“Outstanding stay!”

Ranked #42 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Miami, Florida
“Outstanding stay!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I booked the Rock Star Suite for my daughter for her 21st birthday (December 13-14, 2013) and have to say the whole experience was outstanding. Can't say enough about Rock Star host Chad Moreau who made sure my daughter and her friends had the best time ever! Front desk staff was equally over the top and my daughter ended up having the time of her life! Thank you Chad for everything you did - from the welcome frozen cocktail to the gift basket and bottle of champagne in her room - you ROCKED!

Room Tip: The Rock Star Suite is awesome and on the 3rd floor. Overlooks the pool area down below and a great...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cathy G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 January 2014

You check in and they give you a frozen drink to melt away the stress of your travels... Check into your room and if you are on the "Pool Side" don't expect to get much sleep. But isn't that why you are in Miami?? Enjoy the multiple levels of Bars or walk across the street to South Beach and chill out! My girlfriend and I partied all night at the outside bar.. we got called up onto the stage.. it was crazy.. We can’t wait to go back someday!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emcdermott
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Sure it's a great location. However most of the staff wasn't very helpful in terms of info on tourist stuff like excursions or booking transportation. Things seemed really unorganized at the front desk. Our phone in our room stopped working so we couldn't access security when people kept trying to open our hotel door all drunk/high. No safety deposit box was in the room...bizarre. The room is super tiny for what you pay ($$$$). Also our room smelled like cigarette smoke. As much as we appreciated the party atmosphere perks and location, overall, we weren't impressed.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank WestCoastChick6
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The problems we had with our stay here are vast. I hope that I just had bad luck, but I travel a lot and my experience at the Clevelander was not good.

We checked into the hotel - got our room keys, went up to our room and there were people smoking pot in the room we were issued keys to. We apologized and went back to the lobby to get another room. The person working the front desk was very apologetic. I wasn't upset with her, just more upset that this could happen. It made me question the security of my belongings. What if someone is issued my room key while I am not in the room? They could rob me blind. This really made me nervous every time I left my room. I found myself carrying a big bag with all of my electronics to the beach - what a bummer. I wondered why the room didn't have a safe.

Furnishings in the room were sparse. I guess they have to be when the room is so small. Yet it would have been nice if the bedside tables had drawers to store night time stuff, eye pillow, ear plugs, book.

One night I woke up at about 2AM with the harsh smell of Cigar smoke wafting into my room. It was so bad it felt like it was intentional. I alerted the front desk in the morning and they told me that if it happened again to call the front desk right away. Fortunately, it only happened that one time. I think you should make it MUCH more clear that all rooms are NON SMOKING. I had 2 run ins with this issue - and while I was in the lobby once I hear other people complaining about the $250 fee for smoking in their room. Possibly I am jaded because I don't smoke - but if I am going to pay this kind of money for a hotel - I shouldn't have to experience other peoples deadly bad habits.

The last thing that again made me wary regarding my security was how some of my neighbors would open their connector door and try to open the connector door to my room. I always checked to make sure mine were deadbolted - but are people really this stupid? Or are people such animals that they would try the door and if open - rob me blind? In one instance the person opened their door tried mine, realized it was locked so they kicked the door rather hard. I said something to alert them of my presence but it still made me feel really un-easy and un-safe. I shouldn't have to live like this and pay so much for a hotel room. Maybe tell people about these doors, since apparently people are stupid, and or put a sign on these doors...

We made the most of our stay in South Beach, but I will not ever stay at your hotel again. Apparently, I need more luxury than your hotel offers. It would take a great deal for me to feel safe at The Clevelander.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fritz837
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

My fiance and I got engaged here. The concierge helped my fiance set up champagne and candles on the roof to propose and it is something I'll never forget! We stayed at Clevelander's sister hotel Essex House in a beautiful suite. It is such a beautiful place and a lot of fun. We partied every night and had great service every single time. We had Jessica Good as a server the first day and she was so full of energy and just a pleasure we looked for her every time! We also had Samantha View as a bartender and she was just as delightful! They made our trip so much more enjoyable and gave us great ideas for things to do and they remembered us and what we liked to drink every time. If you are ever in Miami this is a place you have to visit for sure! Thanks for a memory that will last a lifetime! :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lori N
EssexHouseTeam, Director of Hotel Operations at Clevelander South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Lori,

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!

Proving memorable experiences for our guests is what the entire BIG Destinations team lives for. We are thrilled we could play a part in such a special day.

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your wonderful story with the world.

We wish you a wonderful holiday filled with joy, friends, family, and your future husband!

All the best,

Ian Abdon

Director of Hotel Operations
Richland, Washington
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I spent a couple of nights at the Clevelander (Essex House) over Halloween 2013 with a large group of friends. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was great and the bar rocked!! A perfect location...close to many attractions. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dave S
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I was just here for a quick birthday getaway, and we had a blast! The hotel staff was all very helpful and accommodating, we dealt with JJ in particular a couple of times who was great! We were very thankful to be able to store our bags both before we checked in and after we checked out.
The hotel itself is fantastic. Great location, great bars and restaurants all around. The room was good - very comfortable beds, dark curtains, but as others have mentioned, on the small side. The one thing we weren't found off was the translucent door right in front of the toilet. With the room being as small as it is...this is awkward. lol. Just put another mirror panel on the door and be done with it. :D
Also, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet our room was, eventhough the hotel was at capacity!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends