“Terrible experience, ruined my stay in Miami”

The Raleigh Miami Beach
Ranked #36 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Terrible experience, ruined my stay in Miami”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Half of family stayed here for 5 nights, and the other half in another hotel. I had a lost baggage that was delivered to this hotel. The hotel staff didn't notify until 3 days later I approached them after finding out from the airline delivery company that my baggage had been found and delivered to the hotel. The hotel staffs tried to blame it on me requesting why I didn't approach them before. When I requested written confirmation that they had held onto my baggage without notifying me for 3days, I had to spend literally the whole day arguing with 2 managers to get it (they were worried about legal issues) eventually getting the letter from them at midnight!

Other than this very awful experience, the hotel stay was disappointing but ok. Rooms were big and clean which was positive. Location is good. It was very disappointing that the hotel doesn't offer free shuttle bus to and from airport (which other hotels did, even the 3*hotels). Also no concierge service available (bizarre!) so you have to ask the front desk staff but most of them (except the main managers) didn't know enough to be able to help. We also weren't told that we had free access to fitness facilities in the nearby sister hotel (I overheard the front desk telling someone else the day we were checking out and I was very annoyed!)

The restaurant food was nice with a great atmosphere (especially the tables near the pool at night time), but very expensive. I would not stay in this hotel again, there are much better hotels nearby with better services to offer (some nearby hotels even have free cocktail hour!).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Thusha4
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It has been brought to our attention regarding this matter. It is certainly a hotel standard and common practice to provide excellent service to each and every one of our guest and unfortunate that you were unable to experience this during your last stay. We were advised that the items were at the hotel and claimed on August 1s t , 2013 and sincerely apologize for the lack of communication regarding the storage of the bags. We understand the stress this may have caused and would greatly welcome the opportunity to welcome you back in order to provide you the experience you certainly deserve back . It will be my pleasure to personally handle your reservation and will ensure that your stay is to your expectations from start to finish. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
miami
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We have not stayed on Miami Beach in at least 5 years. Last time it was at the Lowes. So I guess I am out of touch of reality and how much a decent hotel costs in the area if you want beach access. We just got back from London, Berlin, and Vienna. We have been to at least two dozen hotels in Europe and none, I mean none were as small as this room, 607. Everything was extremely cramped, and the bathroom tiny. Extremelly disappointed that I choose this hotel for my 2 night get away. The pool area is a bit run down and definately needs some elbow grease.
But it is very peaceful and relaxing.
At every single hotel we have asked to stay an extra hour after check out we have always been alliowed. Not with this hotel. In fact 30 minutes before check out they were calling to telll us we had to get out. Then when we left our room and went to the lobby to wait for our car, It took about 30 minutes for them to get our car and we were the only ones waiting for our car.
The location is the most positive aspect, just 2 blocks from lincoln road mall.
Oh another super positive is that we were able to rent their bikes. Either $10 for one or both bikes for the day. This was absolutely the best idea we had and had we not seen the bikes we would never had thought of it. We spent about 3-4 hours all around the south beach area with the bikes and I was in heaven. Both excercise and touring the area. The bikes came with locks and it was so much fun.

Room Tip: Do not allow room 607, but then again i did not see the other rooms. And of course maybe price has s...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with you. We are sorry that the room accommodations did not fit your need and certainly understand that the charm of the historic Raleigh may not be fitting for all travelers. We certainly suggest trying out one of our suites on your next visit as these rooms may be more spacious for you. Our Pool Area is world renowned and happy that you were able to find some peace and relaxation there during your stay., We sincerely apologize that you were unable to receive a later departure as we would have loved to offer but must consider the experience of the incoming guests as well. The Raleigh bikes are a great bonus for any vacation and again pleased that they were a positive experience while here. We certainly would love to have you back here with us. Please contact me directly when you are ready to book your return visit to South Beach.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

My family and I booked a 5 day/4 night stay at the Raleigh Hotel. Although I've visited miami on many occasions and have stayed at a number of properties on the beach, this was our first time at this iconic Miami location, and it was the perfect choice. The hotel is spotless, it's staff courteous & welcoming, the location perfect and amenities are top notch. It exudes a sophisticated and unpretentious style that is simply lacking in most of the newer boutique properties in sobe. The place truly oozes character.

Our stay was made even more enjoyable by the warm and welcoming staff. brian and his team went above and beyond to accomodate several special requests during our stay. We had breakfast and lunch on property most days and the fare was delightful and varied.

A review of the Raleigh, however, would not be complete without mentioning its fabulous pool. It's hands down the best pool venue in miami. There are abundant lounge chairs and large cabanas with beds for relaxing. The hotel's beach area looked nice as well; but we didn't get to check it as the pool was just too inviting :)

The team at the Raleigh delivered and I look forward to staying there again next year.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank JoV81
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are so humbled that you enjoyed your stay here and that you found our property accommodating for you and your family! We pride ourselves on being a charming Oasis of the “new” South Beach in preserving the history and beauty that resides at the Raleigh. We work diligently to make our guest comfortable in our home and hope that we will have made a lasting impression to see you again. A visit to the Raleigh’s pool is most certainly a mark on the list of things to do and are happy that you were able to enjoy it. We look forward to seeing you soon! Please contact me directly when you are ready to book.

Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This art deco hotel is located perfectly on the beach (back gate across the promenade and you're there), with wonderful internal decor, a great restaurant that spills out onto an open air terrace and a super outdoor pool. However, even the best hotels can have problems, and when your room is next door to the loudest rudest guests in the world, then it will challenge even the best staff to rise to the occasion.
We were at the Raleigh for 5 nights - the first two our sleep was destroyed by the guests next door. The duty manager intervened but to little avail. On the third night new guests occupied the room - but these were no better!!!!! Then we met GABY ROJAS - the front office manager - and possibly the best hotel employee in the WORLD - and I do not heap praise lightly. She did everything she could to make our last two nights perfect - we were moved to a suite and she personally oversaw our transfer. The Raleigh will do well to hold onto Gaby, who is a jewel in their crown!
But miraculously this hotel has more - Julietta from Argentina makes the finest cappuccino on the planet - and as someone who lived in Italy for 5 years this is praise indeed. Her little coffee shop near reception is a real treasure - she had a wonderful smile, a warm welcome and is a perfect barista. And it doesn't stop there either - breakfast staff were exceptional, bell boys ever helpful, the beach guys were a great laugh and nothing was too much.
Great staff make a great hotel even when things go wrong (and even if there is building going on next door). This is a real example of a great team delivering an outstanding level of service!
To Gaby, Julietta and all the others that Max and I encountered - thanks for a great time!

Room Tip: Never take 308 (or probably any derivative - 408, 508 etc.). For whatever reason theses rooms suffer...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate your feedback concerning your last stay. There is no doubt that the Raleigh hotel is perfectly located for the ideal vacation on the beach. We are always excited to hear that we were able to make or even turn around a guests stay, making lasting and memorable impressions. Our staff works very hard to provide excellent service to each and every guest. We are especially proud that two of our shining stars were able to make your trip pleasant, I will be sure to advise them of how they impacted your stay! We certainly hope to see you again soon and look forward to creating more special moments! Please do contact me directly when you are ready to book!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed at The Raleigh for a week June 25th-July 2nd with our 16 year old daughter and loved our experience....The hotel, lobby, patio, pool and restaurants were beautiful...clean...The front desk, bar, restaurant, pool, beach, and valet staff incredibly attentive and helpful. Food and drinks were wonderful too...The hotel is in the middle of it all...yet an oasis where you can relax...especially the pool/patio area with its lounge music...The hotel is a walk away from Lincoln Road Mall...on the way of good bus routes...Would love to go back and would try to do without a car next time because parking tends to be expensive in this area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for your review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We are humbled that you found our property beautiful and to your liking. Service is top priority as we love to see our guests return and stay with us again! We certainly want you to visit the Oasis that is the Raleigh again in the near future. Please contact me directly when you are ready to book!

Hallandale Beach, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I have lived in South Florida my whole life and so have gone to South Beach for mini vacations and have stayed at many hotels down in South Beach. Our most recent stay at the Raleigh Hotel in South Beach was AMAZING!! We went for our anniversary weekend and I could not have been happier that we picked The Raleigh. First let me start by saying that we stayed in a suite that had breathtaking views of the the city and the beach. It had a open terrace with lounge chairs that was off our living room and it just made going outside on the balcony even more fun. The room itself was nice, it has the South Beach charm that I love about Miami. We decided to have dinner on premise because how do you not eat at Restaurant Michael Schwartz! I loved getting ready and only having to take the elevator down to get to our dinner table. The food was phenomenal. We ordered many things on the menu to try and loved everything.. The grouper ceviche, home-made potato chips, shrimp toast, mussels, fish dip and lamb shank were delicious! We also had breakfast on premise the next morning and you have to.. have to.. have to.. order the Croque Madame! It is.. no joke.. the best croissant sandwich I have ever had in my life. Enough said. After breakfast we lounged by the pool which is huge and very relaxing. It is very family friendly and you are able to close your eyes and actually enjoy the fresh air and sun. And lastly, what's a trip to South beach without the beach, so we walked out the back door and headed straight to the beach which is right behind the property. I would highly recommend The Raleigh to anyone looking for a relaxing hotel that's close to everything, (it's right between 17th and 18th so close it's walking distance to Lincoln Road and shops!!) has great food on premise, and has super friendly and courteous hotel staff. Best Anniversary ever.

Room Tip: The suite was awesome!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thank you for your review. What an amazing feedback you have shared with us. We are humbled that your stay at Raleigh was amazing, it makes us proud that the beauty and service of the staff left a lasting and memorable impression on you. We are always honored to be selected as hotel of choice for special occasions, we love to celebrate with our guests. Restaurant Michael Schwartz is amazing , and the Croque Madame is delicious! Please be sure to visit with us again soon! Please contact me directly to book.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2013

PROS:

- Front desk was very helpful.
- The aesthetic of the hotel is Art Deco/retro chic, I liked it, and it extended all the way to the rooms to the pool area.
- The room was very nice and clean.
- I loved that they use Molton Brown toiletries.
- The location is great with being right on the beach. The staff on the beach providing chairs and towels were courteous and professional.
- The pool was gorgeous, they had cabanas and couches there too.

(MAJOR) CONS:

-Valet parking was ridiculous but is expected of any Miami Beach hotel.

- BUT WAIT! Everything was perfect up until my Burberry watch went missing when the last place I saw it was on my bedside table. Thought I just misplaced it, didn't turn up the next day and we were about to leave so I asked the front desk to see if just maybe they had it at lost and found. No watch, of course. I should have NOT left it out on the open but still. That was a depressing note on an otherwise great stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tunalala
Thank you for your review. We are happy that you found the charm and beauty of the Raleigh to your liking as well as the service of our staff. Our pool is always a must see and enjoy while on property especially coupled with the beach in our backyard! Unfortunately we do not carry Molton Brown products in our rooms. We apologize for the inconveniences experienced with the valet and want to assure you this is not common as service is something we pride ourselves on. In regards to the missing items, it is common practice for all lost and found items are logged and investigated. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your stay further.