“beautiful pool, old rooms”

The Raleigh Miami Beach
Ranked #34 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Paris
“beautiful pool, old rooms”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

overall it's a nice hotel but too expensive regarding the old rooms. Beautiful poolside and terrace.
Rooms are small and outdated. I got an email beforehand to ask about the purpose of the trip, a wedding anniversary, this was never mentioned afterwards... At check-in they couldn't find the package (Rise and shine) I bought or it's extra's... Paid extra for a terrace, next to the terrace about 30ft away is a huge machine making a terrible noise which makes you hurry inside again.
People are very friendly and the restaurant serves real good food. Ambience is great but was disappointed by the rooms. Small fitness at the SLR.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
brian v, General Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
We truly appreciate you taking a few moments to share your experience at the Raleigh with us. We love that our pool and outside commons were to your liking, and that you felt our staff's overall friendliness and warm demeanor. We're also glad you enjoyed the food at Restaurant Michael Schwartz, we've had some great feedback from guests and patrons, and we're very happy to have them as part of the Raleigh family. Regarding the rooms; we do have standard room sizes for a hotel considered to be a boutique and historic property, also the decor and design follow this streamline esthetic. We do have plans for a standard renovation and updates to our room in the summer of next year, which will definitely enhance the condition without altering the integrity of the design or the look and feel of the Raleigh. We would love for you to stay with us again. Please feel free to contact me directly to assist you with any future reservations

Regards,
Brian Vujnovic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I have continually stayed at the Raleigh after it was renovated. It is the perfect Miami getaway in every aspect whether I stay in the Esther Williams suite or suite 711 the room view and amenities are great. I particularly enjoy the pool its definitely a relaxing easy going experience with quiet background music exceptional food and service. Definitely not jammed with people like other pools on Collins and no kids screaming Marco Polo.The staff service at the front desk, valet, restaurant and bar are welcoming courteous and very helpful although staff changes occur year to year it seems seamless to me. I really enjoy grabbing a bottled coke and brownie in the 24 hr cappuccino bar on my way in,probably run a bigger tab than at the restaurant. I have stayed at the finest hotels around the world and as good as some of are their all like camping out compared to the Raleigh.

Room Tip: Any room with an ocean view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Greetings and thank you for your review. It is your loyalty that makes the Raleigh what it is and it is the reason why we are able to develop such a rich history with so many of our guests. We're glad that you have stayed with us often enough that you have favorites among our rooms, and there is definitely a reason why the Esther Williams Suite is named after one of the major starlets of the Hollywood Golden Age. We do like to think that we are a relaxing oasis amidst the some times non-stop clamor of a vacation destination like South Beach, also, our Coffee Bar, which sounds like a favorite spot of yours, and the Martini Bar are two of those special nooks in our property that we consider to be time capsules,with the style of the "old" but comfort of the "new." We look forward to welcoming you back and helping you create some more timeless memories.

Connecticut
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Directly booked hotel asking TWO representatives recommendation for the best room at Raleigh to celebrate DH 60th birthday 31 days prior. Also confirmed no parties scheduled at Raleigh Sun/Mon/Tues Sept.15-17, 2013 as aware this might sometimes be the case. Representative assured me not much going on for the dates I booked. (That was an understatement- probably didn't see a dozen couples the whole time we were there. But continue reading.) Noted room upgrade offer online, but was told the only way to assure the Sky Loft Suite was to book it without upgrade option and not risk it not being available.

Upon 3pm check-in I was told that a terrace room was booked for me because that was the room they would offer me at the price I received $480/night and I would also have to wait for the room to be cleaned and that was the best they could do. I told them I was very disappointed as I was expecting the Sky Loft, and went to the restaurant to have a bite and try to find my paper print-out of confirmation as my smartphone had already deleted the post 30 day confirmation and guess what... the Raleigh Hotel doesn't have internet access and said there was no way I could check my email for confirmation. At 4pm I went back to the desk and spoke to Jasmel Acosta who was kind enough to find an iPad in-house to borrow where I pulled up my confirmation for the Sky Loft. Then Jasmel told me I could not have the Sky Loft because I had 3 persons in my party - wrong! Then Jasmel proceeded to tell me that I would not want the Sky Loft because there is a very large party from MAXIM MAGAZINE that would be above AND below AND sharing my terrace. He then insisted that I take a different suite in 704 which faced the noisy street and construction with no water view or 711 that was smaller, faced the pool and had noise from the elevator shaft. Took the smaller suite so at least we could see the pool since that's why we came. Note as previously mentioned there are only 4 rooms with small patios that you can see the pool from. The 4 rooms with larger terraces only look at the palm trees. BTW all the outdoor patios are subjected to the noise of air-conditioning units from the building next door which is close enough to throw a stone to. All the other rooms at the Raleigh have no outdoor access.

Assumed we would be given some type of discount from the booked amount since it was not the "best suite in the place". Ha! We were still charged $480/night plus taxes and fees and given a coupon for a "free drink". Oh ya- I also got the anxiety of scoping out for Maxim Magazine models parading through the lobby which NEVER OCCURRED and anger watching the lights remain off in the Sky Loft Suite (and all the upper level suites) which was quite visible from our room.

There obviously was no party going on at the Raleigh. In fact the place had very low census and I can not fathom why the Raleigh would so blatantly lead customers on as otherwise I would have given the facility a lovely review. You may ask why I didn't make a bigger fuss?? Well let's just say this information is between you and I loyal TripAdvisor readers as I certainly was not going to share this with my DH and ruin his birthday surprise - whichever way you might imagine with or without Maxim Magazine.

Room Tip: There are only 4 terrace rooms with garden view and 4 patio rooms with pool view. be careful readin...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PKonVACA
brian v, General Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please know that guest experience and satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and we're truly sorry that you don't feel like you received the service and attention that all our guests deserve. Room categories, such as the Loft, are only guaranteed upon booking that specific room type, although we do note all requests for possible upgrades. I would love to speak to you further regarding your stay and and we would love to have you stay with us again.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2013

As a frequent patron of hotels, I have to say...the staff and service of the Raleigh hotel was second to none...including the various Ritz and W hotels I've been fortunate enough to stay at around the world. Without a doubt I will be staying there again and recommending to friends and business associates alike. Had the pleasure of being introduced to the GM, Brian, who seemed genuinely appreciative of my business as did every employee I came into contact with. These guys deserve my 5 star review!

1 Thank Maxi36
brian v, General Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We are very happy to hear that it was our staff and service in particular that made us stand out among so many other hotels that you have visited. We thrive on making our guests happy and ensuring that they have a wonderful experience. I'm glad to know I demonstrated our staff's sentiment of deep appreciation and gratitude to have you with us. We look forward to welcoming you again; please contact me directly at your convenience in order to assist you with arrangements for your next stay with us.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We chose this hotel for the weekend. The hotel has stunning art deco decor. The pool and outdoor area is amazing. Very relaxing and beautiful. The staff was very helpful and hospitable. Brian the GM was very helpful and nice. The hotel is a great location and within walking distance to shopping and restaurants. The rooms were very nice with a beautiful shower and bathroom. Highly recommend this hotel and thanks to all of the staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review. We love that you enjoyed our pool and oasis, which is definitely the heart of the hotel, and that our amenities, location and staff all contributed to a wonderful experience for you. We would love to have you as our guest and see you again soon. Please contact me directly at your convenience to assist with your next stay with us.

Spicewood, Texas
Reviewed 10 October 2013

First I want to thank the Raleigh for all the hospitality they showed during our visit. Great staff and the bartender at the back pool par was simply outstanding. The hotel is a throw back to the good 'ole days of South Beach whatever those are to you. For the most part the hotel seems to be polished version of the original that was built in the 1940's. Being there is kind of like visiting your really hip grandmother and I like it that way. Miami Beach is well on it's way of losing it's soul to the devil so it's nice that this and some others like it stay the same. The pool also feels like it's the original and although it's definitely time for some tile work the water quality is amazing. They turned the old diving board platform into a water feature......nice touch! So order up a martini, turn on your Dean Martin station on Pandora and enjoy!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Tiffany M, Guest Relations Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for the lovely compliment, we are flattered that you would consider us "kind of the Marilyn Monroe of hotels." We certainly pride ourselves in being the "grand dame" of the strip, with the nostalgic charm of the bygone era of the "Rat Pack" and "Jackie Gleason" circa 1940's-50's. Amidst all the change and modernization it is nice to know that some things remain timeless. We're happy to hear that our pool staff and pool bar bartender provided you with memorable service; that is what we strive for. We would love to have you stay with us again and please feel free to contact me directly to assist you with your next visit.

Tiffany Morris
Guest Relations Manager
Mount Lebanon, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We chose this small, boutique hotel because of its location (on the beach), pool, art deco design, and promo package that allowed us to afford a room with direct ocean view and balcony, plus no daily hotel fee (saved $20/day), a $25 food credit, 20% off season rate, and one room category upgrade. The location turned out to be great, I can't imagine not being on the beach (only the lovely 'boardwalk' was between the hotel and beach). Our hotel also provided beach chair (with cushions) and towel set up. It was very nice too, that we seemed to located in a section of lower rise art deco hotels, set back from the beach. No mega towers or resorts overwhelming us. 'The location also seemed to idea for walking to Lincoln, restaurants, etc. and not in the heart of 'craziness.' As two active and healthy 55 year olds celebrating 30 years together, we did not feel out of place or uncomfortable. This may partially have been because the Raleigh was not adults only, and had a nice mix of a view young parents with toddlers, to bridesmaid parties, to honeymooners, etc.

We arrived to be greeted with exactly what we expected with our room and package. In our room was chocolate dipped strawberries and a bottle of chilled champagne in honor of our anniversary. A very lovely and appreciated gesture. I will say the rooms were nicely appointed and equipped, but nothing particularly swanky. Bathrooms had no tub and a very tight shower, and no counter space. However, we were very comfortable and I liked the walk in closet and live orchid, and beautiful, soft throw on the couch. I cannot imagine, however, staying here without a view of the pool/ocean. There are very few balconies and again, we wouldn't stay there without one. I will say though, the large air conditioner on the hotel next door was extremely loud, so when you are out on the balcony you can't hear the ocean over the din. It did take away from being on the balcony.

Pool was a gorgeous oasis and really added to our stay, particularly with very hot, humid September weather. Service was also almost universally excellent. Food was also excellent, if pricey -- it was particularly nice having that food credit. The homemade, grilled pineapple and basil soda was fabulous, refreshing and not to be missed!

We stayed three nights and the better part of 4 days and were thrilled with our choice. Having explored and walked through a number of other properties we had considered, we really think it was a fantastic choice -- especially with the great package, service, setting and location.

Room Tip: Must have one on an upper floor for view of ocean and above noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple