“Accidental Tourist”

Fontainebleau Miami Beach
Ranked #45 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Due to BA cancelling our flight home to London we ended up at the Fontainebleau Hotel when BA coached us there from the airport at 2.00 in the morning.

First impressions at that time were that we'd arrived at a huge nightclub by mistake but luckily I knew enough about the hotel already not to be surpirsed by this.

The hotel had 5 or 6 staff manning the check-in desk which I thought was good for that time of night - not sure if it's always this way or if it was because they knew we were coming. They checked us in smoothly enough but failed to give us any other details like what would be happening the next day.

The room we were allocated was a large one in the Sorrento tower, maybe a junior suite. It had a balcony with sea view, large bed, bathroom with separate shower & tub with jacuzzi bubbles. There wasn't actually a kettle but a coffee maker which took ages to boil the water - I only wanted a cup of tea!

So far so good, we were happy with the room. And as we were only staying there accidentally that wasn't too bad at all.

We were told we had to check out at 11am despite our flight not departing til after 9pm that night. I guess this is between the hotel and the airline so shouldn't reflect too much on the hotel.

Unfortunately no-one had any good information about what we should do next - reception checking us out had no idea. So we just checked out the hotel which is huge - you feel as if you're aboard a humungous cruise liner. Out by the pool there is non-stop dance music pumping at a high volume. I would hate to have a room overlooking the main pool. There are plenty of loungers and towels though not all are free. Some of the cabanas have TVs etc in them but they look a little worse for wear.

Well then it started to rain heavily so we moved indoors to have a look round. There are several restaurants all pretty expensive and a few bars likewise. We didn't check out the spa facilities. There is free wi-fi while you're staying at the hotel but this was patchy and seemed to disappear after we'd checked out although we were still in the main hotel bar.

Which is where we stayed until finally we heard on the grapevine that BA had arranged some coaches back to the airport.

Overall I was glad to see this hotel for myself, I'd heard a lot about it and my preconceptions were largely confirmed. It's big, brassy and bling.Ideal if you're in a group like a stag or bachelor party - not so great I'd say if you're looking for a quieter experience!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am happy to hear you had a smooth check in and enjoyed your guest room. We hope to see you again!

There are newer reviews for Fontainebleau Miami Beach

Reviewed 20 November 2013

The Hotel itself is breathtaking upon walking in.The service is unremarkable from the point upon arrival to the point of checkout! At the pool side, Jefferson whom I give the highest recommendation to was very tentative and helpful not only to all the hotel stayers but also to his fellow staff. He is an excellent staff member and a great assist to the Fountainebleau. I wouldn't want to stay at any other hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking a moment to review Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am happy to hear your expectations were exceeded. Jefferson will certainly be recognized for his amazing service. We remain at your service and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Have been here a couple of times and both were awesome! The staff is so friendly and accomodating! I brought a bachelorette party to the pool area, where we got a cabana and had an amazing day! Would definitely recommend staying here :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for being a loyal guest of Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am happy to hear your bachelorette party was awesome. We remain at your service and welcome you back.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I recently went to the pool at FontaineBleu with a group of girlfriends for a bachelorette party. I was greeted by the smiling and stunning Janet, one of the pool managers. She was beyond helpful and so kind. She made our trip incredible. Despite the rain and new pool rules, Janet and Cesar were gracious and so accommodating to make sure my best friend had a memorable bachelorette party. And it was. I highly recommend a visit to Fontainebleau. They will take very good care of you and make sure you are having a good time! I can't thank them enough!!!

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am so happy to hear that your friends bachelorette celebration was a success. Janet and Cesar will certainly be recognized for their amazing service. We appreciate your recommendations and look forward to having you back.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

For me has been an excellent experience, the attention and dedication of all the staff especially LA COTE has been incredible!!!
The rooms always been really clean and the view is beautifull
I want to go!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
FBHotelManager, Manager at Fontainebleau Miami Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thank you for taking a moment to review Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am delighted to hear that our team members exceeded your expectations. We welcome you back for another amazing experience.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We booked a room at the Fontainbleau through VRBO and got a room rate that was a great deal by a condo owner. The condo portion of the hotel is a different part than the hotel, but all amenities are shared and it felt more private and less of a conventional hotel. Our room was great with 2 queen beds, looking over the pool. A small coffee pot, fridge and basic serving items such as wine glasses, plates, forks, etc, coffee cups, made it very convenient to stockup on some basics such as yogurt, crackers cheese and wine. So while getting ready for the night we enjoyed a budget-friendly happy hour. This is critical since when you hit South Beach restaurants and bars, the prices make your eyes pop out of your head. When we went to the pool, and the beach, the service was FANTASTIC! Everyone took care of your needs, from beach chairs, to drinks to towels. I went to Cancun a month later to a high-end resort and Fontainebleau's service was far superior. We stopped into Scarpetto for drinks and appetizers. The burrata appetizer made me try to re-capture this lightening in a bottle at every restaurant for the next month where burrata was on the menu, but it was not to be. The Scarpetto version is still the standard. Also of note is the work out room. This was no ordinary gym. It looks out over the ocean and has all of the most current machines, is large, spacious and actually makes you enjoy your work out. Overall, the place was practically perfect, which is quite a feat given how massive the facility is. The only negative is that Fontainebleau is a bit far from South Beach. It is a serious walk of 30 minutes. During the day when the walk is to burn off all of the calories from the night before, its a great along the path by the ocean, but when going out to dinner in your heels, you must cab it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your guest room, our gym and Scarpetta. We appreciate your kind words and can not wait to serve you again.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I accompanied my husband here while he attended a conference. We booked a one bedroom, two bathroom suite in the Tresor tower well in advance. Front desk gave us a suite on the eighth floor. As soon as we came through the door I noticed the breakfast bar was really low off the ground. I thought that was odd. When I looked in the bathroom first thing I saw was a big wad of hair and dust! Ugh! Once you see something like that you start looking around and this room wasn't the cleanest room I'd stayed in. Housekeeping dropped the ball in this room. There wasn't a second bathroom, as described. I went to hang up my clothes and I noticed the closet rods were hung low to the floor and then I realized this was a handicap room. Neither my husband or I are handicapped so that seemed strange. This room had a really poor view and was right above a pool. It had no privacy whatsoever. At that point I decided to make a request for a different room. Front desk asked us to come back down. We were then given the same room!! Immediately we pointed that out, and finally they moved us to the sixteenth floor. This suite was vastly better including that fact that it had the second bathroom as described. The suites are nicely decorated and quite comfortable. The towels and linens are high quality. These suites have a full kitchen including dishes, pots, pans, silverware and a washer/dryer. They only provide dishwasher detergent and a roll of paper towel for kitchen supplies, which is inadequate. There is no where on the property to buy anything for your kitchen. The closest grocery store is about three miles away, which is inconvenient. Room service is very good. Gotham steak house was pretty good, although our $50 steak for two was tough. There are several other restaurants on the property that feature different cuisines. This is a massive 1500 room resort with several pools. If you like that sort of thing, then you will like this. I found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. We would return.

Room Tip: Request a high room. The view will be better.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review Fontainebleau Miami Beach. I am happy to hear our team members made your stay more enjoyable. We apologize for the guest room mix up and hope to see you soon!