“Very Nice Rooms, Front Desk Staff Defines Customer Service Excellence!”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #86 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Very Nice Rooms, Front Desk Staff Defines Customer Service Excellence!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here for Memorial Weekend this year for the 1st time ever and i most say the front desk staff defined the term "Customer Service Excellence". They attended to my every need during my stay and were extremely helpful in answering questions. The room was very nice i must add (I stayed in room 112). Newly renovated rooms with a beautiful modern style bathroom, and a VERY LARGE HD flat screen TV, along with a very loud radio with an iPod dock so you can party in your room while you get dressed to hit the South Beach strip :) The fridge in the room is fully stocked with juices, alcohol, fancy Voss water lol, and snacks for easy access, and for a small cost that can either be charged to the room or you can just pay out of pocket. The rooftop pool is amazing! its a large area with lots of beach chairs and if your single? your bound to meet someone attractive who is hanging out there as well ;) and lastly I can't forget to add HAPPY HOUR!!! happy hour at this hotel is ELITE!!! Special Mixed drinks are complimentary and the bartender on duty that weekend was named Chole and she did an amazing job! also they have a Live DJ spinning the best in top 40!! it was a great experience and I recommend this hotel to any and everyone! Thanks again Catalina staff!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Hello there NoirTraveler,

There is nothing that we love to read more then wonderful 5 star feedback! We strive on providing outstanding service, so we are glad that is what you were given! It seems to me like you enjoyed everything that we have to offer here at The Catalina Hotel! I see that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM. It's a perfect time to mingle around with your temporary neighbors. Please come back again soon!

Katrine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Rock Island, Illinois
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

This is one of my favorite places to stay! The concierge is very helpful and very knowledgeable. If you're ever there stop and say hi to Tyrell he's phenomenal! Mr. Eddie Arango is always willing to go above and beyond to help you with your bags and directions :) Jerry is part of the valet team and is so wonderful ... great enthusiasm and a wonderful person! This staff is by far the best I've ever come encounter with! I will be back :)

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Good Day Nancy N,

Thank you for the time you took to share your positive feedback! Tyrell is one of our Concierges and he is absolutely amazing! Eddir is always on top of assisting guests with the door, or their luggage. Jerry is also a great asset to our valet team. They all work hard to make sure that everyone is having a splendid time here!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I enjoyed my time here, staff was very friendly, Chrustian and Aaron are really receptive and have great customer service skills. Haley is also someone who is really personable and professional at the bar. Would def come again.

• Stayed June 2014
Good Afternoon Carlitosway2014,

We are delighted to receive your 5 star feedback! Thank you for being a loyal returning guest of The Catalina Hotel! Christian and Aaron are absolutely wonderful! I will make sure that they are aware of your kind praise! We can't wait to have you stay with us again soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This hotel is really about 3 or 4 different buildings that together form the Catalina Hotel. Initially things did not start off so well....... we arrived 3 hours late (thanks BA) and on entering the hotel, you come into a dark reception, which at the time had thumping music, a DJ and several young woman who'd have one too many vodkas. It resembled an 18-30 club rather than a hotel. So after a bit of shouting over the noice to check in, we went to our rooms which fortunately were in another building. The room was one of their basic options. Nothing special, nothing bad, only the aircon unit was positioned right next to the bed, so the choice was be hot, or lay and listen to the aircon...

However, after a 2-day trip the next day outside Miami we returned and had booked a superior room, which was positiond on the 3rd floor, facing out the front. Better A/C, larger room and facilities.

Pros: Great restaurant for breakfast and lunch and dinner - and nice bar within one of the buildings (Maxine's Bistro and Bar) and friendly attentive staff. Great location too on the main Collins Avenue, just one block walk from the beach and less than 5 minutes from the Lincoln Road.

Would advise to pay the slightly higher rate for a superior room - and request 1st floor or higher, as on ground level, you could have noise from the street/alleys.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mikelondon08
Hello there Mikelondon08,

We value all of our guests feedback, and thank you for sharing yours with us! We are a 3 building hotel. Depending on the room type that you booked will determines the building you will be in. I see that you were able to enjoy our restaurant. They are open 24 hours, and offer a wide variety menu. We are just blocks from all the things you will want to be apart of. Please come back again soon! We would love to have you!

Uberlandia, MG
Reviewed 4 June 2014

t is located on collins, near the shopping Jefferson, 1 block from ocean drive that is litoranea Avenue. Cheap and easy access to the main avenues of Miami. The cheap price makes for a frequent traveler. Recommend and often lodge in it. Have a nice pool.

Room Tip: without specific tips
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leonardorocha66
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Hello there Leonardorocha66,

We value all of our guests feedback, and thank you for sharing yours with us! We are located right on Collins Ave, and just blocks from all the hottest spots. We offer unbeatable prices with great money saving amenities to go with. Please come back for another great time!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed at The Catalina Hotel and Beach Club Sunday May 18, 2014 through Tuesday May 20. The room I was given #123 is right next to a courtyard, and the mens restroom for the guests in the lobby. It smelled like man-urine, yuck. But, the hotel was ful, and I could not be moved to a room that didn't smell of urine.

Through my trip, ALL of my belongings were left in my room; My iPad, clothes and shoes. I came back to the hotel, and checked out. I checked my luggage in with the bellman at the front desk, and walked around town for an hour or so. I came back to the hotel to get my bags and go to the airport. I wanted to do some homework, but my iPad Air was no where to be found.

I looked through ALL of my luggage, no iPad. I looked back in my hotel room, where the cleaning lady had come in (leaving behind her cleaning supplies), but she was no where to be found for quite some time, no iPad there either.

I ONLY used my iPad on Catalina Hotel and Beach Club Property. In fact, I did not take it out of my room. After it mysteriously disappeared, I looked through the room and the few covers that were left behind. No iPad.

The Front Desk Supervisor, Juan Azria gave me his contact information, assuring that he would be in touch with me after personally going through the camera footage. He assured me he would follow up with me.

2 weeks later, I still have no response.

I have emailed six times, and called several times since returning home. I have spoken with several people who have not helped me find out where my iPad is now, or what happened to it under the care of the hotel and its staff on hotel property. These same people have not helped me get in touch with Juan either. It has been a mess or running around and playing phone tag. I have had a friend in the area stop by, and she has also tried to get in contact with Juan Arias. Today will be her third attempt to follow up with him face to face on this matter.

The cleaning lady, or the bellman, or whoever stole my iPad is long gone now. And, now I am dealing with failing classes and missed work. My iPad never left the hotel in my possession. And, it is the responsibility of this hotel to keep the belongings in my room and in zipped luggage safe. However they have not returned my phone calls or emails.

Room Tip: Use the safe the staff steals
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank LNB007
Good Afternoon LNB007,

Thank you for the time you took to share your feedback with us! We are extremely sorry that your time spent here was not a 5 star one! I did indeed speak with Juan Arias and he informed me that he did recall speaking with you. He stated that he has not received any emails from you regarding this situation. Perhaps you have the email incorrectly spelled. He checked the camera footage while you were there. He did not see anyone entering or exiting the room at the time you stated you thought it was taken. He then checked with the housekeeper that was servicing your room, and she did not find anything either. Our cleaning staff have been with us for several years. They have turned in things left behind from guests like jewelry, money, electronics, clothes, etc. Were you able to file a police report? That would have been the correct thing to do. If the iPad does come up we will contact you immediately, as Juan mentioned.

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Pinellas Park, Florida, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Catalina Hotel was a perfect choice for an economical, fun, and convenient South Beach stay! My best girl friend and I stayed overnight to attend a concert at the VERY nearby Fillmore of Miami Beach. We were a very short walk away from the venue, and would certainly reccommend this property for anyone attending a concert or event there.
When searching for hotels in the area, the $15 resort fee could be a bit off-putting. However, we feel you will be able to get your $15/room value very easily at this hotel. First of all, for an hour, from 7-8pm you can drink single well liquor drinks for free at their lobby bar. Secondly, you can use a free golf cart shuttle to many locations in close proximity to the hotel. Third, you can borrow towels and cabana chairs on south beach for no charge. Adds up to a worthwhile investment!
Only criticisms are:
-Not the best choice for families, it's more of a singles scene.
-They do put a hold on a credit card for incidental charges...even if you have prepaid for the room/resort fee, so expect that.
-A word to the wise regarding parking.....almost impossible to find street parking in this area that is not resident-only. We did however find overnight (24 hour max) parking in the Miami Beach Convention Center garage for $20 max rate. That was $15 less than the $35 parking fee at the hotel. When check-out time came, we just took the free golf cart to the garage with our luggage and we were on our way....defintely reccommend the safe, covered, cheaper garage if you have a car with you on your trip. Not that you really need a car when you're staying at the Catalina....because it's such a fabulous location!
Would stay again in a heartbeat~! These BFFs gave the Catalina two thumbs up in the FUN department!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello there Rachel L,

We would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We offer unbeatable prices, in the heart of South Beach, with great money saving amenities to par with. We are just blocks away from the Fillmore. I see that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM! Parking in South Beach has always been a hassle. We offer convenient valet parking for a fee. If you are planning to take your car in and out a lot, it's great deal! We hope that you would stay with us again in the future!