“Iconic Miami Beach hotel with amazing pool and great staff”

The Raleigh Miami Beach
Ranked #37 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 25 February 2014

For years, I have wanted to stay at this hotel. I finally found a good weekend with a decent high-season rate on the hotel's website and booked a room. The location is perfect. Right on the beach, on Collins Avenue, a few blocks from Lincoln Road, and a short walk to the restaurants/bars on Ocean Drive. The staff were one of the friendliest bunch of people I have met in a long time. Lots of smiling employees who really seemed to enjoy working with all of the guests. The staff at the pool were amazing. I spent so much time at the beautiful, iconic pool, that I got to know the staff there very well. They would remember little details about you from day to day and made you feel very welcome and relaxed. Hillary at the pool was especially gracious and helpful.

This is an old grand Miami Beach hotel that has been cared for and renovated in most areas (nice beds, electronics, electrical outlets, etc...). However, guests should not expect to be in a building that looks like it was built in the last couple of years. The elevators, for example, work just fine but they are small. I think they have done a great job of keeping a nice balance between the long history of the hotel with modern touches.

I stayed in a room on the third floor which appeared to be handicapped-accessible. I didn't request this but appreciated having a huge bathroom with a giant bathtub. I have posted photos of the room.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
brian v, General Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

We are thrilled that you had such a wonderful and memorable stay. It sounds like staying at the Raleigh was a few years in the making but I am so happy that this finally came to fruition and that you found in us your destination in Miami Beach. I'm so happy to hear that our staff gave you the attention and the service that we are so proud to provide all our guests and that you found welcoming smiles galore. Hillary is a very special team member, who I am so glad made a lasting impression. The Raleigh is definitely a time capsule from a bygone era that retains a style and glamour that still personify Miami Beach. We are so happy that your stay was enjoyable and truly memorable and we can't wait to welcome you back soon. Please feel free to contact me directly to assist you with whatever you may need.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The Raleigh was recommended to me by an old friend, so I booked it for my 3 day trip after pouring over hundreds of reviews & hotel options in South Beach. Of course, this is a beautiful hotel with lots of history and I certainly appreciate all of that nostalgia. Like other reviews state, the service here is excellent, and the classic martini bar inside is gorgeous. It was a rainy week when I stayed, so I could not enjoy all of the outside amenity areas, but the "oasis," the pool, and the beach look like great places to lounge in good weather.

That said, I'm not sure I would return to The Raleigh, mostly because I think there are some better prices out there for resorts of this caliber, for less $$. The rooms need a bit of a freshening up - it felt a little drab/old to me. The floors and doors are not insulated either - being an older building - so when the guests above me came home at 2:30 am to play Lady Gaga's "Applause" over and over again, it felt like I was in the room with them for the after party. (They woke me up out of a dead sleep) Anyway, for that room rate, I'd like a little bit more peace & quiet. Also, the hotel is quoted to be "non-smoking," but lots of people must have been smoking in their rooms anyway as the hallways smelled quite strongly of smoke in the mornings and late night, especially.

This is probably my own oversight, but i didn't realize i had been double tipping room service, the bar, the restaurant the whole time until the last day of my trip - oops! Don't let this happen to you - an 18% gratuity is already added to every tab. This might have been a good thing to point out to guests upon check in....I wasn't used to this type of system and I work in the tourism industry.

The location is great in South Beach, however! I loved being on Collins Avenue - it was very convenient to everything - very walkable.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SoloAdventureJ

Thank you kindly for sharing your review with us. We are glad to hear that you chose the Raleigh as it was recommended to you by an old friend and that what stood out the most for you was the service. I'm so sorry to hear that the weather was not the best, of course, when it rains you can't enjoy the beach, pool or so many of the fun things to do outside, however I will say it is not typically rainy this time of year. Your rest and comfortability of course are of the utmost importance to us, therefore I'm especially sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced by the noise from the guests in the neigboring room, and there was a paplable odor of smoke, especially since we are a non-smoking hotel and we strive to enforce our policy strictly. I will definitely look into this matter. Regarding the gratuity, at least in Miami Beach, an 18% gratuity is added automatically at most if not all restaurants, of course because this varies from place to place I recommed double checking beforehand, certainly it would not have hurt at all to notify you of this perhaps upon ordering or even at checkin. I'm glad love that you enjoyed both the classic charm that defines the Raleigh and the centric location, walking distance from everything, in Sobe. We would love another opportunity to give you the carefree and relaxing stay you deserved in the first place, next time hopefully with our usual sunny and warm weather. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your stay in more detail and possibly to assist you in making arrangements for your future stay.

Wamr regards,

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The Raleigh experience begins with your first contact with hotel staff as they greet you at your taxi. Friendly, smiling faces greet you and take care of your every need and question. The front desk staff was friendly and accommodating as we were very early for our check-in. To compensate for our wait, even though it was in no way their fault (we checked in at 10a.m.), they graciously offered an upgrade to our room. In the end we were quite happy to wait for our room to be readied. We spent a few hours out by the pool, which is absolutely breathtaking. Bar service at the pool is flawless, and it became quite obvious as we observed the patrons enjoying the pool that this is where the "pretty people" hangout, which made the pool experience all the more pleasurable. We enjoyed lunch at the pool from the restaurant and it was perfect! Our room went beyond our expectation. The bed was very comfortable and the shower/bathroom area was to die for. Best shower pressure I've experienced in a hotel anywhere! To wrap things up, the Raleigh experience was highly enjoyable, I will be sure to return. By the way, keep up the great work Dale, Kimberly, and various other unnamed hotel staff, you made our stay with you a delight!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am so happy to hear that right from the get-go and the moment of your arrival our staff made you feel as welcome as can be and that despite not having the room at your disposal when you arrived in the morning, you were able to make the most of the day. It sounds like the poolside was your favorite spot to hangout and with all due reason, it is the ideal place to sit back, take in the tropical sun, the sea breeze or have a delectable lunch form our Resaturant Michael Schwartz team. The vintage pastel green tile bathrooms and the showerheads, with the outstanding water pressure, are certainly some of the most beloved features our rooms have to offer. Thank you for acknowledging Kimberly at the front desk and Dale from our bellstaff, they are both wonderful team members that we are happy to have as two of our own, I will definitely share you warm remembrance with them. We would love to have you again and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just back from a week at the Raleigh. It is our 4th trip there and will be back again. Dale the bellman was incredibly helpful, Ivan and Johnny the best bartenders. It is the most beautiful space inside and out. Some small recent renovations in the foyer were nicely done. The food has always been great but now spectacular with Michael Schwartz at the helm. We ate at many fabulous restaurants but Michaels was the best! The pool is beautiful - beach is as well. We were so lucky to have perfect weather the whole week. The hotel is a one of a kind and hope it stays that way. The ambience is fabulous - it just makes you feel so good. The concierge Fernando was incredibly helpful as usual. Till the next time...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pam7160
brian v, General Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and your recent return visit. We are so happy that you have made the Raleigh your home in Sobe, and that our staff is able to make you feel at home and as welcome as ever. I will definitely share your warm comments with our bellman, Dale, Ivan and Johnny, our bartenders, and our concierge, Fernando. We are particularly proud of boasting The Michael Schwartz Restaurant, that offers a unique and delectable dining experience, for the restaurant and our outlets. The pool of course is the epicenter of the hotel and the beach is also a slice of paradise. We can assure you that the Raleigh will remain the hotel that you know and love. I'm glad that the accomodations, the weather, the service and everything else came together for a wonderful experience. We can't wait to welcome you back for your fifth stay.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Just returned from a long weekend at the Raleigh. We had a great experience and would definitely return to the Raleigh in the future.

Lobby and Pool - The hotel lobby, lobby bar, and pool have a really cool, laid back vibe that seems to be unique to the overly posh, "trying really hard" hotels that are in the area on Collins. The pool is quiet, relaxing, and you are treated to feeling extremely secluded even though you are in the heart of South Beach.

Rooms - First, you have to realize that you are staying in a historic boutique hotel, not a mega-chain. That said, our room was great. Although small, the room was quiet, the bed was comfortable, and we had no complaints.

Beach - Gorgeous. The Raleigh has a great private beach in a prime area. The beach staff are very eager to help and will try to get you the best spot available. The first day, we didn't get to the beach until the afternoon. There were no umbrellas left, so the beach staff gave us a cabana free of charge. Nice.

Special nod to the concierge Fernando, who was incredibly helpful and patient in making good recommendations for us and booking us many dinner reservations. Fernando is the man.

Room Tip: Room 405 was clean and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
brian v, General Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled that you were able to enjoy a wonderful long weekend at the Raleigh. The hotel does have a little bit of an "oasis/scantuary" quality admist all the clamor and going's on in Sobe. The pool and beach are the perfect places to enjoy peace and quiet and some relaxation in the sun. I am happy to hear that despite not having umbrellas on the first day, which I am truly sorry for, our beach crew was able to provide you with a concessionary alternative. The rooms, like the rest of the hotel, are true to the art deco look and streamline design, hence the terrazo floors, wicker furniture, pastel green tile bathroom, all the features that together makeup the historic and period piece nature of our property. I am very pleased to hear that Fernando, our concierge, was helpful in ensuring that your experience in Sobe was as memorable as your stay at the Raleigh. I will definitely share your prositive feedback with him and our team. We would love to have you as our guest again. Please feel free to contact me directly to assist you with your future stay.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

The Raleigh Hotel was the venue for our daughter's wedding in early February 2014. The event planning staff did an excellent job of helping us plan/orchestrate the outdoor ceremony (on "the beach" at the end of The Raleigh's property), followed by a cocktail reception and plated dinner. Our guests were "wowed" by the ambiance, service, delicious food (several people told us this was the best "wedding meal" they had ever experienced) and all of the nice extras. The Raleigh is just a dreamy place--palm trees, string lights, raised platforms for dining tables, lounges under tents tucked into the landscaping, all with a retro Deco flair. And that spectacular pool! We had an array of fantastic appetizers, followed by swordfish and short rib entrees, and ending with yummy wedding cake and two other desserts. The space was great for dancing, too. Honestly, I can't think of anything we could have asked for to improve the evening. Would recommend The Raleigh for a wedding or special party. The staff (led by Debra Erber) is outstanding.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
brian v, General Manager at The Raleigh Miami Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are thrilled to hear that your daughter's wedding at the Raleigh was amazing and that everyone had a wonderful time. We consider that our hotel is an ideal venue for weddings because of the intimate and romantic setting, classic flare and nostalgic charm that the Raleigh has to offer. The dinner options sound like they were the perfect concoction from our Restaurant Michael Schwartz team and that they were the ideal delectable choice to go with the lovely celebration. We're so grateful and thrilled that you chose us to celebrate such a momentous and important occassion. I will be sure to share your warm acknowldegment with Debre Erber, who is definitely one of our shining stars. We would love to have you again as our guest very soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Great pool, friendly service, direct access to beach, clean rooms and top-notch attention to detail!

Definitely would like to stay here again, especially if it is during the Mercedes-Benz fashion week.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We love that you enjoyed your stay and that all our amenities and our service were enjoyable and hallmarks of your experience. Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in July is definitely one of our very favorite times of the year, and as you might know already, has called the Raleigh home for over 10 seasons now. We would love to have to you then. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you and we look forward to welcoming you back.