Due to BA cancelling our flight home to London we ended up at the Fontainebleau Hotel when BA coached us there from the airport at 2.00 in the morning.
First impressions at that time were that we'd arrived at a huge nightclub by mistake but luckily I knew enough about the hotel already not to be surpirsed by this.
The hotel had 5 or 6 staff manning the check-in desk which I thought was good for that time of night - not sure if it's always this way or if it was because they knew we were coming. They checked us in smoothly enough but failed to give us any other details like what would be happening the next day.
The room we were allocated was a large one in the Sorrento tower, maybe a junior suite. It had a balcony with sea view, large bed, bathroom with separate shower & tub with jacuzzi bubbles. There wasn't actually a kettle but a coffee maker which took ages to boil the water - I only wanted a cup of tea!
So far so good, we were happy with the room. And as we were only staying there accidentally that wasn't too bad at all.
We were told we had to check out at 11am despite our flight not departing til after 9pm that night. I guess this is between the hotel and the airline so shouldn't reflect too much on the hotel.
Unfortunately no-one had any good information about what we should do next - reception checking us out had no idea. So we just checked out the hotel which is huge - you feel as if you're aboard a humungous cruise liner. Out by the pool there is non-stop dance music pumping at a high volume. I would hate to have a room overlooking the main pool. There are plenty of loungers and towels though not all are free. Some of the cabanas have TVs etc in them but they look a little worse for wear.
Well then it started to rain heavily so we moved indoors to have a look round. There are several restaurants all pretty expensive and a few bars likewise. We didn't check out the spa facilities. There is free wi-fi while you're staying at the hotel but this was patchy and seemed to disappear after we'd checked out although we were still in the main hotel bar.
Which is where we stayed until finally we heard on the grapevine that BA had arranged some coaches back to the airport.
Overall I was glad to see this hotel for myself, I'd heard a lot about it and my preconceptions were largely confirmed. It's big, brassy and bling.Ideal if you're in a group like a stag or bachelor party - not so great I'd say if you're looking for a quieter experience!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A spectacular blend of Golden Era glamour and modern luxury, Fontainebleau today reinvents the original vision of legendary architect Morris Lapidus – a stage where everyone plays their unique part. At Fontainebleau, striking design, contemporary art, music, fashion and technology merge into a vibrant new kind of guest experience. We invite you to enter a world where you are free to play, shop, dine, spa, meet or simply relax – however you define your perfect day. Express yourself in an environment that surrounds you with every kind of pleasure and invites every sort of adventure. Following a $1 billion renovation, the 22-acre oceanfront hotel features signature restaurants by award-winning chefs; two chic nightlife venues; a two-story, 40,000-square-foot spa, expansive poolscape, a pristine Atlantic Ocean beach and state-of-the-art conference and event facilities. A landmark since its debut in 1954, Fontainebleau has been restored and transformed by a team of renowned architects and designers to create the most dynamic destination resort on the eastern seaboard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Fontainebleau Miami Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fontainebleau Miami Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- Fontainebleau Hotel Miami Beach
- Fontainebleau Resort Miami Beach
- Fontainebleau Miami Beach Florida