“Excellent location”
Review of The Colony Hotel

The Colony Hotel
Ranked #168 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The room darkening curtain did not seal around the window. It was impossible to darken the room. Staff was friendly, specially maid service. The bed was unconfortable. If you wanna sleep, take a pill. If you want to have fun in South Beach and do not care about sleeping, the location could not be better.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel was a little bit average. We got placed in a room right next to 2 industrial construction sites so we were woken up every morning with beeping from loud trucks and people talking. The location was great however we could hardly walk out the front door of reception without being pestered to stop for lunch or dinner or a drink in the restaurant. The room service was a bit hit and miss as they would not announce themselves prior to entering the room which we found to be quite rude.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel is a dump. I stood in room 215. Let's start off with saying that the view was of a brick building about 10 ft away. The refrigerator was warm. It didn't get cold. The room smelled like something died in it. A friend came to visit and thought we had rotting food in it. The smell was unbearable. I was so embarrassed. Room service came only once to clean the room in my entire stay. The electricity socket was broken and sparked whenever you would try to plug something in. The shower faucet was also broken. One day we got stuck in the tiny elevator for 5 minuets . The staff was RUDE when I request beach towels and handed me dirty "white" room towels with stains on it. I also made a request for bathroom towels since housekeeping only came to clean one day and she never came with towels.

PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE. Save your money and go somewhere. This place is truly disgusting. For crying out loud, one of the guys in the front desk was watching movies with his headphones on. I went to complain and ask to be changed to a different room. He simply said. I can't help you and continued watching his movie. The cherry on top were the three roaches I killed while staying here.

Moreover, friends and I ate at the hotel restaurant, "The Columbus Restaurant". The food was horrible. Drinks were watered down and pricey. If you eat at this dump make sure you ask how much is their happy hour before sitting

STAY FAR AWAY FROM THE COLONY! YOU'RE BETTER OFF STAYING IN A HOMELESS SHELTER!

Room Tip: I stood in room 215. Simply disgusting.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Juan R
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

The Colony Hotel was just OK. When in Miami you typically don't spend a lot of time in the room. With that being said the bed was comfortable and the shower was hot, which met our basic needs. There isn't much to the hotel as far as amenities, so if that's important to you then this isn't the place for you.

I was most disappointed with the beverage prices. Beware of the happy hour as it is buy one get one free per person. My boyfriend and I bought two drinks during HH and the bill was $64! We couldn't drink our second beverage the same day, so they said we could come back the next day, show our receipt, and get our second drink. We did that, however they told us we couldn't sit outside since those tables were for customers who were paying for food/drinks. Trying to be understanding, we told them we would go ahead and order appetizers. My boyfriend decided to order a budlight after he finished his "free" drink, again trying to be considerate of the fact that they want guest who sit outside to order food. Trying to be considerate did us no good! They charged us $20 for the beer! Mind you he just got the same beer down the street At the Clevelander for less than $5!

Bottom line, if you get a deal on the rooms this place will do. Do not eat or drink there because it is a total ripoff!!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here in July 2014! The location was perfect, a stone throw away from south beach! views are beautiful! Room sizes were very good for the price we paid! If you are planning on staying here, it is worth going to Washington street which is just behind the hotel one street away to find a lot of restaurants and shops! Hotel staff were friendly! Valet parking was easy and costs $24 per day. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bhavesh-Shivani
Reviewed 11 August 2014

There are so many things to consider when traveling and needing to book a hotel. For me one of the most critical things is location. Not only is The Colony Hotel one of the more affordable places in South Beach but it is located in one of the best locations.

If your a drinker/party goer it's just a few doors down from Wet Willie's. It's about a block and a half away from Mango's, and about 2 to 3 blocks away from TGI Fridays and Fat Tuesdays. It's on Ocean Drive so it's adjacent to the beach. There are a number of fine restaurants within walking distance (2-15 mins max). Many of the night clubs are in walking distance such as Story, Mansion, Mokai, and Dreams - 25 min walk maximum.

The rooms are pretty much as advertised and it's likely you'll save money booking directly through the hotel website as opposed to booking sites. I had a leaky AC unit upon my check in on Aug 7th 2014 but Carlos was kind enough to switch me out to another room within an hour's time. The room was clean the bathroom was a little stuffy but there was a window in there that I never used. Housekeeping came and brought fresh towels as needed. The front desk even offers beach towels. The only major complaint I have with this place is the wifi signal is weak if your room is near the back of the hotel. That is something I had a problem with and spoke to other guests who experienced the same issue.

If you're coming to Miami to hit the beach, get some good food, and party. You will not regret staying at The Colony because it's right in the middle of all the action. The Colony is a $32 cab ride from Miami Int'l and unless you plan on going to King of Diamonds ($45 cab ride each way) or somewhere else outside of South Beach you won't need to take a cab. I will definitely stay here again and will definitely recommend anyone else to do so.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean views will be louder because they are right on Ocean Dr which is a busy street with...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BentleyJL
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We got a great good rate but even though, the rooms were small and old. The smell from the backyard was so awfull we couldnt have the windows open. Smelled like rotten fastfood. Had to wait 1 hour to check in because the lobby was crowded. Wouldnt come back. Great location right on ocean drive though!

• Stayed: September 2013