Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
US$346
US$239
  • Beachfront
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, South Beach(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$286
  • Beachfront
Room Mate Lord Balfour(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$251
US$225
Room Mate Hotels
  • Beachfront
La Flora(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$204
  • Bar/Lounge
The Miami Beach EDITION(Miami Beach)
US$495
US$460
  • Pool
The Palms Hotel & Spa(Miami Beach)
US$260
US$213
thepalmshotel.com
  • Pool
The Hotel of South Beach(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$236
US$193
Official Hotel
US$221
US$204
  • Beachfront
Circa 39 Hotel(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$170
Travelocity
  • Pool
Pestana Miami South Beach(Miami Beach)(Great Value!)
US$209
US$154
Pestana Hotel Group
4,945 results
All reviewsrooftop poolhappy hourmaxine buildingkung fusouth beachfree drinkssushi restaurantfree shuttlefree beach chairsbachelorette partylincoln roadocean driveart decodorsetmaxinesbartendermiami
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 July 2008

Maybe I read too many bad reviews from here before I left for my trip to Catalina. Having to read all the horrible review after booking the vacation package, I was terrified that this hotel might ruin my romantic 3days getaway to Miami. However, most of the bad reviews posted previously did not apply to my trip. As soon as I arrived the driveway/ or small lot in front of the main building door, I was greeted with a doorman, who opened the door to my taxi and carried my bags into the lobby AND opened the doors for me and my boyfriend. When I got to the front desk I was greeted with welcoming smile and the room check-in went very smooth, even letting me an hr early into the room before 3pm check-in time because I got there 1hr before. I did carry my own bags to my room, which was on different building because I was able, but I did see them helping other guests carry their bags to their room when it was necessary(ig. family with lots of bags and small children).
The room was very clean, bits of rips and tears on the curtain and the headboard, but didn't bother too much, red ceiling wasn't my taste but it was exotically romantic when candles were lit with all lights off, more than enough towels for two of us, small but clean bathroom, quiet all day/night (my room was on far left corner of 2nd floor-couldn't even hear the loud music until I got out of my room and walked toward the elevator at nights). I loved the pools- rooftop pool was very nice at sunset, main pool is just nice all day long. Not as big as the ones at Ritz, Delano, etc, but enough to have fun w/out overcrowding. The room cleaning was done exactly when we asked for it, and new towels were there everyday, beds were made everyday, the maid-carts were on the hallway everyday (which didn't bother me at all) so I just grabbed shampoos and toilet paper whenever I needed. Free bike rental was nice, and wifi was FREE (it did say they used to charge $15/day before but now it's FREE) The concierge was very polite, always smiling, and courteous on about every subject I went up for.
Like I said, maybe I expected too low and was caught surprised, maybe I paid too little for the hotel rate to expect too much(I calculated I've paid about $69~79/night through priceline air+hotel package- total price for both of us for this 3days trip was about $540) I stayed at Sagamore hotel just a month prior to this trip with few hundreds of dollars more, but for the next trip, I'd rather stay Catalina again considering overall pros and cons. (Free airport shuttle saves even more $$) Catalina successfully lives up to its star rating or should be rated maybe 1/2 star higher.
The only thing I would say that I didn't like was how much the water leaked out of the shower onto the bathroom floor-which used up at least one towel/day to soak it up) and having to have to cross a street to get to the beach from the hotel. Other than these two, it was superb experience at the Catalina hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2008

I stayed at the Catalina this past weekend with a few friends for a girls weekend getaway. The service at this Hotel is terrible.
Our A/C was not working and we complained a few times and no one did anything. They finally provided us with some cheap fan the day before we left. There were no dressers to put your clothes and the closet space was about 1 inch wide. The food at the restaurant was way over priced and so where the drinks by the pool. The roof top pool looked as if it had never been cleaned.
We had to wear flip flops in the shower..that is how dirty it was.
The staff was rude and the music was always blaring so we were never able to sleep. Our bathroom did not have a window and the remote for the t.v. stopped working. I guess they don't bother to change the batteries very often. You do get what you pay for so spend a little more money and stay at a better hotel.
This place is better for young kids who are drinking all the time and are too drunk to notice the faults of the hotel. I am not a picky person but this was a little much for me. I feel like I should go to the doctor and get some sort of shots after staying at this dirty, germ infested place.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2008

first off let me say that i pricelined and got this hotel. i was horrified because i'd literally just read several bad reviews. i figured what the heck they've already taken the money out. i went and enjoyed this hotel. i have no idea why it gets such bad reviews.

catalina is located on collins between 17th and 18th. seems like most of the "good" clubs pick up about 13th or so and run south from there. cab ride back to the hotel cost me $5. on either side of the hotel sits the maxine and dorchester hotels. i dont know if all 3 are owned by the same people but i had access to everything in each. the extras of the other other hotels adds to the experience so i'll add a few deatils on them also. the dorchester has a suishi bar in the lobby and a rooftop pool and bar. a vodka and crandberry set me back $13 (standard for south beach). 12 ounce can of soda was $4 and bottled water was $6.

the maxine has a restaurant/ bar in the lobby. look towards the back and you can see the entrance to the pool.

when you check in they'll explain all the amenities available. half way through the "spill" i just smiled. seemed like so much stuff.

go to the maxine pool and get a pass. walk to 18th (2minutes) cross collins and 150 yards you're on the sand. the catalina section is just barely to the right with the red umbrellas. the pass gets you 2 chairs(with pads) and umbrellas. all the stuff and towels have to be turned in by 6 or they charge you for it. speaking of charge. the valet is $32 per night. that seemed excessive.

happy hour. ah, happy hour. its from 7-8pm. most people congregated during this time. it was a great way to meet people, or catch up and swap stories with people you've already met. i met people from NYC, isreal, turkey, sweden, detroit, jersey, even someone in TN 3 hours from me. danny kept the drinks coming fast and strong. i wont say how many i had....lol.... but say you but have 3 (vodka and crandberry). you just saved $40.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank LR72202
Reviewed 19 July 2008

My flight was delayed - so I called the hotel and spoke to Diana who assured me they wouldn't give away my room becuase I would be late.

Guess what! I arrived in South Beach at 4AM and they had given away my room! And it was paid in full for four nights!

They tried to find me a room in another hotel - and at 5AM wanted to put me at the Surfcomber - no thanks.

I went to the FontaineBleau - who after hearing my story - comped my first night!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Loved this place!!! Rooms are cool and comfy ( not good for kids though). Only problem was no free internet access and parking! Great value hotel and so close to beach and great shopping! Loved the music at this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple