“Great room, bar, hotel and staff. Fantastic location”

Winter Haven, Autograph Collection
Ranked #59 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We enjoyed a great two night stay at the Winter Haven in April.

Slight problem with the check-in as it was late and past 3pm before our room was available. This was well handled by the staff at reception by offering us complimentary drinks at the bar while we waited :)

We had booked a king, ocean front room. Large room with a very comfortable bed and good ocean views.

We slept very soundly in the bed and didn't encounter any noise issues.

Bathroom was on the small side, but a great shower (a proper cubicle would have been better than the curtain as we had a minor issue with getting the rest of the floor wet). Toilet was very difficult to navigate in such a small space - but not a major problem.

The location on Ocean is fantastic. Cross the road to the beach. All the bars along Ocean on your doorstep, Lincoln Road about 5 minutes walk away and Collins one block away.

Staff we encountered were very good. Great table service from the staff serving drinks.

We got a fantastic price for such a good hotel - especially in comparison to hotels of a similar standard in the area.

Huge choice of great hotels in Miami Beach, but Winter Haven will definitely be at the top of my list for my next trip to Miami Beach.

Room Tip: Worth the extra to get a king ocean front room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Carlos_S185, General Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear retep68,

Thank you for your recent stay and your wonderful review. It is always great to read when the staff makes a difference in our guest stay.

We take pride in the history of hotel and we look forward to you return visit.

Warm wishes,

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I will remember this hotel, that gives a pleasant atmosphere right opposite Miami Beach. Came in rental car bit stressed at first, but the reception staff are all very helpful, seems not a problem with valet service. Bathroom very small but opens up to the beautiful promenade and woke up to Miami sunrise, can't beat that.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Carlos_S185, General Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear sujoe,

It was an absolute delight to read about your great experience during your recent stay with us.

My staff and I strive for 100% guest satiation and take great pride in our guest and service. We are looking forward to seeing you again at your home away from home!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 May 2014

First off when arriving their valet area is next to impossible to spot, there will be no parking available. No valet was standing outside, you have to illegally park, and go find someone to help you park for $25 per day, go figure.

The next exciting part begins when you check in, the staff are extremely rude, even management is uncaring, I do not know how they got autograph status. The manager will try to apologize below, it is total nonsense, and do not buy it as a ploy they are willing to help, or care. As when they have the opportunity to do something, they just shrug, as they know you will be stuck as you have no other reservations. So management you can say whatever you want after the fact is meaningless.

If you can I would highly recommend you stay elsewhere. The toilet touches the shower pretty much. The vanity is just a sink, has no counter space. The bathroom needed caulking, and some minor repairs. The one lone elevator needs makes some weird noises, and it said to ask front desk for an inspection certificate which are usually in the elevators.

Really try to stay somewhere else if you can, even spend a few extra bucks. I know Javier you will come up with some nonsense response, but what your front desk girl put us thru was sickening to say the least. Do your homework people.

I really wish I had a better experience, after day 2, we moved somewhere else and it was a difference of night, and day.

Room Tip: I did not see a swimming pool, or any spa services offered. Many of the rooms on the main street ar...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ryan J

Dear Ryan j,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept our sincere apologies for not having provided the level of service you expected. We always try to be neither defensive nor dismissive; to that end I would definitely appreciate both an opportunity to talk to you directly, and of course, the chance to show you the Winter Haven experience that most of our Guests are writing about. I have reach out to you personally to the email we have on file.

We take our service and our Guests very seriously and very personally at the Winter Haven. I do hope you will give me the opportunity to explore your stay further with you.

Best,

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel is close to both the Ocean Drive restaurants and the Lincoln Road restaurants. It is also just across the street from the beach. For a boutique hotel, this is a nice hotel. We used the twenty-five cent bus when we went down to first street to see the cruise ships go out. Then we walked back. We did have a noise issue with other guests that was ultimately resolved. If you are a gold rewards member, don't expect a full concierge lounge as that does not exist.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BH2O

Dear BH20,

Thank you for you kind review!

We look forward to hosting you again in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will be glad to personally book your reservations.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I wish I had arrived to Winter Haven with lower expectations. I love boutique hotels and was really excited to stay on South Beach. The staff sent me a welcome email, but everything went downhill from there in terms of customer service. My room -- 519 -- has an a/c unit that's louder than an airplane. It's impossible to run the a/c and sleep at the same time. I was told that all the "19" rooms are like that, so avoid those rooms if possible. The staff has been unable to help. The attitude towards me is "deal with it." That's not acceptable at the price it costs to stay here. While my complaint is specific and may not apply to other travelers, the inability of Winter Haven to remedy the problem speaks to a larger lack of interest in their clients. I'll try another hotel next time -- fortunately there are many!

Room Tip: Avoid the "19" column in the back.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank SambaDC
Javier E, General Manager at Winter Haven, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear SambaDC,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. I offer my sincerest apologies for what should have been a pleasant experience. As well, I will be certain to share your comments with our team so we can work to eliminate these types of issues for our future guests.

We are sorry to hear you were not able to enjoy your recent stay as expected.
Please feel free to reach out to me directly, I can be reached at Javier.egipciaco@hhmlp.com

Again, I offer my sincerest apologies for this less than exceptional experience.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I really enjoyed staying at the Winter Haven. I got a great deal on it on Priceline. The hotel was very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Roberta at the front desk took good care of me. She was very helpful with everything from dinner recommendations to reserving a taxi. The staff also greeted me by name when I would walk though the lobby even though I only stayed for 3 days!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear BradF,

Thank you for your recent visit and taking the time in writing your view!
We are honored that we were able to create a memorable experience.
Please feel free to reach out to me directly on your next visit to Miami Beach.

We look forward to your future stay with us!

Best regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I gave this hotel a 4 after my first visit in March 2013 because of the parking issue. After settling in on that visit, I discovered the nearby City of Miami Beach garage at 13th Street and Collins. Knowing what to expect and being familiar with the garage made my second visit in November go more smoothly. The entire staff was great and I was given a wonderful rooftop room with French doors leading to a private outside sitting area which was a nice surprise.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AColl

Dear AColl,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review.. Please let me know when you will be returning to the hotel as I would be delighted to personally handle your booking.

Warm wishes,