this and more. With a decidedly European jet-set vibe and a splashy beach club where you can get poolside manicures and pedicures, the Catalina Hotel + Beach Club also offers two restaurants, two pools, four bars, a media library, a rooftop terrace, a Japanese Koi fish pond and a Zen garden. In addition, the hotel boasts a dedicated library, which can serve as a meeting space for small groups. IMPORTANT -- Credit card used for booking must be the same credit card presented for payment at check-in. The name on the credit card must match the name on the reservation and the card holder must be present along with a government-issued photo ID. Holiday and Special Events require a non-refundable prepayment 30 days prior to arrival. No early departures are allowed. Reservations are completely non-refundable within 30 days of arrival. Events include but are not limited to: New Years (12/26 to 1/3), Boat Show (2/12 to 2/16), Winter Music Conference & Ultra (3/15 to 3/31), Memorial Day (5/21 to 5/25) & Art Basel (12/3 to 12/9). A mandatory daily resort fee of $20.00 plus tax ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Southall Travel, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Catalina Hotel & Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalina Hotel And Beach Club
- Catalina Hotel Miami
- Catalina Hotel & Beach Club Miami Beach, Florida