“nice play to stay”

Ranked #89 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Winterthur, Switzerland
“nice play to stay”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

very nice hotel. We got a complimentary upgrade to a large livin room.

Shower could have more pressure and they didnt clean that thouroughly. There was weed smell in the floor as well, but didnt bother. The staff is very friendly, special Jean and Tyrell (there you go) did a very nice Job.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Good Afternoon Buntsch,

We value all of our guests feedback and thank you for sharing yours with us! We are delighted to read that you had a great time while staying with us! I see that you were given a complimentary upgrade! We are always willing to provide guests with such an upgrade when we have clean and ready rooms available. I will make sure to inform the General Manager about your comment regarding the shower pressure. I will make sure that Jean and Tyrell are aware of your lovely feedback! Please come back again soon for another memorable time!

Katrine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Me and my friend were coming from Orlando. The Hotel is very nice, great pools and amazing bars. I had issues with my door and Juan Arias who was very helpful with everything helped us out. Since we had also problems with the shuttle he gave us later a food voucher. He made us feel very VIP. Jean at the check in was also very nice. Great location but room not to big. Will come back for sure :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hello there Juanita V,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us! We are extremely glad to read that you had a great time here at The Catalina Hotel!! We offer an unbeatable price, in a prime location, money saving amenities, with outstanding customer service!! Juan and Jean are absolutely great and all of our guests love the service that they provide! I will make sure that they are aware of your kind praise! Please come back for another great time with us!

Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have to say the only things I actually liked about this hotel was the close location to the beach and the complimentary happy hour. That's it.

We stayed 2 nights in Ft Lauderdale and came here to spend the last night of our trip in Miami. We arrived around noon to the hotel due to early check out at our other hotel. Fortunately I brought my confirmation e-mail with me, as I handed the desk clerk all the information he said there was a mixup in their system (didn't even tell me what happened) and that my reservation got mixed up with someone else's and they were going to work on it. We asked what time the room was going to be ready and he told me 3pm which is normal check-in time. We checked our bags and went to the beach for a bit and returned at 3pm.

When we walked up to the desk for check-in the clerk told me the room was not available yet. First of all, check-out is at 11AM, how could they not have a room ready in 4 hours time? He said he would talk to his manager about what time the room would be available. We had to wait another half hour until we could even check in to our hotel (which at this point we all just wanted to shower and relax) We were never offered anything to compensate for the mix-up or the wait. And what bothered me most is that it somehow linked my credit card to another reservation ( or at least that's what the desk clerk told me) which to me should be a huge security issue.

When we got to the room it was nothing special. We booked the El Grande room because it had a king bed and a queen sleeper so we could fit three people. With the queen sleeper pulled out there was hardly any space in the room at all. The beds were okay and the pillows were horribly uncomfortable. The bathroom was awful, because the toilet was on the other side of the room, by the doorway, and then the shower and sink were together. They also made a laughable attempt at having a window/ balcony. It was literally less than 1 foot outside the window and all you could see was the side of the building next door and some dying plants in between. I really didn't understand the point of that at all.

Also don't even bother listening to anything the desk clerks tell you. Before checking out I wanted to talk to the concierge to see if we could print our boarding passes there. I tried asking at the front desk and they told me the concierge would have to do that, and told me he would be in at 9AM. Went over at 9:30AM and was told he wasn't in until 10AM.

There is no on site gift shop, which would have been great for snacks and drinks. I even asked at the front desk if there was a place to grab a snack and he told me to walk a few blocks to CVS. The only things they have on site are their overpriced restaurants that can't even do custom orders. We ordered breakfast before checking out at the Maxine Bistro in one of their buildings, and all I wanted was some eggs, but the waiter told me he could only do orders off the menu, and then when I asked if I could get my potatoes without peppers and onions, he said it comes pre-made.

Now on to the things I liked, the hotel is in a good area, tons of shops within walking distance, and it's also close to the beach. Also the free happy hour is really great, free drinks from 7-8pm. But that's literally all that I liked.

If you're looking for a place that's cheap and near the beach, this is it, but honestly don't expect much more than that.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Good Day Melissa L,

We would like to thank you for sharing your honest and extensive feedback with us, and all of our future guests! The location of our hotel is great as we are in the heart of South Beach just blocks away from all the action. When we have had a full house the night before and have guests that request late check outs, it takes longer for us to turn the rooms around for the next set of guests. There was one of the days where the Concierge had an emergency and came a bit late. The front desk agents should have been able to assist you with printing out your boarding passes. The mini bars in the rooms offer a great selection of snacks and beverages. Maxine's Bistro and Bar is also open 24 hours a day for your snacking needs. The Red Bar in the lobby of the main building also has great snacks. I will make sure to pass on your feedback to the rest of our staff so that they are aware of this. We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced while here.

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This hotel was exactly what anyone looking for some time away to relax and have fun. It was a cheap stay for about 6 days-close to the beach and very friendly staff. The free stuff alone made it worth the trip-towels every day-chairs already waiting for us on the beach-an hour long free happy hour every night at all three bars from 7-8. Free wifi. Free airport shuttle to and from the hotel. At the last day of our stay our flight didn't leave till 10pm so the hotel was more than happy to lock up our luggage and reserve us two seats on the shuttle for 7pm while we relaxed on the beach just a block away. Jonathan and Christian greeted us at the front desk each day and were nothing but kind and went out of their way to help us out. Even when my bathing suit fell from my balcony to the room below ours balcony-they went out of their way to contact the guest in that room to retrieve my suit. The three pools were all great but the best was the roof top pool in our building which was only one floor above us. They upgraded us to a suite as soon as we arrived without being asked. They refunded my $100 week deposit immediately after I left and the rooms were cleaned and fresh towels were left daily. If and when I do come back to south beach the Catalina will be where I stay every time. I don't ever write reviews for this hotel but this really wowed me.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Jpck86
Good Morning Jpck86,

There is nothing that we love to read more then 5 STAR FEEDBACK!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing it with us, and all of our future guests! We offer unbeatable prices, in a prime location, with great money saving amenities to go with. Jonathan and Christian at the front desk are wonderful, and all of our guests think so as well! We offer 2 swimming pools here at The Catalina Hotel and both with different ambiances! The Rooftop Pool is great for catching sun, while the Bamboo Pool is full of shade and relaxing swaying bamboo- perfect for afternoon nap time! :) We would love to have you stay with us again in the future!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The rooms are not sound/noise isolated at all which is really not convenient when the hotel has the weird idea of hosting a DJ in the lobby from 08:00pm till midnight
Nevertheless, the staff was pretty reactive in helping us to relocate to their other hotel (Riviera). Like they're used to this kind of situation (a family with young children booking the Catalina , not knowing in advance that it's an hotel definitely not appropriate for them)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hello there nicobrooklyn,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for the time you took to share yours! If we would have known that you were bothered by the DJ and the noise, we would have definitely moved you to another room towards the back of the hotel and on a higher floor. Our staff works hard to make sure that each and every guest is well taken care of, and having a great time!

Woodhaven, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Checking in the clerk immediately noticed we qualified for an upgrade and hooked us up with a super cute room for me and my boyfriend. The hotel is a short walk to the beach and the staff was topnotch. Free wifi and happy hour everyday and there's a rooftop pool that's small but the cabanas and bar make up for it. We had a great time

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hello there Hailey L,

We value the time that you took to share your wonderful 5 star feedback with us, and all of our future guests! We are always willing to provide our guests with an upgrade if we have clean and ready rooms available. We are glad to know that you qualified for this, and loved your room! We are just a convenient walk away from the beach, and many other attractions. Please come back for another memorable time! We would love to have you!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Had some problems with my 1 day stay the front desk was rude and we're giving me attitude for the smallest things.my room had problems with door closing and I had spoken to the manager which was not helpful at all. Problem never resolved. Room was smelling terrible not clean properly. So I decided to stay at there at there other property riviera which was wonderful,management was professional and helpful. But I do not recommend the Catalina at all.

• Stayed February 2014
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Good Afternoon Diegoelise,

Thank you so much for sharing your honest feedback with us, and all of our future guests! We are extremely sorry to read that your experience with us was not a 5 star one! We strive on providing excellent customer service and we are extremely sorry to read that is not what you received! I will make sure that the General Manager is aware of this, so that she can speak with the front desk.