“Unforgettable”

Ranked #45 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Halifax, Canada
“Unforgettable”
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I used to stay at the Fontainebleau years ago when it was a Hilton property and stopped because the service was so terrible and the staff were so rude. This was my first time back at the Fontainebleau since the renovations and not being a Hilton hotel and I can honestly say (with the exception of one scenario) that this was the absolute best hotel experience I have ever had (and I travel a lot!!). It started with Olivia Roberts who checked us in and she was welcoming, friendly and when I asked if it was possible to be in a quiet room away from an elevator, she very professionally and beyond my wildest expectations took care of me by giving me the best hotel room I have ever had. I will return to this hotel just because of her exceptional service. Our room was super clean and comfortable and it MADE our stay in Miami perfect. I had a car valet-parked and the valet staff were exceptional -- professional, friendly and incredibly efficient. Our stay was so amazing at the Fontainebleau that we hated to leave and can't wait to return -- we will only stay here now when we travel to Miami!!! The only complaint we have was that service at the pool was not great. It took forever to get waiters and although the hotel has a policy that guests are not allowed to claim chairs for longer than an hour when they are not physically using them, it was very common for people to have claimed chairs (by placing towels, flipflops, books on a chair) and then they would disappear for hours which meant other guests couldn't get a pool chair. There were six of us one day wanting to spend a day at the pool and two young ladies had 8 pool chairs tied up with their stuff....when we asked if they were using the chairs one said "no" and offered them to us while the other quickly jumped in and said that they were saving them for friends who had yet to arrive at the hotel. After 2 hours we mentionned this to one of the pool deck staff (because we still needed pool chairs and were 6 people sharing 3 chairs) who was extremely rude to us and told us that the chairs were being used by people who were in the pool (which was not the case as these two ladies had already told us that their friends weren't even at the hotel yet)....this same person (when my 10-year-old-son went to get a dry pool towel from the bin) very rudely snatched the towel from my son's hand and told him he couldn't have the towel. We watched these two ladies all day and after hanging onto 8 (EIGHT!!!!) prime pool chairs all day, their friends never showed up...so they tied up 8 chairs for an entire day for two people while others went without. This actually ruined our day at the pool. Other than this one incident, our stay was perfect and the staff were all extremely professional, helpful, friendly and courteous. I would suggest a more enforced policy around people claiming pool chairs that aren't being used -- only suggestion for improvement. Our stay was truly unforgettable in a perfect way and we will now be lifelong Fontainebleau customers!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
FBGuestRelations, Quality Operations Management at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, 20 March 2011
Your insightful feedback and the highest ratings are the most rewarding privilege to us. We are grateful that you decided to return following our rebirth in late 2008. While your generous compliments are wholeheartedly appreciated by our entire team of over 2,000 employees, let alone Olivia Roberts, we are also extremely embarrassed to learn about the unfortunate incident with our pool services mentioned. Please accept our deepest apology for our failure to ensure your comfort and well-being that resulted in your disappointment this time.

With your permission, we wish to connect with you in the hope of understanding any other specifics of the occurrence and assuring you of our commitment to immediate improvement.

Quality Operations / Fontainebleau Miami Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, NSW
Reviewed 19 March 2011

When we told the taxi driver to take us to Fontainebleau, he said, "It's the best!" Another driver said it is an icon of Miami.
It is beautiful, and it is the place for the beautiful people. We are a family of five (children 6, 4, and 2), but still felt comfortable.
A very cool experience: Pumping house music from the dayclub poolside area - the sound of laughing children from the kids pool area. I fully appreciated the soundtrack being broadcast right around the whole pool area - very Miami.
Beach location excellent; toys available for the children to use.
There have been other reviews questioning the value proposition of this hotel. You wouldn't be staying at this place if you didn't have money. However, one looks for real value anywhere. For example, @ Vida, they only charged my wife and myself for the buffet breakfast; the kids ate free - great value! Two of our children were to share the sofa bed; they found it to be very uncomfortable. When we called to complain, the service desk sent up a rollaway at no charge - good value.
18% in-built service charge - no good. I have been told since, this is a Miami thing.
Location is good - if you wanna stay at the resort and do nothing else. Otherwise, you need a car. Parking is over $30 a day - not good value, particularly in light of our story:
Took a car up to Aventura Mall - awesome shopping - then came back down to South Beach to finish the day. Drove back to Fontainebleau at around 1130pm on Saturday evening. Absolute gridlock around the resort. We spent ONE HOUR in the car, about 10 metres from the driveway of the hotel. If it wasn't pouring rain, I would've sent the family into the hotel first, and for me to park the car. BTW, there is no self-park, only valet. Reasons for the parking chaos appear to be the overwhelming popularity of Liv nightclub, and the hotel bars. That's understandable, they are very cool venues; but the lack of traffic coordination by the hotel valets and parking attendants was sorely lacking. To be charged $35 for this was just ridiculous.
I would only recommend this hotel to my cashed-up single, or childless couple friends.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for having chosen us as the destination of your family trip from Australia. We are pleased to hear that not only you and your wife but also your three children enjoyed our services and offerings to the fullest. Nevertheless, we also realize that the value perceived in relation to some aspects of your experience left much to be desired. Despite the common automatic gratuities within the area, employees must remember to earn them by providing the most personalized luxurious service for you. Regardless of the volume of traffic that our nightlife entertainment may have attracted, the unusually lengthy wait you suffered upon returning from shopping and entering our driveway is just as unacceptable to us as to you and your family. Please accept our apology for the oversights and be assured of our commitment to further improvement.

We sincerely hope for the opportunity to renew the less favorable impression left in your memory.

Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 March 2011

While the hotel looks quite luxurious, the services and size just do not lend to a relaxing, upscale vacation.The hotel is more like a huge convention hotel. It took over 15 minutes and two elevators to get from the room to the pool area.
Forget getting coffee in the morning, 20 minute line to buy a $4.00 cup of coffee.
Chairs by the pool were not free, and usually all full by 9 am. The beach was much better.
The food was mediocre and expensive.
The wait to get your car from mandatory Valet service was 45 minutes . While we always called in advance for our car, it was never ready.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sls068
Your candidly expressed personal opinion is truly appreciated. All our poolside lounge chairs are free of charge for any registered hotel guests at all times. You may be referring to other optional offerings such as opium beds for added comfort and luxury. It is extremely disheartening to know that your own experience on multiple occasions clearly did not reflect the responsive service we strive to deliver every day. While your ratings of our guestroom quality and cleanliness are generous, we realize the severity of your disappointment and apologize for any shortcomings observed this time. We just hope that, during your visit, there was an opportunity for us to become aware of the challenges you suffered for any immediate remedies we could have provided.

We hope for the chance to connect with you and make every possible effort to restore your faith.

Columbus, OH
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I've had better service from a Holiday Inn Express. Below are a few of the problems we have had. We're still at the resort, but leaving tomorrow.

1. Washcloths were not in the room, nor was shampoo. They brought them up on request but it took an hour. The next day we had no washcloths again after the room was cleaned. Maybe wealthy people just use their hands. I prefer cotton.

2. The remote control in the room does not work unless you stand literally 6 inches from the tv.

3. The service at the pool bar was slow and somewhat unattentive. When I got the check no one mentioned that there had been an 18% service charge added on. It DOES say that at the bottom of the receipt but it was too late by the time I noticed. My mistake. However, I think if you are going to pay 18%, you should get something in return.

4. My wife has been on the phone for 15 minutes getting transferred around to get an answer to a simple question. At a hotel like this, you might expect someone to take ownership and say, "I don't know the answer but I will find out and call you back."

5. Everything is overpriced and unspectacular. A beer here is $7 and they pour it out of a can.

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank lt1vetteboy
FBGuestRelations, Quality Operations Management at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, 19 March 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your personal experience. We are deeply embarrassed to hear the appalling shortcomings mentioned, and hope that, during your stay prior to your departure, an opportunity had been given for us to become aware of and apologize in person for your disappointment and correct all. Our daily housekeeping service should never be left incomplete, no lack of responsiveness should exist in our service, the television remote battery should have been inspected prior to your arrival, any inattentive staff never warrants the automatic gratuity, and your wife should never have to wait more than a moment, let alone 15 minutes of repeated transferring, for us to assist you in finding answers to any questions.

Our only hope is that, though belated, there is still a chance to connect with you for the recovery of your faith.

Minnetonka, MN
Reviewed 18 March 2011

The Fontainebleau in Miami is a beautiful hotel/resort! It has great food, nightlife and plenty of places for relaxation. Only a $10 cab ride to South Beach. Very friendly staff, beaufiful rooms and great views. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Receiving such rewarding compliments as yours is a true privilege to us. We are sincerely grateful for your recent stay and wonderful feedback.

Your loyalty and recommendation mean the world to us. Please rest assured of our continued commitment to becoming the hotel of your choice for life.

WI
Reviewed 18 March 2011

It was great overall but all of us flew in from the midwest tired by the time we got there. Our flight arrived in at around 1pm Florida time and they refused to let us check in because the check in time was at 4 and we arrived earlier which we understood. We grabbed a bite to eat and at 3:30 they still would not let us check in because it was not 4. At dinner we went to Gotham. All the steaks were very over cooked, and the lobster was frozen. The pool area was spectacular. The cabana and drinks were amazing. The rooms had excellent views. The stay overall and relaxing was good yet not perfect.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Your generous ratings and overall positive comments are most appreciated. Please accept our sincere apology for the extremely disappointing check-in experience you suffered this time. Had there been any available accommodation comparable to your reserved room type at the time of your initial arrival prior to our check-in time, and our standard service been delivered, the start of your stay would have been just as seamless and pleasant as expected. The shortcomings at Gotham are equally shocking to us, and we would like to trust that your orders were immediately corrected at least.

In the hope of renewing your less desirable impression, we would be grateful for the opportunity to hear from you.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Just spent 3 days in Miami here and loved the hotel. I had been there 10 years ago, and didn't recognize it today since the renovations. It is spectacular - truly a 4 diamond hotel. (It is almost as wonderful as the Wynn in Las Vegas.) The rooms are clean, well appointed, and comfortable. There are fantastic restaurants (Hakkasan and Scarpetta) and a fabulous pool area and beach. The Bleau Bar is fun and 'happening' (although the drinks are outrageously priced - 6 drinks cost $160). However I was there for a conference, and I believe that the hip atmosphere, late night fun, and "leg show" (stunning women with long legs and miniskirts everywhere) enticed the conference goers, resulting in very poor morning attendance. By noon, the attendees were all there,but I suspect many of them had to sleep in after a great night out. I still got what I needed from the conference, but I wouldn't consider having a event there or sponsoring a conference. Also, rooms above the Bleau Bar are subject to loud music all night long.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
FBGuestRelations, Quality Operations Management at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this review, 18 March 2011
Your generous compliments and recommendation are most appreciated. We are pleased to know that you fully enjoyed our service, guestroom features, the decor as well as your dining experiences at some of our signature restaurants. With regard to your observation of the conference attendance in the morning, we provide the highest level of coordination and alignment with the theme and purpose of each program or event as desired by the client to ensure its success; however the individual attendee's conduct may determine whether our nightlife entertainment should be considered positive joy, or mere distraction.

Thank you very much for your visit. We sincerely hope to be chosen as the destination of your leisure trip to Miami Beach.