This place was a huge disappointment. It's truly awful - from the aloof and non-caring attitude of the staff on front desk, to the filthy bathrooms, the stinking, dingy corridors, the slow restaurant (that never has what's on the menu) and the revoltingly dirty swimming pools - it fails at every turn.
We spent ages on line looking for a reasonably priced hotel in South Beach, Miami in the art deco district. We were only going to be there for 3 nights so wanted to be able to make the most of it. The South Beach Group's hotels looked impressive on their website and the Catalina seemed like a great option. But when it came to it they did not live up to their own hype. I wish I'd taken heed from the bad reviews on Trip Advisor - I'd hoped they were isolated bad experiences. But they were spot on.
The hotel is in 3 buildings but only one has reception so you have to trapse from one building to another. And no one will offer to help you with your bags. The staff on front desk seem to think they are too cool to smile/say hello/exude any sort of humanity whatsoever. They set the inept tone for the whole Catalina experience.
The rooms look like they've been decorated by an a keen (but untalented) DIY enthusiast who's watched far too many episodes of 'Changing Rooms'. We had rusty screws sticking out of the wall! But it's worse because everything is grubby - dirty showers in the bathroom, dirty floors, and grim and stinking corridors that are never cleared of dirty laundry. By night they come alive with crying girls screaming down their mobile phones between drinks at the bar. And your room phone never stops ringing - though not with real calls, of course.
They advertise that the pools are open from sunrise to sunset. Not true. The ground floor pool was closed for a private party long before sunset and the roof top pool was a health hazard - the water was literally the colour of a muddy puddle.
If I was a backpacker or a college kid on Spring Break (and the cost of staying here was at least halved) then this place would be a perfect hostel. I'd have laughed at the up-yourself staff and the ridiculous attempts at self-conscious decor - afterall they do have comfy mattresses, are close to the beach and LIncoln Street. But instead the Catalina is making a miserable attempt at being a hotel. And it just doesn't measure up. It's time the South Beach Group faced facts and changed their marketing materials - the Catalina is a grubby and over-priced backpacker hostel. If that's what you want when in Miami then go - but take plenty of anti-bacterial wipes, a mop for the bathroom floor and if you're planning to go in the pool take a doctor with you too!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Catalina Hotel + Beach Club is all of this and more. With a decidedly European jet-set vibe and a splashy beach club where you can get poolside manicures and pedicures, the Catalina Hotel + Beach Club also offers two restaurants, two pools, four bars, a media library, a rooftop terrace, a Japanese Koi fish pond and a Zen garden. In addition, the hotel boasts a dedicated library, which can serve as a meeting space for small groups. IMPORTANT -- Credit card used for booking must be the same credit card presented for payment at check-in. The name on the credit card must match the name on the reservation and the card holder must be present along with a government-issued photo ID. Holiday and Special Events require a non-refundable prepayment 30 days prior to arrival. No early departures are allowed. Reservations are completely non-refundable within 30 days of arrival. Events include but are not limited to: New Years (12/26 to 1/3), Boat Show (2/12 to 2/16), Winter Music Conference & Ultra (3/15 to 3/31), Memorial Day (5/21 to 5/25) & Art Basel (12/3 to 12/9). A mandatory daily resort fee of $20.00 plus tax ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Southall Travel, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Catalina Hotel & Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalina Hotel And Beach Club
- Catalina Hotel Miami
- Catalina Hotel & Beach Club Miami Beach, Florida