I just spent 4 nights at the Catalina for Halloween.
Reading reviews doesn’t tell you much if the reviewer doesn’t specify the kind of hotel he usually uses (someone always using 1 star hotels will not rate a 2 star hotel the same way as someone using 5 stars!). I travel worldwide for work throughout the year usually in 4 or 5 stars hotels. For pleasure I usually try to stay in nice boutique hotels for something different.
This time I didn’t want to spend a lot of money and decided to stay in a hip boutique hotel such as the Catalina hotel. The web page looked pretty good and the reviews were not bad. I was expecting a hip version of something like the Marriott Courtyard, cheap ($140), clean and simple but hip on the top of all.
Check-in was already an experience with a lady full of hamburger smell attending us (she was eating a burger in the back room and between 2 bits she would work a little), not really hip! We received our room but someone was already in it! Back to front desk for another room. Got it but it was really DIRTY. I asked for another room. This time the guy at front desk was very helpful and did show us different rooms. They were pretty much all VERY DIRTY, I almost moved to another hotel but they insisted for me to stay and found us a room that was cleaner than what I have seen. We stayed there, pretty much just to sleep, I have to say not very enjoyable since everything is or looks so dam DIRTY. Once the room is even DIRTIER they paint in white the whole room again, just on the top of the previous DIRT (we saw 2 rooms in that process, pretty funny to look at!)
Personally I wouldn’t pay more that $100 for such an hotel and wouldn’t recommend it if you are over 25 (usually by then your standards in life change!!!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Catalina Hotel + Beach Club is all of this and more. With a decidedly European jet-set vibe and a splashy beach club where you can get poolside manicures and pedicures, the Catalina Hotel + Beach Club also offers two restaurants, two pools, four bars, a media library, a rooftop terrace, a Japanese Koi fish pond and a Zen garden. In addition, the hotel boasts a dedicated library, which can serve as a meeting space for small groups. IMPORTANT -- Credit card used for booking must be the same credit card presented for payment at check-in. The name on the credit card must match the name on the reservation and the card holder must be present along with a government-issued photo ID. Holiday and Special Events require a non-refundable prepayment 30 days prior to arrival. No early departures are allowed. Reservations are completely non-refundable within 30 days of arrival. Events include but are not limited to: New Years (12/26 to 1/3), Boat Show (2/12 to 2/16), Winter Music Conference & Ultra (3/15 to 3/31), Memorial Day (5/21 to 5/25) & Art Basel (12/3 to 12/9). A mandatory daily resort fee of $20.00 plus tax ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Catalina Hotel & Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalina Hotel And Beach Club
- Catalina Hotel Miami
- Catalina Hotel & Beach Club Miami Beach, Florida