“Fontainebleau Cruise Hotel”

Fontainebleau Miami Beach
Ranked #42 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Superficial, expensive - everything a la carte! From the bellman who takes your car key (tip), to the bellman who takes your luggage and gives you a stub to retrieve later (tip), to the bellman who delivers your luggage (tip), to the bellman who takes your stub to get your car 15 m later (tip) because you needed to return car to rental agency.

Hi tech to new limits- if you lift the minibar cashews, chocolate box, , m and m's, water bottle ($10) , wine 10 oz ($40), etc more than 20 seconds you are charged for it! What about kids ???

Charges for Internet in today's world, pool chairs, it's like if you lean on the handrail you will be charged for support!

If this is upscale- back to the value hotels.

Hotel is pretty, but enclosed like a cruise ship .

If I wanted a cruise I would have taken one!

I wanted to experience Miami beach.

No thanks

4  Thank Lefkara
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

We appreciate the comments regarding your stay. We understand your concern in regards to the value of your experience. However, our prices are in line with all other luxury properties on Miami Beach. We will be sure to share your review with our team, and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again at some point in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

First of all, it’s a huge property, 1500 rooms I think, in 4 separate buildings. We were joking that you need to take a taxi to get to a beach or another tower. The benefit is that it has many pools and excellent gym and spa facilities given its size.

I was participating in a conference and stayed there for 2 nights. I had an oceanfront balcony room in the Chateau building. The view was beautiful, the balcony spacious, but you should be aware that the partitions separating your balcony from your neighbour’s are waist high, and give no privacy at best and a security concern at worst (that was an issue as you’ll see later).

Given the luxury branding and pricing of the hotel I expected certain items/conveniences included and was disappointed to find no complimentary bottle of water, no morning newspaper, no preliminary invoice under your door, no express checkout options (unless they hide them well), no handy list of TV channels available... just to give you a few examples. On the positive side Wi-Fi is included and there was a Mac in the room.

I would never return to this hotel, however, for another reason. The hotel seems to have an identity crisis. It was occupied by two distinct groups of travellers: conference participants and young holidaymakers usually looking for places to party (NOT families). The nightclub downstairs is a big draw. That became a problem during my second night when just as I was ready to go to bed (11pm) the room next door came alive with voices of multiple women. Since there were thin connecting doors between the rooms, I couldn’t ignore it and after half an hour called customer service. They apologized and said they would call security for me. 20 min later nothing happened. I called again; this time got transferred to security who didn’t acknowledge that they had even been called before. 5-10 min later they knocked on the door there and asked them to tone it down. They did and I managed to fall asleep until I was woken up at 5am by similar noises from the same room. I assumed that my neighbours had just come back and would go to sleep soon. Unfortunately, at least 4 people went out on the balcony, moved heavy chairs about, and made themselves comfortable talking, laughing, screeching occasionally etc. Finally, I had to call security again at 6 and things got quiet. I have fully expected to get a call from a manager in the morning offering me apologies for having to call security 3 times in one night (I have never done it before). No apology came. I was only glad that this happened on my second night there, prior to my departure and not on the previous night when I had to speak at the conference the following morning.

Reception is another problem, both during check-in (2:20pm) and check-out, the lineups were huge and if checking out around 11 you should allocate 20-30 min to do it. Other issues like slow service in the coffee shop downstairs, poor selection at a breakfast buffet, food and drink prices, too far a distance to walk anywhere... they all seem minor by comparison.

Overall, I would certainly not return to this hotel with my family and will actively discourage my company from organizing another conference there.

Room Tip: Chateau is an old building that has undergone renovations, ac is noisy and connecting doors thin.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Canadiana2008

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I would like to apologize for the challenges you encountered with us. We will ensure to address our team accordingly in order to improve our services and offerings in the future. We hope that you give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Jennifer at the salon reception was very gracious and made my experience better than I expected. Arlene, my hair stylist did an excellent job and was also very pleasant to be around. Lauren, the massage therapist, also did a great job and was also very pleasant. Overall a great experience.

1  Thank Smoothiesgalore

Thank you for the great review! We are so pleased to hear about your experience at Lapis Spa & Salon. We will ensure to share your feedback with our team and recognize Jennifer, Arlene, and Lauren for a job well done. Come back and visit sometime soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

I stayed there in March and accidently left my brand new ipod in the room. I called about an hour after checking out. A report was taken several phone calls made back and forth I was told they would investigate. After a week I never heard and decided to write a formal letter again I played phone tag with the manager who then just never returned my calls. i did not think a hotel of this caliber would steal their guests items from the rooms. I am very disappointed that no attempt was made to compensate me for my stolen item.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jessica C

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I would like to apologize for the loss of your I-Pod. Our team works diligently to ensure our guest and their belongings are safe here at Fontainebleau. We hope that you give us another try to change your perception around.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

The Fountainebleau turns business into pleasure!!!!! Although this was a business trip, it felt as though I was on a vacation. Magnificent hotel, wonderful restaurants, fabulous amenities, gorgeous grounds, and a competent, attentive staff. A truly wonderful experience...............I will be back!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jlashop

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are delighted you enjoyed yourself and took the time to share your experience. I will ensure to share your review with my team and continue improving our services and offerings in the future. Come back and visit sometime soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

First time in Miami , won't be my last.... absolutely a fantastic time, from the cab ride to the Fontainebleau to the cleaning staff on our floor....to the Front Desk Staff , especially Collin Black who took the time with us and made our stay a memorable one,,, you are Aces !! This hotel is so Alive, always something to do.. NEYO was there performed outdoors , sounded great!!!! Beach , Sun and Fun... thanks to all ...we will be back !! from Jackie Georgia Chris and Louie

Room Tip: best rooms are in the Sorrento ocean view or front , Great Junior suites
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

I am excited to learn that your first Miami experience was with us! Our goal is to create unforgettable memories for our guests, and we are delighted to learn that our staff, specifically Colin Black, accomplished this for you. We look forward to welcoming you back for some more fun in the sun!

Reviewed 9 June 2012

The hotel was really clean and nice. Everything was in a perfect order. The staff at the spa were very friendly and helpful. Veronica helped us get into our lockers and made sure we made it to our appointments on time and assisted us with dinner reservations. I am definetely coming back.

• Stayed: June 2012
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed Lapis Spa and that Veronica went above and beyond to ensure you had an excellent experience. We will ensure she gets recognized for a job well done. We look forward to your next visit!