“A lot of money for a mediocre hotel with poor service”

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #44 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Fort Lauderdale
“A lot of money for a mediocre hotel with poor service”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Decided to spend July 4th at the Delano. I wanted to stay at a five star hotel along the ocean and had many options but decided to choose the Delano even though there were better rates being offered. I spent over $400.00 for a very modest room that was hardly what I would call a five star room. It seemed a bit dates, worn, blackout screens didn't work. In addition, the service was horrible. The plan was to spend the day at the pool. The pool boy never made his way over to us but we grabbed our own towels from the laundry bin. It was not that crowded yet we were unsuccessful in getting a server to bring us a menu or take our order. After a fourth attempt and 40 minutes later a server finally did take our drink order. When we wanted something to eat, it was feudal to get a server our way, so we decided to sit at the bar and eat.
The next morning we chose to eat the breakfast buffet. Boy, was that a joke! For over $60.00 for two, we feasted on a bowl of Kashi in a plastic bowl (just like the ones you get on an airiplane) a banana, and a cup of coffee! Really??

I did register a complaint to the front desk who placated me but alerting me they would look into it but never did hear anything more from them. Bottom line, there are lots of options to choose that are pretty amazing in South Beach. I would not recommend the Delano.

Room Tip: Wanted an ocean view room. I did get that but note there are no balcony rooms unless you go with a...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jeff S
, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Hello Jeff,

Thank you very much for detailing some of the shortcomings during your recent stay.
I'd like to take the time to at least touch on each of the items you detailed.
The average room rate around early July is about $400, however, if the room you were given was unsatisfactory, I apologize, certainly we should have rectified that situation for you. We do have several options available.
Secondly, and more concerning to me, is the service that you received, particularly at the pool. I have shared your review with the entire pool team and have specifically addressed some of the items you detailed. In light of the inevitable improvements that will occur as a direct result of your review, I am grateful to you for taking the time to provide this important information.
Breakfast, our continental breakfast has improved recently with increased offerings. We will continue to explore viable options to make the continantal breakfast well rounded, and more than satisfactory to the even the most discerning guests.
And finally, you mentioned that you received little or no follow up from the front desk regarding these issues. This above all is the most unacceptable aspect to me. I apologize for this, however, I am personally available to you. Should you find yourself in Miami Beach again, I will personally handle your accommodations and ensure that this experience is not repeated at Delano.

Many Thanks,

Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I first visited the Delano on a business trip and enjoyed a drink by the pool. I was so in awe of the grounds and beautiful venue that I promised myself for my birthday I would be back as a guest...and I did! I had the most AMAZING birthday weekend at the Delano! The staff was wonderful and very attentive. I had some issues with the original location of my room (near ice machine/elevator) , called and spoke with the manager Lee and he took care of that in a big way within minutes! Just amazing!!! I enjoyed a great spa day with girlfriends at Agua Spa located within the hotel and a beautiful brunch on Sunday morning. Unfortunantly I have to check out in the morning :-( . I LOVED so much that I vowed to make this an annual trip and have already spread the word to friends for their future visits to Miami that the Delano is the place to stay!!! I will be booking a room soon with the Delano for 2013! Can't wait!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Samia1981
, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Samia,

Thank you for the great feedback! It was truly a pleasure having you and getting to know you a bit. Of course you know, I'm always available to personally handle your accommodations in the future.

See you soon!

All The Best,

philly
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The hotel staff could not have been nicer and more attentive, the rooms were spotless and the hotel and pool are absolutely gorgeous. All around, a great place to stay in Miami.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Celebrated my BFF s bachelorette here. Began with champagne on the beach with three beds for nine girls. It was perfect. Best service on the beach by Big Mike, Gleb and Abdel !!! Thank you guys :)

• Stayed June 2012
, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback!

I'm very happy to hear that some of our world class beach staff had a great impression on you. I will certainly pass along your kind words. I'm not sure if you actually stayed with us or just enjoyed the facilities, but regardless, next time yourself or your friends are in town, please feel free to reach out to me personally. I will be happy to extend you that same Delano experience again and again!!

All The Best,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

my 1st time in miami and def the place to stay to get a feel for what miami is about.... 1st day we walked in - everything is lovely and grand... but we thought for the price we paid its a lot.... but the next day (1st proper day in the hotel) we realised its all about the atmosphere and service. Delano is def the place to be in miami - staff were absolutely amazing - when we booked the holiday breakfast wasnt included - got to the hotel and they said it was - saved us money!
made restaurant reservations for us
checkout was suppsoed to be 12pm but as our flight wasnt until 6pm they let us have the room till 3.30!
all the guys out the front of the hotel were so friendly and always happy to help

did feel there wasn't enough staff in the hotel reception - usually just the 1 person

pool area great atmosphere

Rooms were smaller than expected - esp as we got ocean king - bathroom was tiny - for one person only

Spa - lady called kim did my treatment - she was lovely lady!

we have stayed in some amazing hotels in my time but this has to have been 1 of the best ever holidays ive had - and was partly due to the hotel

was my birthday when we were there and the hotel sent a lovely platter of chocolates and strawberrys - my borthday night we went to a restaurant called barton G - def 1 to check out

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seema c
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This was Miami's highlight. Although our room was rather small we were completely satisfied we everything else. To start with the breakfast on the terrace ist simply fantastic. The service is perfect and they are willing to give you 100%. In the evenings people stream into the wonderful Philipp Stark designed lounge with the huge mirror leaning against a wall and the light voiles swinging in the breeze. Recommendation: order some oysters at the bar and add the ambience as spice.
The pool area is impressive and the location the best in Miami!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bushara
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The Delano is a classic icon on Miami Beach and it looks and feels just like when it was opend by Ian Scharger and Phillip Stark, everything is kept to perfection and looks brand new. The service just keeps getting better and we will continue to return every chance we have. Everyone is very friendly and the pool is unique in South Beach. Perfect for a romantic get away combined with a great dinner at Bianca!

Room Tip: Ask for teh Alcove rooms...city view, but larger bathrooms and sitting area, my favorites rooms at D...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple