“What a beauty!”

Delano South Beach Hotel
Ranked #44 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
“What a beauty!”
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Delano is a beautiful hotel, a must see! Great breakfast, healthy lunch. Saturday night, the place is really something. 3 bars, all great, wonderful crowd... Will definitely go back there again!

Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
DelanoGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2009
Thank you, Ms. Moon Face! We look forward to having you make up the wonderful crowd again!

Ellis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ocean Isle Beach , NC
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I have been staying at the Delano for more then 6 years now. I started my trips for the music festival in 2002. I have only missed one year since our first time. The Delano hotel is by far the most magical hotel in all of south beach. South Beach is the play ground of the rich and famous. The delano is there resting ground. I have partied with more celebrities and wealthy over seas travelers then you could count on all of your 20 digets. I am booking my March 22-March 29 2009 vacation right now. I look forward to this trip more then any other I will take next year. Thank you always for such a wonderfull, sentual, exhilirating, soothing, experience year after year.... You only lack some repeat customer discounts. So expensive for 7-10 days

R.jordan
O.I Beach, Nc.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
DelanoGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2009
Wow! Thanks for these amazing words! We do not offer discounts to repeat guests, but invite everyone to check out or website for promotions and value-added packages.

We'll see you in March!

London, UK
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I stayed at the Delano for five nights from 28 October with my partner for a break in the sun. This was the third time we stayed at the Delano and the place is still immaculately maintained, beautiful and laid back and, as such, continues to be our favourite hotel in South Beach in spite of the many newer ones of a similar standard down the road (W Hotel, Gansevoort, Setai). We had an ocean sea-front room (category just below the suite I think) with a lovely king-size bed which was lovely.

However, two things really, really annoyed us:

1) Wi-fi is charged at an exorbitant rate (not included in the room rate). In this day and age it is ridiculous for a very expensive place like the Delano to make a couple of extra bucks out of their guests by charging for something which is available for free so widely now. If we had stayed at a motel for next to nothing I wouldn't have minded to pay for extras but at the Delano this is just sad, sad, sad!

2) On our last day we asked for a late check-out for around 5pm. Given we were returning customers we were expecting some cooperation from the front desk staff. We were wrong. We were given the following options: stay in our room until 1:30pm for free, pay an additional $100 for every hour after that time and, if we wanted it after 4pm we would have needed to pay for a further full day as they couldn't clean the room after 4pm and thus not sell it for that night. As it happened the hotel was exceptionally quiet while we were there and numerous hotel staff told us that they had never seen the place this empty. Chances that they sold our room on the day we checked out were close to nil. My guess is that the occupancy rate during the week was 50% max. Given we were returning clients the lady at front desk, rather than blindly reciting the rules for late check-out, should have turned her brain on and cut a deal with us. As we were on holiday we were not in a mood to argue at all and simply left the room at 1:30pm and showered and changed at the spa in the evening (charge for that is $10 per person which is another bad "let's make some quick extra bucks off our clients cause they don't have a choice anyway" Delano joke). It is just mind-boggling how uncommercial and inappropriately trained some staff are which isn't their fault of course but management's. I even wonder if the lady saw whether we come to the Delano every other year for almost a week. In tough economic times like these I expect more cooperation and leniency from a place like the Delano especially after almost a week there where we used the restaurant/pool bar/Rose Bar/spa every day and were thus "good customers".

3) As a paying hotel guest you get two free mattresses on the beach per room. The umbrella is charged extra. Do I need to say more? I guess this is even sadder than the wi-fi charge,

To summarise, the place itself and the pool/restaurant/bar/spa staff are all pleasant and recommendable. However, the place starts the get let down by management. Especially the check-out situation left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LonMiaMyk
Many thanks for your loyalty. I enjoyed reading your comments, especially those regarding look and vibe of Delano—that you still find it fresh after all these years. I do hope you will come back and spend some more time with us. In the interim I would invite you to create a profile through our newly revamped website. This will link all of your Morgans visits and allow you to tell us a bit about your likes and preferences. By booking online through this profile, you help us to recognize you as a repeat guest (and we do like to toss in a little extra here and there when we can identify our repeats).

We hope to see you again soon!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 October 2009

great place to stay,very attentative staff, not sure about the nightclub in the lobby, was a little strange, but overall a great stay

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
DelanoGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2009
Thanks Mark. I’m so happy to read your comments about our staff—YES! They are the ones who make the magic happen. Our lobby does take on a lounge-y atmosphere on the weekends and Tuesday nights, just one of many steps we took to reinvent the hotel experience some 14 years ago. I hope you will come back again soon.

ellis.voncannon@morganshotelgroup.com
ILL
Reviewed 12 October 2009

So I called up the Delano Hotel lobby to see if I could grab drinks by the pool around 2pm with a friend. I told the nice lady I wasn't a guest but asked if it was alright. She said yes. After getting there, they promptly turned me away and said I had to be there at 7pm for non-guests. The manager, some Ellis guy asked me twice what my name was...referring to the fact that I wasn't famous. I told him my story, and he quickly said it's not policy for non-guests to go to the pool bar before 7pm. I told him how I called ahead of time, however by the time I finished, he turned his back to me and barked "No". So I left, and I must say, I have never been treated like this before. Completely astonished. I work in the financial district in Chicago and have been talking with my colleagues about this hotel. Everyone likes the pool, but the consensus is... the rooms are very dirty and worst of all, the people there don't make you feel welcomed. I do not recommend this hotel. (at least for Americans)

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank peasantboy
DelanoGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 26 October 2009
Once again, I’m sorry if you were misinformed about accessibility of our pool bar, which is open to non-guests in the evening. As I mentioned to you repeatedly, our Water Salon is for the exclusive benefit and enjoyment of our guests. Further, I would hope that others looking on this site for hotel recommendations would consider the overwhelmingly positive comments of those who have actually stayed here, as opposed to those of disgruntled passersby who weren’t allowed access to the bar for one reason or another.

Kind regards,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 October 2009

FANTASTIC!!!
The attention to detail was unbelievable!!!
The rooms were great, the infinity pool was beautiful and the service was excellent!!!!
You did NOT need toleave the hotel!
It was pretty pricey but a great experience worth staying there at least once!
The hotelright next door lookslikeit wouldbe worth checkingout too they were just having their soft opening when I was there ...looked nice...and reasonably priced.

Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
DelanoGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Delano South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2009
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to write this review. You are correct that you don’t need to leave the hotel--we have several guests, like yourself, who find that everything needed and wanted is found behind our ficus hedge.

We hope to see you again soon!

Essex, UK
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Not stayed in this plush and beautiful art deco hotel, but always visit the bar for a pre meal drink.
Staff excellent and drinks good - pricey , but nice to experience. It means 'Miami' to us, before we wander off to Lincoln for the people watching and dinner.
Eaten here a few times and food is good although again, priced to suit the setting.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank matjackson
I hope you will decide to stay with us on your next trip to South Beach. I'm happy that you enjoy our restaurant and bars.

Kind regards,