“Good Location”

Ranked #165 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Good Location”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Great location, right on Ocean Drive, lots of life and beautiful cars cruisibg the drive from around 16.00 till 05.00, pretty noisy to sleep, we had an Ocean Front Suite with the best views, water taps the wrong way round? caused a bit if confusion, Clerk mostly asleep during the mornings. Big drinks, big bills. The restaurant below the hotel is separately run, very bad value, go back from the Drive two blocks for good food at much better prices.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Chris H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Ok, at the very least you would expect from a hotel room is to be able to get a shower....right? Um...not so fast...not here. Faucet was broken, no scald gard, extreme hot water only. So no shower for any of us for our stay. Not acceptable. Room was small with a view of an alley with bars on the windows. I know it's south beach, but if you want to sleep forget it. Loud, Loud, Loud. Partying going on upstairs, next door and on the streets. One of the more annoying things is the level of harassment you get when you walk out the door. The street side attached restaurant girls attack you when you walk out the door trying to get you for breakfast. Everywhere on the strip is someone attacking you trying to get you to buy wicked expensive food and drinks. Don't be suckered into buying one of the frozen drinks with the two corona's in it unless you plan to spend 55$ for it plus tax and gratuity which was already added in. You get one dam drink and they automatically add 18% gratuity to your drink, b/c they know people aren't going to tip 12 bucks for the thing....just not fair. This hotel was horrible for the value and general quality was horrible as well.....oh I forgot to mention service at the front desk was very hit or miss....one was ok and the other didn't even respond to me 2x when I asked him when check out was. Move along, this one is not worth staying at....like someone else posted...looks better on the outside!

Room Tip: Don't stay here...you have been warned!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Fpc95

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The Colony Hotel is an Art Deco icon on South Beach's Ocean Drive and is ideal for travelers interested in saving money on lodging who doesn't plan to spend much time in their room.

The small boutique hotel's neon display provides the perfect backdrop to many nightlife photos making it instantly recognizable. So were you a little surprised when you found rates as low as $99 per night in peak season? While at a great value, the hotel can be underwhelming to travelers accustomed to well-known chains. The rooms were clean but very outdated. In Art Deco fashion, the hotel featured platform beds (aka low to the floor). There is a café onsite, ac in the rooms and beach towels available at the front desk. Otherwise, the most desirable accommodation - you'll be located in the heart of South Beach!

Room Tip: Travelers with accessibility needs should consult the front desk prior to booking. Small elevators...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Victoria M
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Arrived, handed car keys to Valet Parking, waited momentarily to check in.
Loud and vibrant out front but quiet in our room up on third floor. Clean and modern room, same for bathroom. Toiletries included, nice touch.
We were looking forward to our stay and so far, not disappointed.
Close to the beach, shops, clubs and eating establishments for all tastes.
Would I stay here again?

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lakeworth1
Joinville, SC
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We had problems just after checkin, the room that the recepcionist gave us the key was still occupied so we have to go back to reception, wait longer to get another room. The room was ok, good bed, good shower and air conditioning worked fine. Vallet is 22USD per day, cheaper than we paid to park on Collins Avenue. I would stay there again, no worries after all. Good location, a little bit too busy if you are looking for quite place to relax.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EduP2014
Hafnarfjordur, Iceland
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Pros:
Excellent location, could not be better. On the beach in the middle of glorious south beach.
Decent sized room with fridge and flat screen TV. Modern decor and pleasant on the eye.
Looked and smelled clean.
Friendly staff.
Air con that works. But sadly not able to open windows. No fresh air.
Free WIFI in the room.
Modern shower and toilet.
Complimentary towel to take to beach.
Great shampoo, soap, conditioner etc, all included in the price.
Very friendly bar/restaurant . Lovely Italian guy that runs the place.
First reaction was that I was pleased, considering it is just two and a half stars.

Cons:
Not one but two cockroaches on the floor (that we saw, probably many more) One huge. Wood floor is the same colour as cockroaches, not a coinsadence, I am sure. To the hotels credit I called reception immediately and he told us to leave the room for 45 minutes so that they could spray the room and they did. We were eating pizza at the time and food does attract the little (big) buggers. They did the best they could do under the circumstances. But we are from Iceland and have never seen the little devils and it was not a pleasant experience. Not pleasant at all. Apparently there is a cockroach problem in Miami, we were told.

Impossible to open windows. No fresh air.

Loud. Loud music and people talking outside. Well duh, I guess, as it is in the middle of Ocean Drive. Bring ear plugs!!

Toilet got blocked Reception sent up a maintenance man immediately. It took less than five minutes to rectify. Not really a problem

Bed and mattress are of very low quality. Uncomfortable and linen is cheap. OK if you are on spring break and or under thirty.

All in all I would have been very pleased with the hotel, as it is a 2 1/2 star and the price was great. BUT the cockroaches are UN-forgettable and still haunt me in my nightmares. One of the most disgusting experiences of my life.
I have stayed at many 2 1/2 star hotels in FLA and not had a problem with cockroaches or uncomfortable beds.
For a budget traveler, if you don't mind the occasional cockroach, this is the place to go to for value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Elísabet J
East Hampton, New York
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed at the Colony December 16 and departed on December 19. I paid for my room through Hotels.com (another story) and have the receipt. On December 18th the Colony charged me $277.14 for no reason. They deny it.I have it in black and white from my bank. I have been treated like I was trying to get monies that don't belong to me. Nothing is further from the truth. I have stayed at the Colony many times and always found them to be very courteous and nice. I am a 75 year old widow who is not a problem maker. I mind my own business and am not a confrontational sort. However, get me going and I will pursue this. I have not had problems in the past with this hotel, I just want my money returned to me.Hotels.com has lost me and anyone who will listen to me as customers. Their treatment has been horrific.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family