“We had a wonderful visit” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shore Club South Beach Hotel

Shore Club South Beach Hotel
Ranked #61 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Glencoe, Illinois
“We had a wonderful visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

I got my room via Priceline, and worried that I would be treated like a second-class citizen for having done so. I arrived on a Sunday night, and was relieved to be given a room with two beds (something I couldn't request on Priceline) since I was traveling with my 16 year old son. The room we were initially assigned to was small, facing Collins Avenue, and had been freshly painted. Within seconds of entering the room, the paint fumes gave me a headache. I went back down to the front desk to request a different room, and was incredibly fortunate to interact with Mario, Assistant Front Desk Manager. He apologized for the paint fumes, and upgraded us to an oceanfront room with a balcony because he'd overheard me telling the first front desk person that the trip was for my son's 16th birthday. I can't tell you how much that gesture of kindness meant to me. My son was absolutely thrilled to have such a great room, and it made our vacation.

While I found the hotel rather sterile (I love modern and sleek, but this was modern bordering on cold) the people we interacted with couldn't have been nicer. From the housekeeping staff, to security (couldn't get our safe to work), to pool and beach staff, everyone was friendly and nice--honestly, unexpectedly so after reading some of the reviews on this site.

Thank you Mario, and all the staff we interacted with, for making our trip a special one.

I hesitate to even remotely criticize since we had such a good experience, but we are clearly not the target for this hotel. I was older by a good 20 years than anyone else, and my son was one of very few kids/teens. The pool area had very loud music, which I didn't like but my son did. And it was noisy at night because of the late night party-ers. But the beds were very comfortable, the bathroom was lovely (would've appreciated some storage), and the location on the beach was stellar.

Room Tip: Request a tower room.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
shoreclubmanagers, Guest Relations Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2011
Dear dancer250,

Thanks for your review! I'm very happy to see our initial impression was changed and Mario helped put a smile on you and your son's face again! Thank you for visiting us for such special ocassion and I'm glad you recognized our staff's friendliness and attentiveness--and thanks for confirming it in person and not going by what some reviews say!

Jennifer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

I booked a night at the last minute on priceline. Arrived to find a room which had a bed and four walls and almost no other space. Upgraded for $150 to a larger room with a side view. Check in took ages and my bags were locked somewhere in the process and took a while to find. Expensive valet parking but you can do it yourself round the corner.
Room was a little too trendy for my taste. White with hard floors and a cold feel. The shower was large and the bathroom fine. Check out took too long too.
Overall a feeling of expensive pretentiousness with little content and value.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Dear bubu3,

I'm sorry we didnt meet your expectations. We do recognize we might not be the hotel for you as you did not like or design and concept.

Bookings done through priceline only allows for a superior room category, but I'm glad we had availability to offer you something with a view. Also, valet parking is comparable to other hotels in South Beach.

Thanks,
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2011

This hotel's best days are behind it: rooms look tired, hotel doesn't look very clean and service is appalling!

The hotel is composed of different buildings, and if your room is located in the Nobu tower, you'll have to go through the restaurant every time you wish to go to your room. The elevators bringing you to your room are in need of renovation (and even smell...). Don't be surprised either if you end up in the kitchen.... Corridors are not really clean. When we were there, the bin next to the elevator was piling out with rubbish... more than a day later, the bin was still piling out ... with the same rubbish.

Nothing special to say about the rooms: they are (of course) small, bathroom is not really practical.

And if all of this isn't enough for a bad experience, the worst has still to come: level of staff service. Staff doesn't look very interested and is more concerned about their attitude than by how they can give the guests an enjoyable stay. They are just not interested.

Be aware, on Sundays there's a pool party and you will have no chance to get a sun bed at the pool. Pool staff reserves the majority of the beds for non residents, although they won't admit it. But when you see all the non resident guests arriving and taking the best spots (while heavily tipping the pool staff), you get the picture. Also know that you have to pay to get an umbrella at the beach, not something you expect in a 4 star hotel.

If you like staff with attitude, tired rooms, loud music at the pool and the feeling of being in a "hip" hotel, then this is your place. If you actually like a hotel with proper and friendly service where you feel you're a guest, then Shore Club is definitely not the place to go to.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear FergieBrussels,

I'm sorry to read you had an unsatisfactory experience with us. Your comments help us assess and improve our operations.

I would like to comment a few things that you pointed out. Our elevators were recently renovated as part of our property enhancement project and they look beautiful! Our guest rooms size is comparable to other hotels in the area but had we known you needed more space we could have worked with you to find an alternate room.

Chairs by the pool are first come first serve basis and our staff gives priority access to hotel guests during their Sunday pool party, when the pool is available to non-guests as well. Pool beds usually have a bottle service or minimum consumption and thus are reserved for guests who would like to have this added service. I'm sorry you did not enjoy the pool atmosphere with the music and energy. We do however, welcome guests who would prefer a more quiet experience to take advantage of our beach pool or beach.

At the beach, the chairs and umbrellas' service is done through a contracted company, which works with all hotels in South Beach.

If you would reconsider and would like to visit us again, please let me know directly and I will oversee you enjoy your time.

Berkeley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

For a Morgans Hotel - I expected the best in terms of quality. After staying at the Shore Club for the weekend - I was surprised to find that the property was a bit worse for wear. In general - the hotel looked like it was just not being kept up to prime with crumbling and cracked walls and corners throughout. My bathroom floor needed a good scrubbing. The small pool had a ring of grubby dirt around the entire top perimeter wall. The service was spotty - long waits on requests or even needing to remind the staff that a request had been made. Of the 2 showers in the spa's ladies locker room - one didn't work, the handle looked like it had fallen off long ago. The spa reception staff was not helpful or informed - for $150 massages - I expect clean towels and well-kept facilities at the least. For a 4-star hotel charging 4-star prices - I was surprised by all of this and would probably not stay at this hotel again until it is renovated. Hopefully other Morgan Hotel properties are being kept up to snuff.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

The Shore Club is a little trashier than it once was but I love this place. The Italian restaurant is one of the best I have ever eaten in. Definitely the best iced latte and salad nicoise I have ever had.

The rooms are very simple all white with cement floors... I love the simple white but the cement floors get a little dirty and the shower leaks water everywhere.

But this place is really great if you are looking for a fun place for a good time. Also surprisingly I could sleep very well, I couldn't hear any of the noise from inside the room.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
shoreclubmanagers, Guest Relations Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Jetsetprincess,

Thanks for your review. We have installed area rugs on all our guest rooms to add color and warmth! I'm sorry you had a problem with your shower. I hope it was reported and fixed.
Will you visit us again soon for another fun trip?

New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

I recently spent a few days at Shore Club in late February. The loft suite with balcony room type was fantastic. Service was wonderful - from LaToya at the front desk who is personable and professional - to the pool staff. Having typically stayed at Delano or the Raleigh, the Shore Club was a relaxing addition to great hotels in Miami. I stayed over the weekend so experience the lively Sunday at the pool as well as a chilled Monday and Tuesday. I highly recommend it and look forward to returning.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
PaulSNewYorkCity,

I'm very pleased you enjoyed your time at Shore Club. Thanks for complimenting our guest rooms and staff, especially one of our super stars Latoya! Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future and host your referred friends.

Thanks,
Roslyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

I recently stayed at the Shore Club where I have stayed many times. I have noticied a trend where the hotel allows non-guests to rent a chair on the beach. This leads to large numbers of people coming and renting one chair and being among the hotel guests. This is not meant to sound snobby but at a room rate upwards of $500 dollars one expects a certain experience which is not met by having large groups of people. One also feels slightly ridiculous paying such a high price when the same experience could be had for $20. Furthermore , if i were a guest of the hotel and came to the beach to find the chairs all occupied I would really have to question why I was paying prime rate. These "non-guests " also tax the hotel staff and decrease the service to the paying guests. I have heard of this at other resorts in the Caribbean. These resorts should think carefully about this policy lest there high paying guests go elsewhere. I love this hotel but will think twice about next year .

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
shoreclubmanagers, Guest Relations Manager at Shore Club South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2011
Dear vm11,

Thank you for your review. All beaches in Miami Beach are public by City Ordinance. We work hard to ensure that we have a beach chair for all guests desiring one, if we failed in this instance, we sincerely apologize.

We would love to have you next year and I guarantee you will have a great chair location and service at the beach.