“BEST MINI VACATION”

Ranked #89 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto, Canada
“BEST MINI VACATION”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My stay in Miami was unforgettable the people are awesome not what i expected. our stay at the Rivera Suites was good. We received great help by Tyrell at the Catalina who helped us with all our outings. cant wait to go back

Room Tip: does not matter what room your in. cause your never in it.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Good Day MIAMIMARY2014,

We value all of our guests feedback and we are very delighted to know that you were given great service by Tyrell our Concierge. He is wonderful and knows all about the hottest spots on South Beach! I will make sure to let him know of your lovely praise!

Katrine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have never left a review before but seeing some of the other reviews really shocked me. My girlfriend and I stayed here during spring break and from the moment we got here till we left we were so impressed. First of all the property is gorgeous. Between their roof top pool, second pool surrounded in towering bamboo, and overall property it was the perfect getaway, we really felt as thought we had spend two or three times what we did and ended up with a little piece of paradise. Jean M at the desk was extremely polite and helpful. We asked him about restaurants in the area and he took his time assisting us, even asking other employees about their favorites. He even told us when to book our rooms to get the best rate, that's something I've never experienced before. We ended up going to Flame, as Tyrell recommended that (along with joes stone crab shack) when my girlfriend asked about the best seafood place, and it was delicious. If like Mr. FrequenTravelere2014 you want a hotel room where you can sit behind you computer all day working, or have who knows how many beauty products I can see how the setup is not ideal but I traveled with my gf who has more product than I knew existed and she had no issue. It is located on Collins street which is very popular and being Miami if people are out partying there is nothing the hotel can do about that. Overall I could not have been happier booking here as I did much research before hand and my girlfriend and I will be staying here every time we come visit Miami. I got my parents to book a night here from all the pictures and stories:-)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Good Afternoon Bart H,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful 5 star feedback with us! We are extremely glad that you had a great time here at The Catalina Hotel. Our prices are unbeatable, for a great time, in a great location with money saving amenities to go with- you just can't beat it! :) All of our staff is always hard at work to make sure that everyone is enjoying their time here, and that everything is well maintained! I will definitely make sure to inform the mentioned staff about your kind praise! We can't wait to have your parents stay with us, and we hope to have you back soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The entire staff was great. Tyrell was very helpful in planning our weekend from our dining to partying. Alexander saved the trip when he located a lost cell phone. Jerry provided friendly service at the pool. Tanya made sure we were well fed. The hotel was in an excellent location in walking distance to everything. I did not want to leave as the staff was excellent. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Good Afternoon candygirl512,

We absolutely love to read 5 STAR FEEDBACK!!!!!! Thank you so much for taking your time to share it with us, and all of our future guests! We are extremely glad to know that you had such a great time while staying with us! Our staff is always hard at work to make sure that everyone is enjoying their time here with us! I will make sure that all of the mentioned staff is aware of your kind praise! We hope that you make us your go-to hotel when visiting South Beach again in the future!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked us at the Catalina for a long weekend to celebrate my wife's 50th and to get away from this winter that doesn't seem to end. Hadn't been to Miami in years and never to South Beach. From the on-time shuttle bus that picked us up to the evening happy hours, cool décor, really good but reasonable restaurants, walking proximity to the beach (with towels and lounge chairs), the 2 on-premises pools and the old-fashioned bikes (which will get you essentially anywhere else in South Beach in a few minutes), AND the ever-entertaining people parade on the sidewalk out front, NOT TO MENTION concierge Tyrell, good-natured staff from the front door to the bars, I would go back in a minute. Despite the age gap between us and many of the hipper guests, we never felt like chaperones. Not sure I'd take little kids or grandparents here, but I'd recommend it to anyone else. You won't be paying a ransom but you'll get plenty of convenience, value and good surprises in the middle of a great neighborhood. Like the free symphony simulcast projection against a giant wall of a cultural center 2 blocks away Saturday night and meeting Simon Cowell walking his dogs on the beach that afternoon. The Catalina was the right headquarters for a pack-it-all-in-over-2-quick-days getaway.

Room Tip: Not sure - ours (119) was quiet and large enough for 2 (nice king bed) on the first floor. Didn'...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Hello there Todd V,

HAPPY 50TH BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
There is nothing that we love to read more then wonderful 5 star feedback! Thank you for sharing it with us and all of our future guests! We are extremely glad to to know that your stay with us was a great one! I see that you were able to take advantage of the lovely amenities that we offer! We offer unbeatable prices, in a prime location, great money saving amenities and nothing but a fun time! Please come back for another great time! We would love to have you!!

Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This hotel is just excellent. It is clean and the stuff especially Tyrell (he does the highest high-fives) is great. Also Jean at the frontdesk is really nice. I only recommend that hotel. The hotel is also very clean.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Hello there Andrea H,

There is nothing that we love to read more then wonderful 5 star feedback! We are delighted to read that you had such a great time here at The Catalina Hotel! Our staff is always hard at work to make sure that each and every guest is enjoying their time spent with us! Tyrell and Jean are wonderful and all of our guests love the service that they provide! I will make sure that they are aware of your kind words! Please come back again soon for another great time!

Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 February 2014

UNLESS YOU ARE A PARTY ANIMAL WHO JUST WANT’S A BED, DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL This “hotel” is not a hotel. It’s a poor excuse for a hospice with staff that is not only not empathetic but actually very inconsiderate at best and, for the most part rude, though I noticed they were very nice to the “young, good looking types.” No table or chair to use your computer which you have to use on a small glass shelf. Cramped bath with broken fixtures, no hot water in the lavatory and virtually no room for toiletries. No chest of drawers to put your clothes. VERY cramped closet with hangers that a virtually unusable because they are in such a small area and you cannot remove the hangers, making it an acrobatic feat to load your clothes for hanging. Sand on the dirty, sticky, faux wooden floors. And that “reservation” for your room? Don’t count on it. They do not honor the kind of room you book online. There are no ice machines I could find and certainly none on my floor. The beds are Temperpedic but are so close to the floor it feels like you’re sleeping on a mattress. There is only one TINY waste receptacle in the bath. Cheap, nasty carpet in the common areas. And the noise! WOW! Party central till way past 3 a.m. No privacy as your abutted against another building with window to window access into your room site from the building next door. Close the curtains? Well, you could; however, if you do, you block the window unit A/C which barely makes the temperature bearable. Moreover, internet is PAINFULLY SLOW, erratic at best, dropping service totally time after time and the electrical outlets insufficient for reasonable amount of access to power if, that is, you can even get your electrical plug in the outlet and, if so, it will stay in the outlet! And, contrary to advertisements, it is NOT FREE. It is “included” in a resort fee of about $17 bucks a day for which there is no other perceivable benefit. To top it all, my last night there, the pipes burst and I had to call the front desk 3 times to get these people to even come up and see that I was serious even though I had emphasized the seriousness of the damage. by then there were 2 inches of water in my room. They did move me to another room but it was equally hideous! PLEASE do not stay here. THIS JOINT IS A HORRID DUMP!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Good Day FrequenTraveler2014,

We would like to thank you for sharing your honest and extensive feedback with us, and all of our future guests! We are terribly sorry that your stay with us was less then enjoyable! We strive on providing excellent customer service, so it pains us to read that is not what you received! We offer rooms that have a desk and chair for those who are here on business-these rooms would be the El Grande or Living Large rooms. These rooms also offer a dresser for you to store your clothes in. Our other rooms offer a closet and shelving for your storage needs as well. The hangers are non-removable as we have noticed that they disappear. When booking through a third party site your room type is never guaranteed. If you need ice you can simply call the front desk and a guest services attendant will bring it to you, or you can go to any of the bars and they will fill the bucket with ice for you as well. We are working on replacing the carpeting in the hallways. We are taking sections at a time so that we do not inconvenience our guests. I will make sure that the General Manager is aware of your feedback. Once again we are terribly sorry that your stay with us was not a 5 star one!

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Winterthur, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 February 2014

very nice hotel. We got a complimentary upgrade to a large livin room.

Shower could have more pressure and they didnt clean that thouroughly. There was weed smell in the floor as well, but didnt bother. The staff is very friendly, special Jean and Tyrell (there you go) did a very nice Job.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Good Afternoon Buntsch,

We value all of our guests feedback and thank you for sharing yours with us! We are delighted to read that you had a great time while staying with us! I see that you were given a complimentary upgrade! We are always willing to provide guests with such an upgrade when we have clean and ready rooms available. I will make sure to inform the General Manager about your comment regarding the shower pressure. I will make sure that Jean and Tyrell are aware of your lovely feedback! Please come back again soon for another memorable time!