“A must go hotel!!”

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #46 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I missed staying here but dis get a chance tp visit.. Loved being thr .. Its ambience is jus v good.. The only problem is its not rite on the beach you have to walk at least 4blocks to get on the beach ... But once u see n enter yhe place you will be in love wod it..

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Delano South Beach Hotel

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just came back from 5 nights at the Delano. We've previously gone there for dinner, but never stayed. Its eye-candy when you walk in, so we always wanted to return and stay there.
My wife and I checked in around noon and had 5 great days and nights at the Delano. The pool service was spectacular. Solidad and Marco and Kenneth were super nice and kept us comfortable and well fed. They were always around to adjust our umbrellas - and as soon as we would arrive they found us a place.
Food on the porch was amazing. Bagel and cream cheese was surprisingly awesome (and that's a good review from a Montrealer who has also spent a lot of time in Manhattan). Mini crab taco's at the pool were the winner. They also come around with free fun stuff like frozen grapes and mister freeze's.
I don't think there is a better pool in the world to just mellow out and sunbath in. The edge of the pool is optimal to lay down on and cool off on during a hot day.
The room was comfortable. Supercool AC and quite quiet even though we were only on the fifth floor on the street side during the Memorial Day events.
In sum - if you want a great place to go for couples or girls or guys weekend - you would have a hard time beating the room, pool, food and service at the Delano. Highly recommend without any criticism. Special shout-out to the cool and helpful Jean-Claude from Washington Heights that helped us in and was fun to chat with.

Room Tip: If you have the cash, you can't beat an ocean view!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dwight P, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Scharfster
Thank you for your glowing review. It is so motivating to know when we hit the nail on the head when to our guest’s experience and I am thrilled to see your stay was just that. Thank you for the associates you named that helped make your experience memorable, I will be sure to relay your kind words to them. If you are ever interested in returning please feel free to reach out to me directly at Dwight.Palacious@mhgc.com. I am happy assist in any way I can.
Kind regards,
Dwight

Reviewed 23 May 2014

My fiancé and I chose the Delano because we thought it would be the perfect place to pamper ourselves. We stayed for 6 days at the end of March. Although we were never told when we booked, when we arrived, we were informed that the hotel was having pool parties and if our Oceanview Room was too loud, we could change. We are from Manhattan and used to noise, so we thought it would be alright. However, when we went up to our room, it sounded like we were in a nightclub, the hotel next door was shooting off fireworks (it was 7pm) and the room smelled like mold! We switched to a city view room.

We were totally unable to use the pool at the hotel during our whole 6 day stay! To make matters worse, we were not even allowed to walk through the pool to the beach at our own hotel because, as we were informed by the manager, the hotel had RENTED OUT THE POOL space to party promoters! The parties started at 10am and went until 2am EVERY NIGHT for 6 nights. We were not told anything about pool parties when we booked. We knew the hotel had a party vibe and were totally fine with that, but these pool parties were full of college aged kids who definitely were not staying at the hotel and were crowding the space so that hotel guests could not even use the pool-- for 6 DAYS!

This was our engagement trip, and the hotel did nothing! My fiancé had the ring shipped to the concierge, so they knew he was going to propose on this trip. Not only did they do nothing to make it special, they nearly ruined the engagement surprise by bringing the ring up to the room after my fiancé had told them NOT to do that.

We went to the Setai for dinner, and they immediately brought us champagne and a chocolate dessert to celebrate our engagement. We asked if they had pool parties that week and the response was, "no, we consider ourselves a luxury hotel." Well, we should have stayed at the Setai. If you are looking for a luxury hotel, do not stay at the Delano. It is nothing special. I still cannot believe they did not tell us when we booked that there would be pool parties going on so that we could not even use our pool. The excuse was, "well the booking office is in Las Vegas, so..." Obviously, if you consider yourself a luxury hotel, you should take the time to discover the events for the week and let your guests know so that they don't end up in the middle of a college type rave party.

Room Tip: The Oceanview room smelled moldy, I would opt for a city view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Ellie N
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stylish Philippe Starck design. Great atmosphere, best sushi bar in town and choice of pool and beach. Why would you even leave the hotel! On Wednesdays the bar becomes something out of the 30’s with the jazzy music and its art deco feeling.
Front desk are more than helpful, they are all so wonderful and always smile. I have stayed at other hotels in Miami in the past but now I always go back to the Delano- I truly enjoyed my stay in the Delano and I look forward to coming back soon. Thank you for your amazing work.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank FerGarcia-Romeu
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

I was there for cpl days and really needs renovations and its dirty when i mention it to manager, i was told they cant change anything its part of historic bla bla and i said u can paint inside and outside building u can see the stains from rust and rain
And chairs are so dirty they can remove cover and wash them, food was ok breakfast bit sad not much offered except typical cheap fruits like bananas and apples etc for the price of rooms and size and aging hotel better stay somewhere else, pool was good but during music festival they were kicking guests out in afternoon for evening party cause u need get table and spend over thousand

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Bellissima333
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I frequent Miami and South Beach, at least 3, if not 4 times a year, always trying different locations for a change of taste/pace. The last time I visited The Delano was probably 2009/2010 and I recall having a good experience, good enough to return again. It was a very hip boutique hotel at the time and I figured I had nothing to lose. While the building looked the same from the outside, there was much less to be desired after that. I was in complete disbelief from the moment I arrived.

As I waited in the lobby for reception, I could not help but notice the water damage in the ceiling accompanied by the mediocre attempt of covering it up with a Band-Aid consisting of white paint. The ocean front room assigned to me, too, was mediocre at best and riddled with evidence of poor upkeep. I could not help but notice the gobs of silicone over caulk on the windows that opened with difficulty. The in-room refrigerator was inferior to my dorm room refrigerator circa 1990. I am willing to bet it is ready to be thrown away. It cannot possibly be cooling at less than 50 degrees. The air conditioning in the room is also flawed as it will not drop below 72. The mirror on the wall, cracked.

It is always pragmatic to confirm nothing out of the norm is going on during the weekend you plan on visiting as this can adversely impact your experience. While The Delano was rather quiet this particular weekend, The new SLS (1 hotel North) and The National (1 hotel South), were having what appeared to be functions. The National’s DJ was over the top to say the least. The Delano refused to even bring in their DJ to compete Friday. While he came Saturday, he left early. There was no sense in him staying, particularly with his sub-par sound system. We could clearly hear the National’s music over his. If by chance you were there to relax, you certainly were not going to be doing any of that. A couple dozen folks at the pool expressed their desire to go next door as there was clearly more “energy” over there. A new DJ came Sunday. She too, was clearly frustrated as she was not playing with a full deck of cards. Frankly, the sound system was better and louder in the hotel lobby??

When you’re spending an average rate of about $600 / night, there are some expectations that come with that. I myself did what most people do. I booked on the name and reputation the Delano has been “free riding” (I am being kind) for 5 years. If you are an unaware or misinformed traveler, then no harm no foul. However, a quick online search will shock you to discover The National Hotel (1 hotel South) and the new SLS Hotel (1 hotel North), are comparable in location, size, amenities, yet a better value, for what clearly appeared to be a better travel experience. While I cannot confirm how current the interior pictures are of those hotels (as the Delano’s photographer had a fantastic portrayal), they both looked to be the same boutique style hotel, yet clean and newly renovated. While The Fontainebleau is in a class of its own and 25 blocks north, it too, is a newly renovated compound that cannot be compared and for a better value as well. I attempted to cancel the remainder of my stay later that afternoon. I knew I could do better for less in any of the 3 aforementioned options. Sadly, they would not refund me.

The common theme is management, because it cannot be a lack of money with the rates being charged. I do not feel it is too much to ask for a classy hotel like The Delano to have ample towels. There were frequent shortages. I discovered there had been great turn over in linens and part of the reason for the struggling service was due to the fact that towel service folks must run back and forth to do the laundry, taking away from the existing job description. This should not be a guest’s problem. Unfortunately it was this weekend. Once again, these employees simply did the best with what they were given, which was simply not much of anything. While I am certain it was a fluke, I witnessed not 1, but 2 folks who were turning over on their old rotted wood frame lounge chairs only to have one of the legs snap out from underneath them. These incidents occurred not 30 minutes apart from one another. Beet red faces from sun burn or sheer embarrassment? Fluke or par for the course? All I know is that capital reinvestment is not defined as a fresh coat of white paint.

At the end of the day, it is downright shameful to have your guests desiring to check out on day 1, bad mouthing your establishment in the pool, commenting on your inferiority to your competition, much less a guest who had a deplorable enough experience that he/she will not risk ever returning. The aforementioned simply fuels negative and irrefutable press that you must know has already been shared with countless people. I assure you these feelings did not lie solely with me. In my heart, I know The Delano did not set out to harm, but they certainly did not help their cause. Alas it is all too true. A good name is a result of many actions and lost by one…or sadly in this case, a half dozen or so.

Shame on you Delano.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Hany O
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is definitely a cool boutique hotel. Quite original and quite fun. The staff is very friendly. Loved the pool bar and the drinks and food served.

The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because the room was a bit worn. Also, for the price, they should give you free internet. I felt as though they were trying to "nickel and dime us to death" by putting the expensive shampoo and conditioner in our room. Made us wonder if we could even use the smaller bottles for free! There were no robes in our room. So we were going to stay for two nights, but after experiencing it for one night we high-tailed it out of there and stayed at the Hilton in Fort Lauderdale, where we had a jacuzzi in our room, the beach was much closer, the room was much bigger (with a patio) and for the price we were able to get a scrumptious room service for dinner, plus our parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a partial ocean view on a high floor. Otherwise, you'll be staring at traffi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends