“Smells like wet dog...this place is disgusting!”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #87 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Pittsburgh
“Smells like wet dog...this place is disgusting!”
Reviewed 1 August 2008

This hotel is a joke. Plain and simple a joke. The shuttle that picks you up at the airport was late, you call the hotel desk and they have no clue where the driver is. How convienent ay? Once the shuttle did come pick us up it was hard to tell what bus was ours because it says really small on the side of the van "Art Deco" district, anyways our driver thought he was in the Indy 500 and got the van over 85mph. I was more scared in the van than on the plane. Once we arrived it looked nice however the front desk staff was very short with me and rude. The people at the doors will watch you struggle up the steps with your luggage no lie. Anyways the hallways are SUPER SUPER SUPER dark and stingy and the same can be said about the rooms. Upon walking thru the bar area to get into our room on the next floor we noticed our room looked like a preschool class project. The lamp resembled a contruction paper cone with holes in it---stylish lol maybe in 1997. The floor was dirty in the room and the shower was so small and water got on the floor everytime you took a shower. All the reviews that say it is noisy, well they ARE it is super loud all night long. The doors are somewhat loud and when someone shuts their door it rattles the entire room. The bars they have are a joke, this hotel is a joke. Spend more money and stay elsewhere. The employees of this hotel are the most rude people I've ever dealt with. Seriously if you hate your job that much quit.

• Liked — Being able to hide from the room at the beach
  • Disliked — The hotel employees
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Florida
Reviewed 31 July 2008

We were looking for a short "staycation", so when the $59/night offer came in from Travelzoo, we jumped on it. Only then did we check out the reviews here, which we nearly always do before we book. The 3 night stay was non-refundable, so after reading all the negative reviews, we figured if it was that terrible, we'd just walk away, although we did upgrade to the $79 deluxe king after we called and found out that was the only way we could get a chaise lounge or a table and chairs. We were also concerned because we are "young" 64 year old retirees from the west coast of Florida and definitely not the typical crowd the hotel supposedly caters to.

Maybe it was because our expectations were so low, but we had a very enjoyable time at the Catalina, beginning with the ultra -friendly check in agent (Jennifer). We had a corner room in the Maxine building and it didn't seem crowded at all - I'm sure the extra set of windows helped that. The bath and closet were very small and there was no dresser, but we were there for only 3 nights, so it wasn't a big deal. We loved both the restaurants and the service was great. We chose to self-park our car 2 blocks away ($15/day vs. $32 for valet parking) and we enjoyed Kung Fu Sushi so much we ate there twice, so we never even took our car out of the lot.

There definitely are negatiaves as others have pointed out. Our safe wouldn't lock, the phone wouldn't call the front desk, the lightning in both the rooms and the hallways is poor, the sink plug didn't work, and the floor tile in the bath and shower needed attention....but, it wasn't mold and mainly just needed regrouted. My main concern from reading the reviews and the thing that would have caused us to leave was the cleanliness and there was ablolutely no concern there - it was very clean.

Bottom line.....if we'd been expecting a 4 or 5 star hotel, we'd have been disappointed, but we feel we got what we paid for and then some. The Catalina could be really special with some attention to maintenance.

• Liked — great bed, good restaurants, friendly staff
  • Disliked — poor lightning, some maintenance problems
1 Thank sunstate941
New York
Reviewed 27 July 2008

Maybe I read too many bad reviews from here before I left for my trip to Catalina. Having to read all the horrible review after booking the vacation package, I was terrified that this hotel might ruin my romantic 3days getaway to Miami. However, most of the bad reviews posted previously did not apply to my trip. As soon as I arrived the driveway/ or small lot in front of the main building door, I was greeted with a doorman, who opened the door to my taxi and carried my bags into the lobby AND opened the doors for me and my boyfriend. When I got to the front desk I was greeted with welcoming smile and the room check-in went very smooth, even letting me an hr early into the room before 3pm check-in time because I got there 1hr before. I did carry my own bags to my room, which was on different building because I was able, but I did see them helping other guests carry their bags to their room when it was necessary(ig. family with lots of bags and small children).
The room was very clean, bits of rips and tears on the curtain and the headboard, but didn't bother too much, red ceiling wasn't my taste but it was exotically romantic when candles were lit with all lights off, more than enough towels for two of us, small but clean bathroom, quiet all day/night (my room was on far left corner of 2nd floor-couldn't even hear the loud music until I got out of my room and walked toward the elevator at nights). I loved the pools- rooftop pool was very nice at sunset, main pool is just nice all day long. Not as big as the ones at Ritz, Delano, etc, but enough to have fun w/out overcrowding. The room cleaning was done exactly when we asked for it, and new towels were there everyday, beds were made everyday, the maid-carts were on the hallway everyday (which didn't bother me at all) so I just grabbed shampoos and toilet paper whenever I needed. Free bike rental was nice, and wifi was FREE (it did say they used to charge $15/day before but now it's FREE) The concierge was very polite, always smiling, and courteous on about every subject I went up for.
Like I said, maybe I expected too low and was caught surprised, maybe I paid too little for the hotel rate to expect too much(I calculated I've paid about $69~79/night through priceline air+hotel package- total price for both of us for this 3days trip was about $540) I stayed at Sagamore hotel just a month prior to this trip with few hundreds of dollars more, but for the next trip, I'd rather stay Catalina again considering overall pros and cons. (Free airport shuttle saves even more $$) Catalina successfully lives up to its star rating or should be rated maybe 1/2 star higher.
The only thing I would say that I didn't like was how much the water leaked out of the shower onto the bathroom floor-which used up at least one towel/day to soak it up) and having to have to cross a street to get to the beach from the hotel. Other than these two, it was superb experience at the Catalina hotel.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — water splashing onto bathroom floor from shower
New Jersey
Reviewed 23 July 2008

I stayed at the Catalina this past weekend with a few friends for a girls weekend getaway. The service at this Hotel is terrible.
Our A/C was not working and we complained a few times and no one did anything. They finally provided us with some cheap fan the day before we left. There were no dressers to put your clothes and the closet space was about 1 inch wide. The food at the restaurant was way over priced and so where the drinks by the pool. The roof top pool looked as if it had never been cleaned.
We had to wear flip flops in the shower..that is how dirty it was.
The staff was rude and the music was always blaring so we were never able to sleep. Our bathroom did not have a window and the remote for the t.v. stopped working. I guess they don't bother to change the batteries very often. You do get what you pay for so spend a little more money and stay at a better hotel.
This place is better for young kids who are drinking all the time and are too drunk to notice the faults of the hotel. I am not a picky person but this was a little much for me. I feel like I should go to the doctor and get some sort of shots after staying at this dirty, germ infested place.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 July 2008

first off let me say that i pricelined and got this hotel. i was horrified because i'd literally just read several bad reviews. i figured what the heck they've already taken the money out. i went and enjoyed this hotel. i have no idea why it gets such bad reviews.

catalina is located on collins between 17th and 18th. seems like most of the "good" clubs pick up about 13th or so and run south from there. cab ride back to the hotel cost me $5. on either side of the hotel sits the maxine and dorchester hotels. i dont know if all 3 are owned by the same people but i had access to everything in each. the extras of the other other hotels adds to the experience so i'll add a few deatils on them also. the dorchester has a suishi bar in the lobby and a rooftop pool and bar. a vodka and crandberry set me back $13 (standard for south beach). 12 ounce can of soda was $4 and bottled water was $6.

the maxine has a restaurant/ bar in the lobby. look towards the back and you can see the entrance to the pool.

when you check in they'll explain all the amenities available. half way through the "spill" i just smiled. seemed like so much stuff.

go to the maxine pool and get a pass. walk to 18th (2minutes) cross collins and 150 yards you're on the sand. the catalina section is just barely to the right with the red umbrellas. the pass gets you 2 chairs(with pads) and umbrellas. all the stuff and towels have to be turned in by 6 or they charge you for it. speaking of charge. the valet is $32 per night. that seemed excessive.

happy hour. ah, happy hour. its from 7-8pm. most people congregated during this time. it was a great way to meet people, or catch up and swap stories with people you've already met. i met people from NYC, isreal, turkey, sweden, detroit, jersey, even someone in TN 3 hours from me. danny kept the drinks coming fast and strong. i wont say how many i had....lol.... but say you but have 3 (vodka and crandberry). you just saved $40.

• Liked — great value for price paid, happy hour
  • Disliked — $32 for valet
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank LR72202
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 July 2008

My flight was delayed - so I called the hotel and spoke to Diana who assured me they wouldn't give away my room becuase I would be late.

Guess what! I arrived in South Beach at 4AM and they had given away my room! And it was paid in full for four nights!

They tried to find me a room in another hotel - and at 5AM wanted to put me at the Surfcomber - no thanks.

I went to the FontaineBleau - who after hearing my story - comped my first night!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
Newfoundland and Labrador
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Loved this place!!! Rooms are cool and comfy ( not good for kids though). Only problem was no free internet access and parking! Great value hotel and so close to beach and great shopping! Loved the music at this hotel!

• Liked — Great rooms
  • Disliked — Parking