“A review for the 40 plus traveller.”

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
Ranked #90 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 22 May 2007

We stayed at the Catalina mid week in May. We are in our 40's and did not know what to expect because the reviews are all over the map. So hopefully, this can be of some help.

We are a pretty fun group - but not 20 years old. We LOVED the Catalina. Its is incredibly hip. I think that all the comments about too much noise would be valid if we had been there at a busy time, but we weren't, so no trouble there. It is a great place to be mid week/off season if you like to have fun, but don't want to be up all night. The place was laid back, yet at the same time had a party atmosphere. We didn't see any untoward behavior and felt perfectly safe there. I think people's experiences at the hotel are based a lot on the occupancy rate and the guests. So it could go from the great experience we had to the dreadful experiences of others.

Drinks were plentiful at happy hour and the pizza at the Maxine is fantastic.

The rooms are small, but very clean. The quality of the towels, bedding, and toiletries are comparable to a 5 star hotel.

Our front desk experiences ranged from excellent to frustrating depending on who was working. frustrating meaning that they couldn't find information that was very obviously available and excellent in that the staff were so helpful and nice.

Would we go again....definitely! But NOT on a holiday weekend.
So folks, plan accordingly!

2  Thank Jack90
Write a ReviewReviews (4,883)

Reviewed 21 May 2007

I had a fantastic stay at this hotel during the first week of May (1-5). I booked the hotel at the last minute and it turned out to be a great decision. Truly, I thought the deal was too good to be true, but it really was not. When I arrived the staff was so friendly and made me feel so very welcome. I am not one to even comment on staff, but they really went out of there way to make me feel welcome and helped me throughout the week with dining and outing recommendations. The hotel has a great energy too it, and I really liked the decor. The room itself was great, extremely comfortable and clean. The room had a cool white decor and the bed and linens were incredibly comfortable. The shower is one of those rain showers and it was great. The hotel also offered a happy hour from 7-8 and again I thought there was a catch, but no catch. I was traveling alone and I ended up going every night as a prelude to my evening and met some great people. Its also convenient to Lincoln road where I ended up eating dinner. I would highly recommend the hotel and I will be staying there whenever I visit South Beach. Its a great find for someone that is looking to kick back, hit the beach, and relax.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank WashingtonWashington
Reviewed 19 May 2007

What can I say good about this place????? Nothing....We were suppose to stay for 4 nights but we only lasted one night.. We arrived at 1pm at the front desk to check in and the person said check in is at 3 pm .. that wasn't issue becuase we knew that..We went out for lunch and when i arrived back at 4pm the guy at the desk said" Im not sure if your room is ready - if you would like you can check to see if it is.. well ofcourse after I went to the room the maid was still cleaning it... At 4 :45 the room was turned over to me...NOT CLEAN.. the bathroom had hair in the shower and sink.. it was gross..
I decided to book out of the Rataline the next day... We headed to the LOEWS Hotel..- thats hotel I would come back too... great place.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2007

After an unfortunate one night stint at another hotel, we were given the option to switch to the Catalina...we took it, and the rest is history.

From the moment we got there, til the last crazy night spent there, my friends and I couldn't stop saying "we looooove the Catalina."

The front desk--and one staffer in particular, was just stellar and so personable... We stayed in the adjacent building where the Restaurant is, and I can honestly say that we've all made great friends after meeting much of the staff of the Restaurant.

On our last night, we planned to go out and paint the town every color of the rainbow... but then a sudden and huge thunderstorm ruined our plans, and so we stayed in and had drinks at the Restaurant.... needless to say... we ended up "partying" at the Restaurant from about 7PM til 2AM...with the staff! Three words sum up that experience: BEST. NIGHT. EVER.

Thanks Catalina and the beautiful, wonderful people over at the Maxine building... we miss you guys and will be back sooner than you think =)

Oh yeah... and the pool is awesome too....

Reviewed 5 May 2007

We stayed at the Catalina April 23-30 we were 3 girls (22-25).This hotel is worth the price. If you are young and came to south beach to party and want to have a good time then this is the place for you. The Hotel itself is very clean, very trendy the decor is really nice very modern and relaxing not to much unnecessary details. They always cleaned our room so no complain. There are 2 buildings we stayed at the Maxine its party 24/7 they blast the music all day. But that didn’t bother any of us. Since we were too tired to even hear anything. If you are sensitive to the noise then you're better off at the main building. It was a lot of fun they had different events/parties almost every night. The Latin billboard pre-party was there so we got to see some Celebs. Ladies there's always hot guys in that property, same thing for the guys hot women everywhere. Everyone’s friendly even the guests well everyone in Miami’s friendly. The staff are really nice and helpful specially the guys at the Maxine. They make really good Mojitos there (frozen one's the best) and calamari. The location is really good a block away from the beach and near all the nightlife in Miami. If you are with lil kids not the best place for you. They also give you Vip passes to some clubs and they have happy hour between 7-8 but we didn’t really take advantages of that. Breakfast at Maxine’s good. They also have a nice pool but we didn’t use it we were always at the beach. The hotel also offers shuttle service free of charge which was very convinient. They have the best mini-bar that i've ever seein so many choises. Don't forget to take towels from the hotel and ticket for the chairs if you're going to the beach.Make sure you go to MANGO’S some crazy party over there you’ll have a good time. Privee, Mansion and Delano are good places too if you want to get rich fast a lot of guys would offer to buy you anything. WE WOULD GO BACK FOR SURE!!!

Reviewed 4 May 2007

Dont go anywhere near this hotel its full of [--} and drug dealers. you will never get any sleep. it sucks its dangerous dont go there stay far far away im not even kidding. i dont have the energy to type all of the terrible things that go on there.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank julieandjaiden
Reviewed 23 April 2007

I read all the reviews and did my research to stay at a funky trendy hotel in South Beach. My husband and I went APril 19th through the 22nd and picked the Catalina hotel. When we first arrived I thought wow this is a funky cool hotel. When we got to our room, I didn't know what to think. We got a King bed which we requested, and the room had no furniture other than the bed and a table. You could barely walk in the room with your luggage in there. The bathroom was so small, I couldn't even shave my legs in the shower. Everything was painted white, and at first it looked nice, but then I felt like I was in a mental ward. Room service sucked, they go to the restaurant next door, and bring you back your order in styrafoam containers. No silverware no table to eat on. The beach club - hahahh it's just a beach and you get discounted chairs, not really a club. I would spend more money next time and stay at the bigger hotels on the beach. This was average. The "free drinks" yeah rail so if you want to get headache from the cheap liquor - go for it. It's totally over-rated, and I would never stay there again. I don't recommend it... I felt like I was in a hospital. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple