“A True Gem”

Ranked #30 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York, New York, United States
“A True Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Spent hours researching the right place for me and my girlfriend to stay, and we both were beyond satisfied with our experience at the Raleigh. Stayed 3 nights at the Raleigh the 2nd weekend of June with my girlfriend - FANTASTIC hotel. Pictures do not do this place justice.

Service - We were greeted with smiles from the front desk to the pool bar. Pleasantly surprised by a bottle of wine when we checked into our room. Check-in and check-out was seamless. No issues, no hassles :)

Food & Drinks - I am a foodie, so this is probably what I was MOST excited about. I've tried Michael's in midtown on a previous trip and the cusine/style is exactly what I like. During our stay, we had lunch, dinner, bar bites, and a dozen or so cocktails, all tasty and memorable. Drinks i'd recommend the Steel Cup and Victoria. Too much good options on the food menu, but here's some favorites in no particular order: pork sliders (bar menu only), shrimp toast, lobster roll, burger, niscoise salad, tempura okra & peppers, and whole chicken (dinner menu).

The Pool & beach - Spent anywhere from 3~5 hours a day at the pool, and we'd do it again. It's beautiful. I'd recommend starting the day at the beach, enjoy a cocktail or two, get some sand and salt on your skin, have lunch at michaels, then cool down at the pool and cabanas until dinner time.

Thanks for a great vacay Raleigh. We'll be back!

Tips:
- Raleigh has their own bikes to rent ($10 for 8 hours) which is a better deal (and more comfortable) than the city/public bikes. I'd recommend taking advantage of this and going for a nice ride along the beach to start the day.
- Use the beach/pool bag they have in the room.
- Make sure you eat at least one meal at Michaels!!!

Room Tip: I paid a premium for an Ocean View room, and to be honest, I was a little dissappointed. I was expec...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Charles C,

Thank you so much for your review! What a vivid description of your stay here with us at Raleigh. Providing memorable experiences is our driving force amongst our team in ensuring that your stay is flawless and memorable!

Thank you so much for visiting our newest addition to our property Restaurant Michael Schwartz, we are elated that you enjoyed the meals and service provided. We must admit that the Shrimp Toast is one of our favorites as well.

Our world renowned pool is has certainly been a factor in creating memorable experiences and are proud that you have also shared in this as well.

We certainly would love to have you back in our home away from home. When you are ready to book, please feel free to contact me directly! We look forward to seeing you soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

We stayed at the Raleigh at the end of May, 2013. We were drawn to this hotel by the reviews that we read on Tripadvisor and the pictures of the pool. We wanted to experience the art deco past of Miami. We were certainly not disappointed in the pool -- it is one of the most unique pool areas that we have seen in America. Yes, other hotels on that strip have interesting pools, but this one had the most character and ambiance. The food in the Restaurant Michael Schwartz was top notch. A definite benefit to staying in the hotel to have such a fine dining experience. Having breakfast and dinner outside was really amazing. The service was really first rate everywhere on the property. Especially in the restaurant: the servers were constantly anticipating our needs and went way out of their way to be personable and friendly. The bar is one of the most unique places I have ever seen. It definitely takes you back in time to a bygone era! The bartender there is a true mixologist and was making creations that were incredibly unique. I told him a few of the incredients that I liked and he mixed up a concoction that I will never forget or replicate. Now for the critique: I had to take one star off however, for the prices. It was not merely the cost of the room but the costs of the add ons as well. I understand that in South Beach you can't get a drink for less than $14, but do you really have to pay $25 just for them to set up an umbrella for you at the beach? That is a ripoff and the management should rethink their policy on this as it detracts from the experience a hotel guest has at the beach.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are worth it!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for review, We are elated that you enjoyed your stay here with us! We are very proud of our world renowned pool area and always excited when our guests have a memorable experience there as well. Restaurant Michael Schwartz is our latest addition to the property and certainly one that has made a name for it self, we think the food is amazing as well! Martini Bar has certainly made a name for itself over the years, we are excited that you enjoyed your cocktails and certainly should come back for another! We have noted your concern regarding the pricing of the umbrellas and will handle accordingly. We would love to have you back with us, should you desire to do so, please feel free to contact me directly to book your next stay.

Fort Worth, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

After having an unparalleled birthday yesterday at the Raleigh I thought it would only be fair to show my thanks. About 10 of my closets friend and I dined at the Restaurant Michael Schwartz for lunch, then relaxed in a cabana by the pool all day. Lunch was simply delectable and very moderately priced for South Beach. Everyone raved about how great their food was. After lunch, we headed over to our cabana to later find out that along with the purchase of lunch and the cabana we also get a magnum bottle of Rosé wine for us to enjoy free of charge. We relaxed at the amazing pool all day and sipped on refreshing cocktails. My only critique was that they kind of had "elevator music" playing through the speakers in the cabana but was a very minor flaw. Additionally, the service at the Pool Bar, the restaurant, and from the event coordinator were top notch and I even received a shot on the house because it was my birthday! Overall it was a very pleasant experience that I would highly recommend to anyone inquiring.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
ChrisM,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so excited that you enjoyed your special day here with us! We are honored that you selected us to spend the day at our newest addition is the Restaurant Michael Schwartz, we enjoy the food as well! We have noted your suggestion on the music and will be sure to handle accordingly! We would love to have you back relaxing with us at our “Oasis” and even stay the night! Should this be of any interest, please feel to contact me directly to book! We look forward to seeing you again!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

While aware that the buildings in MB must be preserved the interior can be altered. The elevators and rooms are super dark. Very ominous feel. Felt like a motel and definitely not worth $200plus/night. The fine print on my voucher said $35 for parking and I was still charged $39 although I made them aware at check in. Something about the customers is not always right that rubs me the wrong way. Miami Beach is starting to feel less like a vacation spot & more like they're trying to suck every $ out at every turn. Do not see myself staying here again. I enjoyed the National and Royal Palm best.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are disheartened to hear that you did not enjoy your stay here at the Raleigh. We have noted your many concerns regarding the halls and elevators, as we are an Art Deco building there are many areas of the hotel that we respectfully preserve as a part of Miami Beach history. In regards to the discrepancy with valet, we sincerely apologize that this was not taken care of and can certainly assure you that our guests satisfaction is our number one priority and strive daily to make our guests feel welcomed and at home. I would love to speak with you regarding your stay, please feel free to contact me directly.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

We booked this trip through expedia, (thankfully).
When we arrived at the hotel and gave them the booking reference they referred to us by name and then claimed they didn't have the booking. Well how did you know our Name?
The lady at the desk said they hadn't received the booking but could put us up at a sister hotel somewhere else and would we like a drink at the bar while we waited for confirmation.

It soon became clear they had taken the booking but bumped us in favour of guests offering full price. There was a polo event on and no doubt they needed the rooms. Thankfully a call to Expedia magically made a room appear.

You pretty much have to fight the porter for your bags, he's holding on to them and your not getting past him without yet another tip. It's pretty much the game here in town, everything has 18% gratuity on top of it.

What did we get for our money?
A really dated room, tiny bathroom, hallways that actually have external guttering trying to cover pipes, and total confusion about charges for everything, including the fact they charged us the price of the stay on the credit card given for 'incedentals', even though it had already been paid via expedia.
Two Cocktails at the bar = $43. but on the bright side they're never the same twice :)

True, the hotel has a nice pool which is why it's pretty much all you see in the promotions, but then all the hotels on the strip do.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback on your stay here with us at Raleigh. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced throughout your stay, it certainly is our goal and daily focus to provide the utmost positive experience for our guests. I would love to speak with you in further detail regarding your stay. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you.

Buenos Aires
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

Spent an amazing week at The Raleigh Hotel in Miami . Booked 5 rooms for a full week . The pool is fantastic , service is fantastic , front desk super helpful , valet parking boys impeccable , the car was brought almost immediately always . Thanks to The Raleigh Team !
The Hotel is elegant and relaxed , jazz was mostly played in the pool area, people quiet relaxing each to their own ...
Rooms with City View were more than ok , a good size .
Rooms with Partial Ocean View which were more expensive were a dissapointment . Size was considerably smaller , the Tv used part of the opening space to enter the tiny bathroom , that had no bathtub by the way .... And the partial ocean view was a joke ... You had to stand next to the window and look to the side to be able to see it ... View was not nice , much better in the city view rooms ... Guess next time I will book all city view ... maybe we were not lucky with the partial ocean view rooms , We were assigned and there are much better , or maybe they were all the same , don't know ...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Thank you so much for your review, We are elated that you and your party enjoyed your stay here with us at the Raleigh. We are glad that you were able to experience all that is the Raleigh Hotel from our world reknowned pool to the Restaurant Michael Schwartz which is newly opened at the property! We have noted that you enjoyed the Oasis that is what the Raleigh has been known for as we focus to maintain its charm and class. We have also noted your disappointment in the view of the rooms in which you were booked and reccomend trying our Ocean View rooms on your next stay. When you are ready please contact me directly to book and I will be sure to take care of you! We look forward to seeing you soon!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

I was surprised to read some of the other Trip Advisor comments about poor service. I only found the exact opposite experience.

We stayed at the Raleigh for a night to celebrate my wife's birthday. It was one of the best hotel experiences we have had in a long time.

We were greeted by the head of customer service, Tiffany Morris. She was friendly, polite, and listened as we told her about the terrible previous hotel experience we had at another Miami beach hotel. She was fantastic!

After we shared with Tiffany that it was my wife's big birthday, she not only gave us a great room but had room service deliver a happy birthday cake to our room as a surprise.

Every person we spoke with there was great and helpful, from the hostess that gave us a to go box for food we had gotten in another restaurant, to the hotel staff that opened every door for us while smiling and telling us to have a good day. Even the intercom person who buzzed us back in from the beach told us welcome back.

I would definitely recommend the Raleigh to anyone who wants a nice boutique hotel in south beach. The rooms are hip, they have great bathroom amenities, the pool is superb, and the location two blocks from Lincoln road can't be beat for restaurants and shops.

The only downsides to the hotel were the course sheets, the typical Miami hotel experience of hearing what's going on in the hallway, and the absolutely strange location of the toilet in the bathroom where your leg is right up against the wall and the door. The service, the location, the coolness of the hotel more than made up for these few deficiencies.

I'd have to say that was probably one of the best hotel experiences we've had and we've been all over the world.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Thank you for your review! We are so excited to hear that you had a great stay here with us. We are also happy that your wife was able to enjoy her special day as deserved! We are very proud of our home and want to ensure that every guest experiences are memorable. We have noted the not so pleasurable experiences while here and will certainly look into the sheets. It is humbling to hear despite these small deficiencies we were able to provide an experience fro you. We hope that you will visit with us again soon, please feel free to contact me directly when you are ready to book we would love to have you!