“No issues it is a solid 3 star boutique chic”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #89 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 22 January 2010

We are just now about to check out and the room is 2 full size memory foam with nice white comforters and very nice pillows. The head board is over the top white leather great for proping up. Over stock mini bar with munchies. No dressor but small closet with shelves and safe. Full cable tv though not flat screen embedded in the wall. The hotel is really three hotel we stayed in the Maxim part that has a nice club-bar with over the top furniture. The seem to host a lot of events which gives it a good vibe. The pook area in the Maxim is very nice and secluded. The roof top pool is great for couples though it should be open later to enjoy the night.
When we arrived they let us look at two different rooms and choose. The Maxim has a very happening restraunt with big compfy leather chairs.

The cons are
Poorly made espresso drinks. ( I watched them make it and I can be a snob on that)
Bathroom was small and could use some attention to the nice old tile.
This was our first time in South Beach. and did a lot of research on the hotels and bought this one through a blind purchase and guessing we were getting this speciic hotel. All of the hotels we reviewed were within five block and built back in the Art Deco period so they are more limited in space.
We also parked for free one block over on the street

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,874)

Reviewed 21 January 2010

This was a good find. We lucked out and got a good price off of Venere.com. You need to print out your reservation if you book through them; the front desk did not have any record of it and there would have been a problem if we didn't have a printout. The hotel is very true to its image of 1930s glam / art deco. It has pop art all over the place and has a trendy feel to it. We booked a king deluxe room. It was clean and big enough for our bags. Free wifi internet; came in handy when booking stuff and buying Bob Sinclar tickets. The restaurant downstairs of the Dorset wing of the hotel is good.
The staff for the most part were courteous and responsive, especially the morning, afternoon, and evening shifts. The late night staff... well not so much, but it was okay. The evening staff gave us VIP passes to Mansion and Cameo. Having the VIP passes to Mansion really helped cut down the wait in line.
The hotel is two blocks away from Lincoln Street, where the most shops are at. This worked out well for me, since I had to carry all my wife's shopping bags. It was also a good place to eat and people watch. The clubs are further down, around 5th-9th-12th st. If you are with a woman, taxi it. There is a parking garage on 16th & washington.
The hotel is close to the beach, but we didn't bother because we went during the one week of 30-degree weather (0 degrees Celsius) in the last decade. Despite the crummy weather, we had a great time and would recommend the Catalina for honeymooners, as it's not too loud and it's clean. Someone who is less interested in shopping might enjoy a hotel down by 9th st or so. I didn't see anything like the horror stories of these little art deco hotels in SB here on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2010

Was there with my brother and our wives. Our reservation was made online, their website is cool and the hotel looks great. Once we got there, we found out they actually have another hotel right by the main one and our rooms were actually there. Maybe they'll revamp it, but at the time the place was depressing, very different from what we booked and not really clean. We were angry to the point of trying to find another hotel. After complaining a lot we waited for around 6 hours without a room, while their manager tried to handle the situation. At then end they gave us a upgrade to one of best rooms that was available. All in all our stay worked out fine after we settled in. So, just watch out!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I had booked to Catalina from Dec 30th to Jan 5th, but I gave up because I read some bad reviews in this website.
Fortunately I had to postpone the day I would back to Brasil and I could enjoyed the hotel from Jan 6th to 7th. It was really nice, since the staff, young guests, Maximes Restaurant , the location and the room (with microsystem, mini-bar, comfortable bed)
So, if you like to stay in a place with a lot of young people and a good location I really recomend Catalina Hotel in Miami Beach.
Have Fun!
Priscilla Pimentel

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Terrible.
I paid for 3 nights (12/30 - 01/02) , pack Maxine Deluxe room (King Size) and gived me a room for 1 people, very small bed and room.
Not going to waive my time talking about this hotel (disorganized, archaic, very expensive and rude employees).
My new year started very bad.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2010

very good hotel if u r there 2 have fun and 2 b close 2 everyting at SOBE helpful staff and very cool bartenders great bed and linen

Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Prepaid = Huge Mistake
Before our arrival we had called a few times to ask about early check-in, queen size bed as opposed to double bed, etc. - staff was always extremely rude and gave different answers each time.
My boyfriend and I arrived as one man in the lobby was complaining about his bag being lost while he waited for his room to be available for check-in. Yet another bad sign!
The rooms are not as described on the website. They are run-down, disgusting, dirty, rooms. The bathrooms especially are unlivable. The shower had no pressure, and no door!
The staff is incredibly rude, and we spoke with two managers until getting one that would finally help us and did not ignore us due to the fact that they already had our money.
Finally we got upgraded to the Dorset (their business class building next door) which was a little better. The room still wasn't ready when they said it would be. The safe was broken.
Do not expect any amenities in your bathroom - nothing more than shampoo and soap.
Our phones did not work so I couldn't even call when there were no hangers in the room. Had to call from my cell phone to request early check-out to which I was told they would call me at 8am to tell me if that was even possible, in addition to the fee they charged!!!! And they never called. Ridiculous.
Pounding music starting at 5pm every night that you could hear.
Absolutely stay away. Only good about this hotel is the location! Don't plan on going to Miami over Christmas/New Years time unless you're willing to pay 500+ for a decent hotel!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple