“Run Run Run Run Away!!!!!”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #90 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 25 March 2008

We have seen the CATALINA HOTEL on so many television reality shows. The site and pics describe the hotel as a swanky, hip, modern place to stay - but it isn't and wasn't!!!
If you're in your late teens or early 20s, drunk, drugged, and you don't mind filthy accomadations, then maybe (maybe!) this is the place for you.
Otherwise, do not book this hotel. Our DELUXE room was tiny, the furniture was cheap and broken, and the beds, linens, and towels were covered in like strands of hair, body odor, and in some cases, make-up stains. The staff is a joke and the mananger AND assistant manager are either "unavailable" or "unresponsive" to requests and complaints. The halls are severely dimmed so that you don't see the grime, vomit, and "bodily stains" all over the garish-red carpets. There's like 2 to 3 inches of space underneath the doors, so that you may find peering eyes looing in your room during late hours. The pool, to our surprise, was in great condition, however, the pool staff were "above" serving the customers. The male staff members kept leering in a sexual way at anything with a pulse (male and female patrons.)
PLEASE - do not book this hotel

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Catalina Hotel & Beach Club

Reviewed 6 March 2008

I thought that Concierge.com had editors with integrity, but obviously The Catalina paid them big bucks or put them up in another hotel that was disguised at The Catalina. This place is tragic on every level. Pulling up to the valet, I had to haul my luggage by myself out of the trunk while the concierge just stared at me. Reception was RUDE (i know all caps are obnoxious, but so appropriate in this case). Dirty shower, clogged toilet, cheaper than Ikea furniture and contrived design. I've stayed in shabby chic hotels and have been so comfortable, but this place - for the price - doesn't even qualify. The only bright spot was the Asian restaurant in the old Dorchester...great service.

Please don't be a sucker!! The website is cool and there are some good editorial reviews, but the people have spoken!! I'm the type of person that will put up with bad service if the "scene" is desirable...I'll leave you with the image of several overweight spring breakers sans cover ups ordering pina colodas at the bar...pathetic!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 6 March 2008

I stayed here on a vacation with a group of friends (all mid 20's) last April. I was surprised when I read the other reviews because I have nothing but nice things to say about the hotel... so here we go...

The hotel is definitely aimed towards the young, party-going crowd. They provide a shuttle to and from the airport (we used it for our departure) and a free happy hour every night. The rooms were very nice - clean and spacious. One of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. The bathroom was a bit small, but how much time do you spend in there on vacation anyway? We stayed in the rooms on the left side of the building - I cannot remember the name for the wing, but they seemed to be newer than the right side. The staff was always friendly and helpful and we received everything we requested with our reservations. The pool area was a bit small, (get down early to claim your chairs) but very fun and lively, especially in the late afternoon. You receive 2 free beach chairs per room for every day of your stay - and they are nice beach chairs too! The hotel is located directly across from the beach, very close distance to the Delano and the Shore Club... two of my favorite nightspots.

If you are going on a family vacation - definitely do not stay here. But if you are going with friends or significant other looking for a lot of fun and nightlife, I would 100% recommend this hotel. I can't wait to go back this year!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank UTBS55
Reviewed 29 February 2008

I cannot believe that I didn't consult the TripAdvisor community for a review of this hotel prior to booking. The reviews listed here encompass every disappointing, disgusting, annoying and now expensive thing that was wrong with this hotel.

Now I must say one thing: If you are in your early twenties and want to be in the heart of SouthBeach partying your [---] off - this place is great - as long as you're drunk as heck when you return to your room.

Don't be fooled by the swanky pictures and clever marketing verbiage this hotel group spews - it is misleading crap.
-Unhelpful Hotel staff : (bellman, valets, shift managers, etc.) watch you haul your own luggage up stairs and struggle to open doors and get inside the multiple buildings without so much as an offer to assist.
-Sleezy Vibe: entire focus of establishment is on the bar scene. Don't be fooled by the cool lounge atmosphere on the curb, nothing inside is reflective of the outer appearance.
-Inconvenient access, had to haul my own luggage down the street to another building, then through a nightclub bar to the elevator
-Disgusting, Dirty, Dank and Dark
-White-washed: The seemingly chic atmosphere is merely cheap motel furniture and accessories that have been covered in white paint and/or white vinyl upholstery. Unfortunately nothing is really white any longer and it's just run-down and gross. The most descriptive phrase I can think of is 'Lipstick on a Pig'.
-Rip-off: What we thought was a reasonable rate for a nice hotel turned out to be a pre-paid nightmare with a management staff blaming us for not liking their hotel and refusing to refund nearly $1,000. We checked out three hours after check-in. We have yet to get agreement on a refund and have consulted Visa to refuse payment.

My friend and I were in Miami for the Food and Wine Festival and had to spend several hours finding another place to stay; a difficult beginning to our well-earned vacation.
I could go on but I would merely be repeating what everyone else is saying about this craphole.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank SBauter
Reviewed 25 February 2008

This hotel was disgusting, I checked in at midnight and checked out 20 minutes later. You had to walk down the street with your luggage and go through a trashy bar to get to your room. The halls smelled really bad, there was a linen cart outside our door with dirty linen piled on it. The rooms were creepy, and not fresh looking. It was just a horrible hotel.

1  Thank jasMilwaukee
Reviewed 25 February 2008

Unless you got a rediculously great deal - under $100 AND must be in the heart of the 'it' hotels - Delano, Settai, Shore club etc, do not even think about it. Service, smell, vibe..very seedy. Next.

Reviewed 18 February 2008

I just returned from this motel and trust me when I say "this was the worst motel I ever stayed in. Let me begin by saying this was the louded motel ever.... I got up and walked through the lobby at 4:30 am to check out and the bar and music was still going from the night before.... the hall ways are very dark, the rooms are very dirty.... the rooms are so small and the bathroom was tiny. The only good thing was the motel was walking distance to restaurants, convention center and the beach.