“AVOID THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #88 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Prepaid = Huge Mistake
Before our arrival we had called a few times to ask about early check-in, queen size bed as opposed to double bed, etc. - staff was always extremely rude and gave different answers each time.
My boyfriend and I arrived as one man in the lobby was complaining about his bag being lost while he waited for his room to be available for check-in. Yet another bad sign!
The rooms are not as described on the website. They are run-down, disgusting, dirty, rooms. The bathrooms especially are unlivable. The shower had no pressure, and no door!
The staff is incredibly rude, and we spoke with two managers until getting one that would finally help us and did not ignore us due to the fact that they already had our money.
Finally we got upgraded to the Dorset (their business class building next door) which was a little better. The room still wasn't ready when they said it would be. The safe was broken.
Do not expect any amenities in your bathroom - nothing more than shampoo and soap.
Our phones did not work so I couldn't even call when there were no hangers in the room. Had to call from my cell phone to request early check-out to which I was told they would call me at 8am to tell me if that was even possible, in addition to the fee they charged!!!! And they never called. Ridiculous.
Pounding music starting at 5pm every night that you could hear.
Absolutely stay away. Only good about this hotel is the location! Don't plan on going to Miami over Christmas/New Years time unless you're willing to pay 500+ for a decent hotel!

2  Thank MBJL13
Write a ReviewReviews (4,827)

Reviewed 21 December 2009

My husband and I booked this hotel last minute and with not with a lot of familiarity. We've been to Maimi/SoBe many, many times and like to try different hotels which can be a crap shoot.

This hotel had it all. Two pools (one on a roof deck), two resturants, happy hour from 7-8 (free rum and vodka drinks: it is free people so yes drinks are smaller and not as strong but a great way to start the night). Is it the best hotel we've ever stayed? No, but for the value it was much better than we had expected.

Staff was attentive and friendly.

The location is perfect. Close to Lincoln Road shopping, across from the beach and nice walk to Ocean Drive. We would stay there again and would definitely recommend it to friends.

Reviewed 21 December 2009

Absoluted loved this hotel! I have to admit I was sceptical after reading the extremely mixed reviews but after biting the bullet for the superb location I had a fantastic stay in this hotel.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, giving us helpful advice about sorting out tours and renting cars. The restaurants are excellent, a lot better and more reasonably priced than most of the food places in the resort.

Our room was right by the bar so I was expecting the music to be pumping through the walls come bedtime....... Not the case, unless you've got the hearing of a bat, you'll sleep soundly.

The hotel is ideally located, a few blocks from the shopping district and 30 seconds walk to the beach where your given free sunbeds!

Overall the hotel was clean, tidy and good maid service everyday we were made to feel extremely welcome. The roof top pool and bar went down well aswell!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 December 2009

Me and my friend stayed at this hotel and i must say it was a nice. The staff is really friendly and willing to help. As a hotel manager myself i know its not easy for the staff to deal with certain guest. The only thing we did not like about this hotel was that it was to dark. They need to paint the rooms a bright colour such as white and also the hall-way.

The lighting was very limited but again it was the fault of the colour. All in all it was a great location. Just be careful with the bar downstairs Breakfast was $40- back home we pay $24- for breakfast. Again we were in SOBE so we ate there once and that was it.

The room we had on the second floor was huge so that was nice, and we did enjoy our stay and we will be back.

Reviewed 17 December 2009

this is by far the worst hotel we stayed in during a 6 week tour of the US. We stayed in 14 hotels and this was so horrible. The rooms are very basic and poorly finished, the shower regularly blocked and overflowed, there was no air conditioning control, rooms are small, not even a chair in the room. Add to that when you arrive they hit you with a mandatory $15 per day Resort Fee, which as far as we could tell, lets you use the swimming pool. And thats it!!! But wait there is more. There is only valet parking, and they charge $32 per day for that. To top it off, the staff have an incredible attitude, kind of a "wow we are so cool, you are really lucky we let you stay here". Oh, and the walls are so thin that you can hear everything that the people in the next room are saying or doing.

I could go on but after 4 days in this dump (prepaid, what a mistake) I cant wait to get out.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 December 2009

Free airport shuttle was great...came right on time. When my fiance and I arrived at the hotel they couldnt find our reservations...I showed them my confirmation email but it still took them 20 minutes and a phone call to "figure it all out". After all the confusion the guy at the front desk said he was in a situation and needed some cash...so he said he would upgrade our room for $100 cash for the week...needless to say I was thinking about switching hotels at that point. We ended up keeping our regular room and trying it out. When you first walk into the room...it has a weird odor. Rooms were pretty clean though which was good and had a big flat screen tv and safe...but no alarm clock in the room. A couple of our bath towels smelled like feet and the open shower theme was cool..but leaked into the toilet area. Getting your vouchers for the beach chairs and towels was nice and easy and it was only a block away ....that part was very nice. It's also only a couple blocks away from lots of shopping on Lincoln and Washington road..and dining on Ocean drive. If you are looking for something impressive this hotel will not work for you....if you are on a budget concious it packs a good punch with the free airport shuttle and great location.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
CatalinaGM, General Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor and for taking the time to speak with me today regarding your encounter with our front desk agent. Unfortunately, as a General Manager, I often must rely on our guests to bring inappropriate situations to my attention. I would like to assure you that we are taking immediate steps in response to your feedback, and to thank you again for the information you provided. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Catalina very soon!

Reviewed 15 December 2009

Across from the usual suspects, Delano, Ritz, Loews, Shore Club, etc, there is a little hotel that goes unnoticed...Catalina Hotel & Beach Club.

La Catalina has two hotels: the Catalina and the Dorset, I have stayed in both and it's the perfect combination.

The Catalina has a bar with a DJ and a pool table, a kick azz restaurant (food is suprisingly good, especially the brunch) and an atrium with a pool. It's hip, trendy and fun.

The Dorset is laid back with a full bar and very good sushi. The scene is very chill and tranquil, a great retreat from the craziness of South Beach and here is the hidden surprise: a roof top heated pool with free cabanas and a fully staffed bar (they deliver you drinks to you in the pool). Definitely the best mojitos I have ever had!!!

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club also has a beach club that's right next to all the other exclusive beach clubs with your own private area and umbrellas. It's hard to believe that i was paying twice as much and getting less by staying at the trendier, well-known hotels.

For those of you who usually stay across the street, I recommend that you try the Dorset and the roof top pool - make sure to order a coconut mojito and holla back at me. You won't be disappointed.

Oh and by the way, go shopping with the money you saved - Collins Ave has some great stores and shops, lol!!!

#1 Stunner