“Not the best - overrated”

The Raleigh Miami Beach
Ranked #36 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Not the best - overrated”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

While aware that the buildings in MB must be preserved the interior can be altered. The elevators and rooms are super dark. Very ominous feel. Felt like a motel and definitely not worth $200plus/night. The fine print on my voucher said $35 for parking and I was still charged $39 although I made them aware at check in. Something about the customers is not always right that rubs me the wrong way. Miami Beach is starting to feel less like a vacation spot & more like they're trying to suck every $ out at every turn. Do not see myself staying here again. I enjoyed the National and Royal Palm best.

• Stayed June 2013
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are disheartened to hear that you did not enjoy your stay here at the Raleigh. We have noted your many concerns regarding the halls and elevators, as we are an Art Deco building there are many areas of the hotel that we respectfully preserve as a part of Miami Beach history. In regards to the discrepancy with valet, we sincerely apologize that this was not taken care of and can certainly assure you that our guests satisfaction is our number one priority and strive daily to make our guests feel welcomed and at home. I would love to speak with you regarding your stay, please feel free to contact me directly.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We booked this trip through expedia, (thankfully).
When we arrived at the hotel and gave them the booking reference they referred to us by name and then claimed they didn't have the booking. Well how did you know our Name?
The lady at the desk said they hadn't received the booking but could put us up at a sister hotel somewhere else and would we like a drink at the bar while we waited for confirmation.

It soon became clear they had taken the booking but bumped us in favour of guests offering full price. There was a polo event on and no doubt they needed the rooms. Thankfully a call to Expedia magically made a room appear.

You pretty much have to fight the porter for your bags, he's holding on to them and your not getting past him without yet another tip. It's pretty much the game here in town, everything has 18% gratuity on top of it.

What did we get for our money?
A really dated room, tiny bathroom, hallways that actually have external guttering trying to cover pipes, and total confusion about charges for everything, including the fact they charged us the price of the stay on the credit card given for 'incedentals', even though it had already been paid via expedia.
Two Cocktails at the bar = $43. but on the bright side they're never the same twice :)

True, the hotel has a nice pool which is why it's pretty much all you see in the promotions, but then all the hotels on the strip do.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback on your stay here with us at Raleigh. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced throughout your stay, it certainly is our goal and daily focus to provide the utmost positive experience for our guests. I would love to speak with you in further detail regarding your stay. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you.

Buenos Aires
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Spent an amazing week at The Raleigh Hotel in Miami . Booked 5 rooms for a full week . The pool is fantastic , service is fantastic , front desk super helpful , valet parking boys impeccable , the car was brought almost immediately always . Thanks to The Raleigh Team !
The Hotel is elegant and relaxed , jazz was mostly played in the pool area, people quiet relaxing each to their own ...
Rooms with City View were more than ok , a good size .
Rooms with Partial Ocean View which were more expensive were a dissapointment . Size was considerably smaller , the Tv used part of the opening space to enter the tiny bathroom , that had no bathtub by the way .... And the partial ocean view was a joke ... You had to stand next to the window and look to the side to be able to see it ... View was not nice , much better in the city view rooms ... Guess next time I will book all city view ... maybe we were not lucky with the partial ocean view rooms , We were assigned and there are much better , or maybe they were all the same , don't know ...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Thank you so much for your review, We are elated that you and your party enjoyed your stay here with us at the Raleigh. We are glad that you were able to experience all that is the Raleigh Hotel from our world reknowned pool to the Restaurant Michael Schwartz which is newly opened at the property! We have noted that you enjoyed the Oasis that is what the Raleigh has been known for as we focus to maintain its charm and class. We have also noted your disappointment in the view of the rooms in which you were booked and reccomend trying our Ocean View rooms on your next stay. When you are ready please contact me directly to book and I will be sure to take care of you! We look forward to seeing you soon!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I was surprised to read some of the other Trip Advisor comments about poor service. I only found the exact opposite experience.

We stayed at the Raleigh for a night to celebrate my wife's birthday. It was one of the best hotel experiences we have had in a long time.

We were greeted by the head of customer service, Tiffany Morris. She was friendly, polite, and listened as we told her about the terrible previous hotel experience we had at another Miami beach hotel. She was fantastic!

After we shared with Tiffany that it was my wife's big birthday, she not only gave us a great room but had room service deliver a happy birthday cake to our room as a surprise.

Every person we spoke with there was great and helpful, from the hostess that gave us a to go box for food we had gotten in another restaurant, to the hotel staff that opened every door for us while smiling and telling us to have a good day. Even the intercom person who buzzed us back in from the beach told us welcome back.

I would definitely recommend the Raleigh to anyone who wants a nice boutique hotel in south beach. The rooms are hip, they have great bathroom amenities, the pool is superb, and the location two blocks from Lincoln road can't be beat for restaurants and shops.

The only downsides to the hotel were the course sheets, the typical Miami hotel experience of hearing what's going on in the hallway, and the absolutely strange location of the toilet in the bathroom where your leg is right up against the wall and the door. The service, the location, the coolness of the hotel more than made up for these few deficiencies.

I'd have to say that was probably one of the best hotel experiences we've had and we've been all over the world.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Thank you for your review! We are so excited to hear that you had a great stay here with us. We are also happy that your wife was able to enjoy her special day as deserved! We are very proud of our home and want to ensure that every guest experiences are memorable. We have noted the not so pleasurable experiences while here and will certainly look into the sheets. It is humbling to hear despite these small deficiencies we were able to provide an experience fro you. We hope that you will visit with us again soon, please feel free to contact me directly when you are ready to book we would love to have you!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I recently booked a trip to South Beach and after reviewing several hotels online chose the Raleigh Hotel. I was looking for a relaxing vacation and had heard alot about their signature pool. Their claim on the website is " historically iconic, yet tastefully modernized". Unfortunately, upon arrival I discovered the term "modernized" was being used VERY loosely. Although the lobby appeared to have a few updated furnishings .. it was dark and dreary. The signature pool - upon closer inspection is actually in desparate need of updating, as are all the lounge chairs. We literally passed by 6 broken chairs and once settled, before we discovered one that works. I am a lover of all things vintage - however I am always amazed how the term is used to glamorize something that is old and worn out. This interpretation of all things vintage did not stop with the lounge chairs, upon getting to my room I discovered the bed, mattress and boxspring were also vintage. It was something akin to the bunk bed I slept in at camp as a child. Vintage didnt stop there either, it carried forward to the door lock which never worked (even hotel manager struggled getting door open), the sliding door to the balcony, the badly stained wallpaper, the airconditioning ... Please note my room was on the PENTHOUSE floor - which opened to a faded couch that was covered in stains. Again this must be the definition of vintage. Needless to say I had not booked a "basic room" and was extremely disappointed and looking for alternatives. I happened to learn that the hotel was purchased by the sbe chain which had a sister hotel 4 doors away. I inquired if I could be moved to the sister property and willing to pay any price differential, but was denied by all levels of management. What was even more insulting is that they informed me that they would be willing to book a new reservation at the sister hotel and quoted me a price HIGHER than what I could get myself over the web. So essentially I would need to forfeit the money I already paid for the room since it was prepaid and double pay their franchise for a replacement room. Apparently the new owner is attempting to lure business to the hotel by this "claim" of modernization, but it doesnt exist past the lobby and restaurant. This is a hotel that does not understand the meaning of client satisfaction. Ultimately I cut my vacation short and returned home, would rather forfeit the money than doublepay for a hotel stay. Needless to say ... The Raleigh will not be a hotel that I plan to return to anytime soon.

Room Tip: I dont believe their is a good room in the house.
4 Thank mdgrace
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
mdgrace,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay here at the Raleigh. We sincerely apologize we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit with us. We strive to have all of our guests leave our property with a positive and memorable experience and are disappointed we failed to make this happen during your recent visit with us. Since we have joined SBE we have made several property updates throughout the hotel and have many more In store in the coming months. We have addressed the bedding issues noted in your room as well the pool lounge chairs and were sorry to learn your vacation was cut short. We would love the opportunity to have you experience our property again the next time you are in town in order to provide you with the true Raleigh experience. Please feel free to contact me directly if you change your mind and we hope to welcome you back!

Denville, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 June 2013

The staff at the front desk were extraordinarily friendly. They remembered what rooms we were in when we walked up to the desk to get our room keys...yes they have real keys here! Cool Linoleum floors with no rugs turned out to be great in this hot climate. Comfortable bed and ample size room with wonderful view from balcony. Very nice visit.

• Stayed May 2013
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
DonnaRosey,

Thank you so much for your review! We are so excited that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We are always proud when guests are able to recognize the charm of what is the Raleigh Hotel. The comfort and experiences of our guests are our primary focus as we welcome you into our home. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon! Please feel free to contact me directly when you are ready to book!

UK
Reviewed 29 May 2013

A wonderful hotel with great staff in an excellent location but tarnished by the shameful introduction of a so called compulsory "resort fee". This is not included in their published room rates nor does it appear as an extra on prepaid booking vouchers but it is added to your bill as an "extra". Today it is $20 per night but who knows what it will be tomorrow - $100 or $500 maybe? On arrival you are told it is for use of wifi and sun loungers but the website makes it clear that wifi is complementary and the use of sun loungers is apparently not optional. Why would a great hotel treat their customers in such a shameful way. If the room rate is $210 plus a compulsory charge of $20 levied by the hotel to boost its profits, publish a room rate of $230! Customers are much more likely to return, as I have done for many years, if you treat them honestly

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank badgirlwanted
badgirlwanted,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you were not informed at the time of the booking reagrding the resort fee. This fee is to provide all of the amenities that encompass being an oceanfront property and will be sure to make the necessary corrections noted in your authentic review. We certainly aim to please each and every guest and aim to provide only memorable experiences. We would love to keep you as a loyal guest at our property and would like to see you return. Should you be ready to do so, please feel free to contact me directly to book.