“Very nice PARTY hotel!”

Ranked #41 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
DC
“Very nice PARTY hotel!”
Reviewed 26 January 2010

I stayed at The Clevelander this past weekend. The Clevelander turned out to be nicer than I thought. I've stayed at hotels in South Beach that "claim" 3-4 stars and they are more like 1-2.5 stars! This hotel is very modern, clean, good amenities, and the rooms are small. I'd suggest NO MORE than 2 adults stay in those rooms.

Jasmine was great at check in. She was very energetic and made me want to get the party started! The hotel gave us FREE. I felt good about that, a small token that made me smile. Mike Shoti(I think that was his name) was very helpful. He gave us club info, was helpful with getting a non-alcohol drink for my pregnant friend, and threw away my chicken bone that I left in the lobby due to my drinking! :-)

WARNING: This is a PARTY hotel. So, if you're there for peace/quiet/alone time, don't stay there or in South Beach for that matter. Our room was facing the outside party area so it was VERY loud until 4:30am. So, if you plan to party at the hotel or somewhere else until 4:30am then the Clevelander is your kind of hotel. However, I suspect that it wouldn't have been as loud if our room was deeper in the hotel away from the courtyard party area.

I'd stay again as long as I plan to party. If I plan to have some leisure peace then I'll stay North Beach!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 26 January 2010

I last stayed at The Clevelander before their major renovation, when it was an old but solid deco hotel on the beach. They have updated almost everything top to bottom, to create a trendy atmosphere directly across the street from the beach. The prices have raised as well, so we stayed a Thursday night before the rate jumped over $200.

Reviews that say the rooms are very small are accurate. Our room with two beds was good for two people, no more. Space is somewhat at a premium in these rooms, so don't expect tables and chairs and a spread of your clothes.

The bathroom design is clever, accessible through sliding doors, not traditional doors. They are opaque, though, so anyone else in the room will know whether you are sitting or standing. :)

The space is very clean throughout. These are great rooms for a single guest, good rooms for two people.

The atmosphere is off the wall... a gradually building party all day that becomes a constant after dark and well into the early hours. Don't stay on the pool side if you want to sleep at 10pm. If you are in SoBe to party, get a pool view room and enjoy your stay.

The new tanning decks are a great addition, comfortable and pleasant with a nice view of the ocean.

Overall, a very nice stay but a little heavy on the pricetag considering the small rooms. You're paying for location, superb cleanliness, and a true party experience.

Boston
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Here is the Deal...Tiny Rooms/Tiny Bathrooms..No Closets.
Noise/Noisy and Let's get out of here! Management is all about one thing..Show Us Your Money. Last thing...10K in Jewelry Gone..."We are Not Responsible"

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Hayward, California
Reviewed 21 January 2010

I’ve been to SoBe numerous times and stayed at various hotels i.e. The Roayl Palm, The Bentley and The Bentley Beach, The Marriott, The Clevelander, Hotel Shelly, etc. This is my first time staying at The Clevelander. The rooms are small as most are in SoBe. Although, The Royal Palm and The Marriott had regular sized rooms. I stayed in suites at the two Bentley locations, very nice by the way. The Clevelander has been remodeled. It is stylish and has that SoBe vibe. The staff was friendly. We did not get the full effect of the hotel because we were there during the coldest weather in like 30 years, the weekend of Jan. 8th! Talk about a waste of money (due to weather). We wore jackets, scarves and gloves and did not see the beach once! LOL I’m from WI and the weather was 35 like back home. I chose to stay at The Clevelander because of the fun atmosphere and great location. I usually have drinks there poolside or sitting at the outside sidewalk café area before heading out to any clubs. The nightlife was nonexistent due to the freezing cold weather! What a bummer!

Overall the hotel is nice but extremely noisy. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything! Since it was so cold, the hotel was very low key but you could still here people’s conversations as they waited for the elevator. I can’t imagine how noisy it would have been during a normal SoBe weekend. I did expect noise so I’m not complaining, just be aware. The food was good; I had a grilled cheese, shrimp tacos and a cheese pizza. The bathroom was a bit awkward. The sliding frosted glass doors did not shut all the way. You could see every movement a person made in the bathroom. Again the room is small so no more than 2 people can function in there comfortably. Overall, The Clevelander is a trendy, hip hotel for the younger crowd or those who like to party. And make sure to hit up Wet Willies down the street and get a Superman!!!!!! 

1 Thank JDBROWNSUGA
Reviewed 19 January 2010

Overall, this was a very satisfying hotel stay for the price. It's been recently remodeled and has a very stylish, "fresh" Miami look. It's the place to stay on Ocean if you're young and looking for a trendy scene with loud music and decently-priced drinks.
My favorite part of the hotel was easily the rooftop terrace, which was never nearly as full as you'd imagine and had bed-like cabanas and a great ocean breeze. I'd often get my drinks downstairs (miami vices and rum runners !) by the crowded pool and bring friends up top for a great view and place to chill.
The rooms were clean and trendy-looking (with one slightly awkward design choice to have frosted glass doors so you can see the person sitting on the toilet....)
I felt the staff was extremely sweet, if a bit young and inexperienced. My one complaint was that my bf and I booked months in advance on http://hotels.com for one queen bed, and when we got there we were given two separate beds because they "didn't honor third party reservation requests." Every day we came to request a room change, and because on the weekdays the hotel was no longer full the front desk people would say "sure, we'll call you later today !" Of course this happened every day until checkout. On my last day I heard a gentleman in the elevator complain he'd been put in one queen bed with his buddy and found it extremely uncomfortable, and they hadn't been able to change him either. Clearly there was no coordination or followup for hotel guest requests.
But nonetheless I definitely recommend - great ambiance and a very decent price !

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vanilla27
Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 January 2010

We had a blast at this hotel, truly a party atmosphere! The hotel was clean and service was great, anything and everything we needed. We stayed in the Rockstar Suite which included the services of our Rockstar Host, Mike Shoti. Mike was great, ANYTHING we needed he was there for us within minutes and rest of the hotel staff, weather front desk, bell hop or bartenders, were all at our service! I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a lively party in a great location! I will say, on our last night, we were "Rockstarred Out" and it was very loud in the suite to sleep, but we were told this at the time of check in. Truly an awesome spot, right across from the ocean!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jnfrance
Dallas, tx
Reviewed 17 January 2010

The Clevelander was the bomb! From the time we walked in the door the staff was friendly. Me and my BF loved the atmosphere. All we had to do was step outside to party and eveything was in walking distance. The view was beautiful and most off all the room was CLEAN. I visit south beach every summer and by far this is the best hotel i've stayed in. The previous hotels had a nasty smell and were out dated.

I hate to read the reviews where all people do is complain. IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE TRAVELING.. STAY AT HOME!! JERKS! THE HOTEL SITS IN THE MIDDLE OF SOUTH BEACH AND THERE IS A CLUB DOWNSTAIRS. DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT PPL WILL NOT BE DRUNK AND YOU WON'T HEAR MUSIC ALL NIGHT!!???

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple