“Del - OH - NO!!!”

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #44 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I just completed a stay here while attending a 4-day work function and ... thank goodness that I wasn't paying the ridiculous tab!! If I had, I would have high-tailed it out of there only moments after stepping into the room.

Tiny bathroom?? Try to size you'd expect to find in a cruise ship's lowest level cabin. Moreover, they place inordinately expensive ($42) bottles of shampoo and conditiopublicner in the bathroom and every one of my colleagues was wondering if ANY of the cleansing products (even those in the shower area) were included in the room rate. They were but ... WHY ON EARTH create that confusion.

White room?? Not my design asthetic but OK. However, the floor is quite literally painted-white concrete! No rug ... no tile ... no "stamped" concrete! It felt like the floor of a community shower you'd find at a public beach - JUST DISGUSTING!

Food? It you see value in spending $32 for an egg, bacon and cheese sandwich for breakfast or $28 for a warm corn muffin - NO JOKE! Then, you'll enjoy this spot. We felt as if they took EVERY opportunity to rip us off and the coup de grace - when we asked the incredibly complacent folks at the front and concierge desks for menus from local eateries who would deliver to the hotel, we were told "no - we discourage your doing that"!!!!!

The hotel has one decent attribute - their beach is a lovely way to spend an afternoon. But be careful, if you think you and your spouse would like to share a "double" lounge chair - it will cost you $150 EVEN AT 4p and EVEN THOUGH you are forced to leave the beach at 5p because the hotel takes your seating away from you!!

The Delano was just the ANTITHESIS of gracious so our suggestion is ... RUN RUN RUN to the Ritz or the Lowes but DO NOT bother with the Delano at any cost!

Room Tip: There are NONE! We were told that EVERY BATHROOM throughout the hotel is the same size and I suspec...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank jodiep655
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Jodie P,
It's always off-putting to hear that we have missed the mark with one of our guests. I am sorry that your experience did not go over as well as either one of us would have hoped. I would also like to apologize about the confusion regarding the bathroom amenity pricing.
Regarding the design of our rooms, we have several room categories (some of which offer much larger bathroom options) and our standard rooms are of average size for Miami Beach. You also described the room floor as “painted-white concrete”. I understand how this can be perceived, but I assure you and all of our Trip Advisor readers that this is NOT how our room floors are made. The floors are actually made of bamboo wood and if you interested in proceedure & steps used in the process, I would be happy to put you in contact with my director of engineering, who can elaborate more on this.
With regards to the cost of our food and beverage items, our pricing is comparable to any higher end restaurant in the area. If you are looking for a something outside of the hotel, our concierge and front desk staff are more than happy to make recommendations. We would not discourage you from ordering food delivery services to the hotel if you so pleased, but as the hotel does provide the dining option for breakfast, lunch and dinner (through our restraints and room service), we do not keep menus on hand for outside food delivery services .
While we do have a section on the beach for our guests to lounge, the entire Miami Beach is managed by one separate company. So if you stayed at any other hotel directly on the beach you would be faced with the same pricing and closing times as you did at our beach section.
Again, I apologize that your stay was not adequate and even though you seemed intent on not returning, if you decide to (for business or otherwise) please feel free to reach out to me directly. Regardless if you stay with us or not, I truly hope you find comfort and satisfaction upon your next Miami visit.
All the best,
Dwight

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here because I was going to a concert at the Filmore and wanted to walk there. The hotel lobby and pool area is beautiful itself. The rooms are very tiny and the bathroom did not evwn have a tub. The amenities state that they are not free and a little bar of soap for the shower costs $26. The hotel wifi costs $14.95 and doesn't work. The housekeepers are very noisy in the morning by slamming doors and talking loudlyin the hallway. Then the hotel tacks on another fee with valet parking if you bring your own car. Ypu don't even have a choice. The Delano just likes to screw you put of your money. That was the lesson I got from my one and only night. I will never go back to this hotelm I'd rather take my business to the W or the Ritz.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Livia17
Reviewed 14 May 2014

When I arrived at the Delano on my latest trip, Jean Claude opened the taxi door said “you’re really hooked on this place.” He’s right – I am! No surprise, I had another excellent stay.

The Alcove room was clean, comfortable and serviced regularly. I spent a little time on the beach each day, but the pool is still my favorite. It was good to talk with old friends like Soledad, Diego and P.J., and also to meet new ones like Jeremy. The pool menu had several tasty options that I enjoyed. Check-in and checkout were a breeze.

While the hotel remains a stylish and elegant property in a prime location, the friendly and responsive staff is what makes this place great. I agree with the other reviewers – how the staff manages to make you feel right at home is truly exceptional. Dwight P. and the Delano team run a first class establishment. Of course, I recommend the Delano and I will be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JonB72
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is such a fun hotel!
When I arrived with my boyfriend - we were upgraded to a Penthouse suite! WOW!
The manager sent a card with a bottle of red wine, since we told the front desk, we were there to celebrate my birthday.
The swimming pool downstairs is a social scene, and I loved the chairs in the pool!
It is all full of games. When we came back from the beach, we visited the pas upstairs, and enjoyed relaxing treatment. There is a private tanning deck there, where you can enjoy total privacy.
Then - we sampled the sushi bar - lots of fun!
I can't wait for my next birthday.

Room Tip: Try top get one of the PH suites.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Delano has the perfect boutique hotel feel from the moment you arrive. The staff is extremely helpful and remembers each guest throughout the stay. Another plus for me, was the quick navigation to and from your room, but the biggest advantage of the Delano is the LOCATION....its situated right next to all the restaurants, shops and nightlife. Hard to beat their location and nightly rate they charge definitely reflects it. The other big benefit is direct access to the beach, where the Delano still offers their services. Stayed in the Alcove room, was fairly spacious and extremely clean. The room had 2 separate large closets and the bathroom was fair sized with a large walk in shower. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Since I was attending a show at Filllmore, I wanted a hotel at walking distance and chose the Delano on Collins Avenue.
I paid $462.16 for one night.
The hotel is beautiful, the grounds decorated by Stark, modern and sleek.
Unfortunately, the room, double bed one, was smaller than expected, the bathroom really small, only shower, no tub. A note indicates to you that nothing is free, the shampoo tiny bottle would cost you $26, the internet requires a $15 fee and does not work properly.
I am used to more space, free internet and basic toiletries with hotels that are part of the Waldorf group, or the Four seasons ones.

For my next show at Fillmore, I will not go back to the Delano.

Room Tip: Higher than 10th floor ( the traffic on Collins is non stop) and away from ice room and elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I do not often comment on surveys because decent service is fairly common at high end resorts these days, but personal service with genuine warmth is still rare, so much so that I feel compelled to write this. I checked into bungalow #8 by request, arriving in the morning after a long flight. The head of house services, Helene, personally insured that the unit was ready for me under 1 hour, brought extra flowers for my patio table and had engineering open all of the doors at my request. My team, from the moment I walked in, consisted of Sam,Soledad, Marco, and Henry. Special people with great charisma, energy, and graciousness. They made my guests feel welcome with effortless skill and precision. Nearly 20 years ago I walked into this hotel for the first time and I noticed a special magic about the place. I had litlle means at the time and was making my way through the world. 20 years later, I am a different person, but the place has still retained its uniqueness in the world. The treasure here is not the soft breeze through the hall, nor the perfect temperature of the pool, however lovely. It is the people - they are your treasure, protect them well. Please extend my deepest gratitude to all of the people who took it upon themselves to look after me like family. They were truly spectacular. 5/10/2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo