“Loved the Delano”

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #44 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Loved the Delano”
Reviewed 7 December 2004

After reading all the reviews on the Delano, I was a bit sceptical about staying there, but decided to bite the bullet and see for myself. I loved it and will be returning in March. The staff were really helpful and couldn't have been nicer, loved the beds that were at the end of the amazing pool. The only fault would be the noise level at the w/end, but it is South Beach and people are here to have fun!
Looking forward to return trip!

Emma, Ireland

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 23 November 2004

My wife and I just spent our first night at the Delano as part of a 30th anniversary trip. I would recommend it to everyone for at least a night. It is very expensive considering what you get, but it was still worth it. We actually laughed at each other for spending this much on a pint sized room with a small window looking out at the ocean. But we chose to have as much fun as possible and had a blast. The staff was wonderfull. The rooms are small but cool beyond description when you get used to them. The main hall of the hotel is probably the coolest thing I have seen for a hotel. The pool is worth staying at all day just to people watch, and is also limited to hotel guests only. The restaraunts and bar are expensive, but very trendy and very fun. It is a young, in touch crowd, who are there to have fun. I would not stay there on a regular basis as I think there are better deals for the money, but I can say we truly enjoyed the experience and I am sure we will go back again.

5 Thank megmarc2
Reviewed 11 November 2004

My boyfriend and I just returned from three nights at the Delano in one of their two-story, poolside bunglows. Expensive ($1500/night), but we wanted to splurge. Here are pros/cons of Delano and Bunglow: Cons: No ocean view like I thought, just view of pool and gardens; loud as construction was going on next door (bulldozer); most expensive drinks in South Beach; crowded at pool; very dark at night (limited lanterns -- yes, it gives it atmosphere but too dark); also very cold inside Delano - a/c very high all the time.)
Pros: Beautiful bungalow -- all in white, exquisite details. Spotless. Wonderful aromatherapy scent. Nice things to buy from the hotel's spa, Aqua, in the room (e.g. aromatherapy candles and oils, Eve Lohm eye cream, T-shirts, suntan lotion etc. etc...) Great bathroom, great bath soap etc... Balcony that faces pool but you can't see that good because wooden railing is high - you really have to stand to see out unless you peak through wood. We are into nightlife so we didn't mind that poolside bar was loud until 3 a.m.---in fact, we were out till 5 a.m. two of three nights. Staff is wonderful at Delano -- address you by name which is nice. Food is wonderful, drinks are wonderful (albeit pricey). Also, spa (Aqua) at Delano is first-class as is David Barton gym. As for South Beach: There's much to see and do. Emerils at Loews down the street is a must for dinner as is Nobu at Shore Club for best sushi. We went to loads of neighborhood bars such as Liquor Lounge down the street. And as for 24-hour eateries: Jerry's Deli down the street and Cuban diner across from Delano (try the Basque omelette with huge pieces of ham). Also, must see is Spanish section down the street from Jerry's Deli (near Clay Hotel)--- Italian, French, Mexican restaurants as well as restaurant that specializes in Mojitos and gorgeous architecture. Would we stay at Delano again? Yes. (Even though we blew our travel budget for the next year!)

• Stayed November 2004
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 8 November 2004

Regardless of if you come to Miami to party or to take a rest, you don't want to have a building site next to your hotel room, neighbours dancing around above you at 3:30 am and then a herd of children screaming outside your door at 7 in the morning. OK, the lobby looks great, the food is amazing (but totally overpriced) the pool is great (if you can get a space) and the beach and the gym are unbeatable… but the noise! Apart from the fact that we did not receive the upgraded which reservations had promised us, not getting any sleep for 4 nights can make you very aggressive. Oh – and before I forget, the rooms ain’t all that! I suppose all the silicone at the pool makes up for it though.

4 Thank wheeeeetos
Reviewed 12 September 2004

one word describes the delano, AMAZING!
I loved the Delano so much it was so chic and glamous. I stayed he on two different times during my three week holiday and i loved the both times i stayed here! i just loved the everything funky and white theme, cause that is like so me but also i loved the staff! There was only two problems i had and they are only little problems and that is that the staff didnt have the bungelow that was had booked but oh well we stayed in a room which is cheaper (even though i would of loved to stay in a bungleow like my uncle!) and also only being 14 i know i am young but i hated some of the snooty young girls that were there, it isnt as if we dont all have money because like we couldnt stay there if we didnt so what is there problem! they look at you like your dirt. but if your someone that doesnt take no notice of ppl then you will be alright! but i must say that the staff are so helpful espically the resturant staff, doormen, bellmen and a tall man that worked behind the front desk he was very nice indeed! Please and thank you go a long way in life so use them here and you will be rewarded! The outside is like a fairy tale and larger than life everything is and the pool cobanas are so cool with plasmas and big white sofa's which are so cool at night!
sorry for going on but i loved this hotel so much and i havent even finished but i will anyway!
i would tell anymore to go here but just make sure you have the money because it isnt cheap but hell it is worth it!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 August 2004

I agree with the tepid reviews of the Delano. I stayed there four times before waking up to the fact that a number of other properties nearby are more preferable for any number of reasons. The facility is beautiful, as is the scene on some nights of the week, but the rooms are less than average (albeit clean), and the service and attitude are terrible.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 August 2004

Enjoying checking out the Delano one evening with a designer friend in a "gallery mood," simply to relish good design. Quiet, slim, well-dressed were we. Excellent posture. Small pores.
-----------------------
We were challenged by a grim and muscular bouncer guarding outdoor lounge. His first words? "Hold it, guys!" Yes, he actually said "Hold it, guys" to my elegant male companion and me, a [rather fetching sylph of a] woman. Is this richly comical? Who hires and schools gomers to staff a property renowned for cachet?
------------------------
I introduced my designer friend and myself and explained that we regularly visited design icons, for pleasure. I was giving Mr. Muscle a chance to thank us for our appreciation before inviting us to return or perhaps pointing out some delicious touch we might have missed. He asked us for our guest cards and said "This is as far as you can go."
--------------------------
Right. Definitely, both charm and nuance were barriers at that point.
--------------------------
Sorry, Delano. It ain't all about the white on white and expensive breasts poolside; it's about a social fluency that doesn't lapse and turn your decor into a cereal box design that misrepresents contents.
Later.