“Interesting”

Ranked #46 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Bridgetown, Barbados
“Interesting”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed there particularly because of the raves we had heard about the decor. We had suite which was not large, as they have clearly converted an old property and had to work with certain constraints. This is not cheap for what is offered but it is nice to stay at a hotel that has tried to separate itself from the usual.
The unit was mostly white everywhere, except they had a green apple sitting on its specific little shelf. It can't be easy to keep an entirely white room in good shape but it was well maintained. It had a tiny balcony from which there is a view of the beach and ocean, over the pool area. there is zero parking on site so valet parking is virtually mandatory.
the food in their restaurant was good and well presented. we just had lunch as we like to try restaurants we have heard about and there are many in this part of Miami. the hotel is right on the beach accessible by a coded gate.The lobby with lots of mirrors and drapes, with little nooks and antique items is chic. there is a sushi bar in the long, wide corridor that connects the Front Desk area to the veranda restaurant. Overall, it was good, well located but a bit expensive. It is worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We made our annual trip to South Beach and to the Delano for our anniversary. Although the hotel is beautiful, the food wonderful, and the pool scene the best in South Beach, it is really the people that keep bringing us back. We are always remembered somehow, I don't know how they do it, and made to feel like true guests, but also friends at the same time. We had a minor room key issue that took a little time to sort out, but Stacy at the desk handled it quickly and even took the time to come up to our room on the 14th floor to make sure all was well. We love all the servers by the pool, but this time were waited on by Julie and Marco, both of whom are fantastic, very attentive, always smiling, and genuinely happy to help. Also a shout out to the pool and Rose bar bartenders, all very great, happy, and great to talk to. We will be back...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Entering the lobby of this hotel is like entering a dream! This surreal experience will continue through the entire stay, from the check in, to awaking each morning in the soft miami sunlight reflecting off all the surfaces in the stark white room having no concept of space nor time, to floating through the lobby stopping midway at the most sophisticated bar to be served by extremely charming bar tenders, to stylish patio restaurant with the most gracefully presented meals, to laying at the chicest poolside anywhere looking up into elegant palms floating in the bluest sky, while being served fruity cocktails by the sexiest staff. Leaving this hotel will feel like waking up during the most exciting part of a very titillating dream.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I, being the diligent and avid traveller that I am, called Delano Hotel at least three times to check and confirm details on visiting the pool I had heard so much about, for the day. I spent Friday night in (rather than clubbing with friends and fam) excited to rest up for Saturday morning so I can start a beautiful day at my fave and best...in a pool...with a yummy drink in hand.. But unfortunately, what a rude awakening I experienced instead thanks to Delano’s flaky and uncaring staff. I reached the Hotel after getting all decked out in best pool attire and was surprisingly advised that the pool is only for hotel guests! Huh?!? During my many inquiring phone calls I even had spoke to the Pool Concierge/staff (Julie) who had advised entirely different: I was told to come in the morning by 11am (as I did) or after 7pm and there'd be a minimum spend of $50 per person (easy!). When I explained this to the Front Desk manager and Front Desk Concierge (Pedro), they called it a training issue and dismissed me. I can understand that this Miami Hotel and Pool are exclusive which is exactly why I called many times in advance to ensure I’d be welcomed. The Hotel management did absolutely nothing to make up for this flakiness but instead were so careless and cavalier about wasting so much of my time and squashing my excitement – all in all, a terribly disappointing experience. Last but not least, I actually got a chance to see the pool for a moment and it’s SO not worth it! It’s a very small swimming area with lame music. Had I seen the pool first, I’d have never wasted my time and efforts. I happily ended up at Viceroy’s rooftop pool which BTW, consists of a Hot Tub you can actually swim laps in, a gloriously enormous pool, a most friendly and caring staff, and a DJ playing the hottest tunes – had a blast, well worth every penny spent (~$250)! So I say, Boooooo @ Delano and thank you for a fabulous day/experience @ Viceroy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Bin K
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Bin K,
I apologize that you left Delano disappointed in the pool policy. I understand you had called the hotel but the information you say you were given is not correct. Delano has always reserved the pool strictly for hotel guests during daylight hours. There are a number of reasons for it and I'll detail a few here as many people do often come by to see the pool during the day. It's important that we are forthcoming with valid reasons for this sometimes inconvenient or misunderstood policy.
1st, Safety and Security:
People that are relaxing at the pool or beach are not able to keep valuables on their person. Also, if they're in the pool or ocean, they have no choice but to leave some items unattended. One way that we protect our guests is to be conscious and in control of who enters the pool area.
2nd, Exclusivity:
Delano is known for it and our guests expect it. We also regularly cater to celebrities, artists, musicians and others who do not wish to be recognized or exposed any more than what is necessary.
3rd, Availability:
We have less lounges and pool beds than we do rooms. We have a responsibility to guarantee that our guests have chairs and beds available and that they always have first priority to all other amenities at the pool. Indiscriminately opening our pool to visitors during the day would effectively remove everything that has made this hotel, specifically the pool, so special over the years.
Lastly, Our registered guests:
Delano guests are among the most loyal in this industry. Our guests return because we take feedback seriously. Privacy, ambiance and personal, perfect service at the pool is among the most recognized and requested services that we provide. We will continue to deliver on that standard... even at the risk of creating minor inconveniences for some of our visitors.
With all of that being said, you had a bad experience and I apologize for that. This is not a personal matter and is simply a policy that has been in place for over 18 years.
I am glad that you enjoyed your accommodations at the Vice Roy and also welcome you to join us after 8pm at the Delano Beach Club any time.
All the best,
Dwight
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed several times at this hotel a number of years ago and recently returned with my extended family on vacation which included my mother and 3 teenage girls. We had a wonderful stay. The hotel, the pool and the beach are fabulous. The hotel also has a good gym. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. The location is perfect. Everyone was very friendly and provided great service. I want to give a special thank you to Tyler Dabestani. He greeted us every morning at breakfast and went above and beyond to make our experience special. We will definitely go back! My only criticism, is that we had 3 in a room thinking that the room had 2 double beds. The beds are smaller than a double, so it was tight for the 2 sharing the bed. When I discovered the bed problem, I tried to get a bigger room but the hotel was sold out. If you are looking for 3 to share a room, get the one with 2 queen size beds!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I travel to South Beach often for both business and pleasure. I was recently at a conference in Miami and stayed at the Delano. In a rush to check out I left a number of clothing items hanging in the closet of my hotel room. When I realized they had been left, I contacted the property immediately but was told no items were found. For a hotel of this caliber to be allowing items to be stolen/taken/discarded from rooms is ridiculous. Any other quality hotel I have stayed at in the past have been more than happy to return the items to me or at least attempt to resolve the issue. To make the situation worse, I went back and forth with the GM of the property and even the corporate risk manager for two months until I was told today that they don't intend to do anything about this and view the issue as closed. It would have cost them NOTHING to resolve this situation in a respectful and customer friendly manner. The Delano has forever lost a good customer.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Kenzie S
Springfield, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just came back from a South Florida adventure and stayed at several hotels. Delano isn't given
the respect it should be given, the service was the best I ever had starting with Stacey at check in. We arrived early and Stacey went out of her way to make sure we were comfortable until our room was ready, our free upgraded room was ready several hours earlier than regular check in time. At the pool the very Charming Marco and Henry made sure they accommodated all our requests and did a great job, make sure you ask for Marco at the pool. On the beach Fred and David gave us excellent service even when the two teenagers I traveled with just wanted a bucket of ice which was free. Fred and David went out of their way to make our group comfortable in the 95 degree temperatures. I travelled with two 16 year old girls and a college girl, the atmosphere was perfect for this age group. Delano has a sultry feel to it, with the lowered lights in lobby and the music playing thru the hotel. The pool area at night was very pretty, it had a dreamy feel to it. I stayed at the Loews last year and can honestly say the Delano is a much classier place to stay with larger rooms than the Loews. The only thing I can say is that I don't think this hotel is a place for a couple of toddlers just by the way the hotel is set up. There was maybe some very well behaved five or six year olds but I don't think it's appropriate place with little kids. I loved the Delano and so did the girls, I will stay there again the next time I'm in south beach.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear debbie j,
Thank you for submitting your review and for mentioning all the associates that made your stay memorable. It is people like Stacy, Marco, Henry, Fred and David that make Delano what it is for our guests. Delano has some of the most authentic and considerate employees anywhere in Miami Beach and I am happy to see that you had a positive experience with them. I will certainly ensure all that mentioned are made aware of your kind comments. If you are ever interested in returning please feel free to reach out tome directly. You may contact me at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com.
Kindest regards,