“Good stop on a Miami trip as long as you're aware of the spring break vibe”

Clevelander South Beach Hotel
Ranked #49 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Good stop on a Miami trip as long as you're aware of the spring break vibe”
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Super friendly and easy check-in experience. Upon arrival we magically had complimentary drinks in our hands. They were sticky sweet blended something, but I appreciate the gesture and it did kind of get us in that "I'm in Miami, let's get the party started" kinda mood. We were allowed to check in early which was great because we could soak up as much sun as possible at the hotel's rooftop and pool areas.

On a tip from other reviews, we did not fall for the special pricing on Pool View rooms and it was well worth our money to upgrade to Ocean View. The Pool View would put you so close to the pounding club music (open til 5am mind you) that you would be forced to stay up and party until that time because there would be no sleep to be had. We came here knowing it was a party spot, but I'm on more of a passing out by 2am schedule. That's just me...

That said, we could still hear the music in our Ocean View room! So I can only imagine what the people in rooms closer to the pool side were hearing. It was a managable volume though. Our view was pretty nice, however across the street from the hotel is a park, then the beach. So the water is actually a bit farther away than I expected. I don't know why I was put in a room with 2 double beds instead of one queen/king. My boyfriend is 6'3" and the bed was just way too small for us, but other than that the room was bright and clean and well put together. Totally beach appropriate with white linens and blue and sand colored accents.

The C-Level rooftop deck was my favorite area. It was a little smaller than I hoped, but there were plenty of cabanas and lounge chairs, a nice water feature, and a fabulous view. Maybe this was because we were there on a Thursday, but there was no bar open up there! We ended up walking down to the main pool bar area to get drinks and then taking them back up with us. Most likely a blessing in disguise since 2 mojitos set us back $24 so having limited bar access limited the money going down the drain.

The second rooftop area, SPF4, was a total letdown. It was tiny and there was just nothing to really keep you there. Looks much nicer in pictures.

The main pool area was kind of dirty and didn't attract me (other than to grab drinks). The pool is pretty much a waste of space since they just cover it up with a stage for spring break style activities (when we headed out for dinner it was set up with beer pong tables, when we returned late at night it was the dance floor). All the lounge chairs you'd expect around a pool are only found in the rooftop areas, the pool area is really just the bar and restaurant.

The restaurant didn't really suck us in either, we ventured out to find something more interesting and were happy we did.

I think overall for the price and location it's a good stop on a Miami trip as long as you're aware of the spring break vibe. The other places that we liked more we couldn't have afforded, so it worked out just fine.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
charlotte nc
Reviewed 12 February 2010

Smail rooms, loud music all night, and I mean all night. Was offered a discount because we were promised two beds and only got one, for three dudes. When I asked politely for a bigger discount, the girl behind the counter says, complete with attitude, "Well, considering your rate was already dropped down to $399 a night, I don't think that's going to happen."
This would be a better place to stay if I was 22, rather than 32.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Atlanta
Reviewed 11 February 2010

The Clevelander can roll out the red carpet. Host Mike Shoti and team members went above and beyond the call duty. The greatest thing i never asked it just was waiting for me and my group. You take a crazy Super Bowl weekend and turned it into a over the top experience. I travel all the time and have admit I give all of them a 10. Just once you need to experience the Clevelander just ask for Mike Shoti you will always go back.

• Stayed February 2010
Florida
Reviewed 8 February 2010

The hotel is in a great location, staff nice, party nightly at the poolside bar/club. Room was very simple and fine but one really negative thing that will keep me away....a frosted glass partition between room and bathroom! Don't want to see everything going on in there, even in shadow. Very unfortunate design. Also, our glass doors did not close properly; not that it made a difference since all was there for everyone to see anyway.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
sellersville,pa
Reviewed 28 January 2010

We stayed for a long weekend. Room was very clean and small, no where to put much luggage, no dresser. Bathroom was very clean and yes the doors are kinda see thru, but no big deal. VERY LOUD at night on Fri and Sat, Sun was much better! We went to bed between 11-1 every night and it was hard to sleep! Safe didnt work in 1st room they switched us right away! Front desk staff was great! Helpful and nice! We only spent an hour at the club downstairs...pouring shots down peoples throats, not our thing! Spring breaky! Had good entertainment, carnival! Had lunch once at the hotel, they have lousy service and the shrimp tacos were greasy! Great location. All the restaurants on the strip beg for you to stay for food...walk on other side of strip. Beach and ocean are fantastic! Cool place would never go back though! Pool but its for show not to swim! No place to hang around it.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 27 January 2010

Pros: location is awesome, few minutes and you are on the beach! the hotel is a legend in Miami and he got recently renovated. Our room was enough spacious, nice bathroom and spotless clean! I was surprised by the noise free of the room, beside a lot of parties going on at the bar downstair.
the roof top is really worthed all the money! beautiful view by day and night, with the ocean breeze...

Cons: front desk was terrible slow with a lot of unexeperienced employees... only one of them look she knew what to do...

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
DC
Reviewed 26 January 2010

I stayed at The Clevelander this past weekend. The Clevelander turned out to be nicer than I thought. I've stayed at hotels in South Beach that "claim" 3-4 stars and they are more like 1-2.5 stars! This hotel is very modern, clean, good amenities, and the rooms are small. I'd suggest NO MORE than 2 adults stay in those rooms.

Jasmine was great at check in. She was very energetic and made me want to get the party started! The hotel gave us FREE. I felt good about that, a small token that made me smile. Mike Shoti(I think that was his name) was very helpful. He gave us club info, was helpful with getting a non-alcohol drink for my pregnant friend, and threw away my chicken bone that I left in the lobby due to my drinking! :-)

WARNING: This is a PARTY hotel. So, if you're there for peace/quiet/alone time, don't stay there or in South Beach for that matter. Our room was facing the outside party area so it was VERY loud until 4:30am. So, if you plan to party at the hotel or somewhere else until 4:30am then the Clevelander is your kind of hotel. However, I suspect that it wouldn't have been as loud if our room was deeper in the hotel away from the courtyard party area.

I'd stay again as long as I plan to party. If I plan to have some leisure peace then I'll stay North Beach!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends