“Dirty Delano”

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #45 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 17 October 2008

Simply put; the hotel is dirty! In the public areas; very lovely (unless you look at your chair / cabanas set up at the pool before they put the towel on your chair; that is a good indicator of the filth in the rooms).

There was black mold in the bathroom, stains on the carpet in the hallway, and stains throughout the room. I thought in the 1st room; it as just a ramdon thing (the Delano everyone says is so nice...). I changed rooms 3x's; all dirty.

The last night I was in Miami I went next door to the Ritz Carlton; SO much nicer.

Would recommend the Ritz for your trip to Miami and the Delano ONLY for dining and drinks (for that they are great!)

I have always liked the Morgans Group Properties; the Clift in SF for business, the Hudson Hotel & Morgans in NYC; so shocked they are operated by the same company.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank vacation456

Reviewed 14 October 2008

My friend and I went to Miami for a weekend getaway. we originally booked at the Shore Club. When we arrived, we were very dissappointed. Not to waste anytime there....we immediately called over to the delano. They accomodated us graciously and effortlessly.

From the moment we arrived we felt welcomed. Dwight at the front desk Rocks! The rooms are GORGEOUS and spotless!! Beautifully decorated. I felt like I was in heaven! the view was awesome.

The pool was serene. A few children were there but the staff was quite attentive to see that they werent bothersome. The staff at the pool was courteous and fast. Expect to pay a hefty price for drinks. ($15/Mojito)

The restaurant Blue Door was YUMMY!!!!! ( The waiter Sean was easy on the eyes too!! LOL) the restaurant and hotel in all was sexy and mature. Great atmosphere. It can be pricey but it is worth every penny.

I definitely recommend this Hotel to anyone looking to get away!! I myself will be going back!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank AtlantisGold
Reviewed 29 September 2008

I stayed at the Delano with a few friends a week ago. We work as travel agents in and around London and thought a few days away would be great and having booked our clients into the Delano previously, we thought we should at least practice what we preached.

On arrival we were not helped with our baggage from our yellow cab (was that because we didn't arrive by private limo?). We checked into our rooms and were really dissapointed with the condition of two of the three rooms. One room smelt of damp and had stains on the floor, walls and (to be disgusting) down the toliet, I presume from the last guest!! The other room was seriously tired looking and I estimate hadn't had a deep clean for many months. On night two at 3am I awoke to find a cockroache walking along my duvet and then found a further two in the bathroom. We spoke to the staff at Reception who could not be bothered one bit (again we obviously didn't have the right or shall I say expensive rooms). The pool bar was the most relaxing place although having not ordered a bottle of expensive champagne rendered us second class compared to others who were spending money like it was going out of fashion (obviously staff thinking kerching kerching in tips!!). During one of the evenings the hotel lobby becomes a hip happening place with the locals arriving dressed in not much more than diamonds and plastic surgery designer faces. My view on this is that we as guests subsidize the hotel during the week until the locals come out - you really are treated in a second class manor by the staff as soon as they see regulars appear at the bar.

Do I feel let down by the experience, NO (it's Miami afterall). Do I feel a fool for paying out quite a lot of money to stay here, YES. Being a travel agent we have access to all hotels along this stretch of Miami Beach and I would suggest anyone wishing to book a hotel to look thoroughly into all hotels before choosing this one as the hotels on either side of this one are superb. We will be suggesting some very good alternatives to our clients in the future.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Trailfindme
Reviewed 25 September 2008

The Delano is without doubt the highlight of my Miami trip. It allowed me the perfect opportunity to relax in their superb hotel.

It is unlike any other hotel you will have stayed in before on so many levels. It looks different - very chic, stylish, and modern. The staff treat you as a friend and not as a client - unlike the stuffy regular Five * hotels. Expect a very personal service and the most impressive service from hotel staff ever. The pool concierge, the doorman, the bellboy, the concierge...they were all the best I have ever come across.

The rooms are beautifully designed and very white! Everything fits around this theme including the bedside radio! It gave me inspiration to go home and redecorate my own place.

The poolside area is very large indeed with cabanas with flatscreen TV's available to hire. To say these are stunning is an understatement. There are sunloungers available to hire poolside too.

The pool itself is low enough to walk in - but I reckon that you will find floating around on an inflatable enough - white naturally. I am not a pool person - but I spent two days poolside such was the luxurious experience.

The pool leads directly onto South Beach and guests of the hotel have their own private part of the beach with sunloungers available so you have a guaranteed place by the water.

The bar and food service is of a 5* standard - but with a much better service than anywhere else.

I simply couldn't fault this place at all. Maybe the price perhaps but you get what you pay for here and with the pound strong compared to the dollar I had to take advantage.

I have already emailed the Delano directly complimenting their superb staff - the first time I have ever done this. But this was a very special experience. I'll be back for sure so long as I go back to Miami. If no going to stay be sure to go for a drink - you won't regret it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We stayed at the Delano for a few nights in early September and had a fantastic experience with many more ups than downs. Let's discuss all the postitives of the Delano. Service is incredibly fantastic which included the porters, front desk, concierge, waiters and especially the pool staff. They were all very attentive and met our needs.

The lobby is unique an fun and the Blue Water restaurant was delicious every meal we ate there. Dinners had beautiful atmosphere and outgoing vibes, while breakfast was subdued and relaxing - perfect.

Food and Drinks are expensive, but that is to be expected - we hardly left the hotel.

Now the downside of the Delano. It seems to be a bit faded and in need of a makeover. The room had peeled paint and black scruff marks all over. The leather chair had blue dye and holes and the windows were filthy. In addition, the hotel is a definite hot spot in South Beach on the weekend and the non-guests take over the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank scottyb72
Reviewed 16 September 2008

"I must say our stay at this hotel was very disappointing, We were really looking forward to our stay here and was very impressed with the website, however, on arrival we were not! As soon as we got out of the taxi it went down hill, We were not helped at all with our luggage, me and my partner were left to carry our own cases up the stairs with the porters standing by just watching, having a chat amongst themselves. Now we are not royalty but when paying over £300 for a room per night you do expect this, no? When we walked in to the lobby there was a strong stench of fish, the whole of the ground floor smelt of it. Nobu in the Shore Club didn’t have this smell so why did the Delano?

My overall view of the Delano, tired. It’s crying out for a make over, dirty carpets, marked walls, stained furniture. I think the Delano has had its day......"

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonSmudger
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Our stay at the Delano was very disappointing and we were really looking forward to staying there. When you walk into the hotel, it's really impressive but after closer inspection it's a case of all style no substance.

After we had checked in and went to our room we discovered the shower was full off hair so we complained and said we would go to the bar for a drink while it was cleaned. An hour and $100 poorer (yes, the delano is extremely expensive) and we returned to our room but it had still not been cleaned. We complained again, then returned to the bar, spent another $50 and returned to the room an hour later and it had finally been clean but we now discovered the mini bar fridge was broken. We complained several times while we were there but it was never fixed and in the end, we just gave up.

on the tuesday night we went out to dinner but when we returned weren't allowed into the hotel for 10 minutes while security were checking non-guests into the hotel for drinks. when we finally got in we queued at the bar for 40 minutes for a drink, while the "beautiful people" around us were served. When my husband complained to the bar staff , he was told if he didn't stopped complaining he would be thrown out!!! He indicated that we were actually paying guests and finally a manager came over and served us.

overall while the delano is a beautiful hotel, the service is appalling and they pay more attention to the "it crowd" that pops in for drinks than they do paying guests. We have stayed at numerous hotels around the globe and the service at the delano is very much lacking....as i heard some people say at the bar..."the delano has had it's day"

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Duncs88
DelanoGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2008

Dear Duncs88,

Would you please contact me so that I can research your complaints further. This experience about which you write is unacceptable and certainly not the Delano Experience.

Ellis von Cannon