“Four Fantastic years in a row!!”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #121 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Somerset, Massachusetts, United States
“Four Fantastic years in a row!!”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We have been going to South Beach for 8 years and for the last four we have stayed at the Richmond Hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful...some actually remembered us! The rooms are clean and comfortable enoough ( face it who stays in a room down here).Our room had a nice little fridge for water and soda etc. The property is well cared for and they supply beach towels ouotside so you dont have to waste room towels.What we love most about the Richmond is its fab location. You can walk to the beach the clubs lincoln road, you name it and you can walk there. There is a cute little resturant on site and you are clse to CVS and Walgreens so dont stress if you need beach supplies. We plan on returning next year for our 9th anniversy on the 4th of July.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fridge....we have never had a bad room.
1 Thank Suebee58
StuartRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you so much, Suebee58! We can't wait to welcome you back to your Home on South Beach!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I have more good than bad to say. Start with the bad which will be brief: bedskirt was dirty. Looked like someone wiped their shoe with the bottom of the bedskirt. I wasn't sleeping on the bedskirt so I didn't care. One of the pillows had a dirty pillowcase. Looked like an inkstain you get when you dry clothes and a busted pen is in with the clothes.The hotel provides you with four pillows and I don't need but one so I used a clean one. Neither of these minor issues stopped us from sleeping in the bed and we didn't call housekeeping nor the frontdesk to complain and give them an opportunity to fix it. By the time we got to our rooms each night we just wanted to shower, go to bed, and crash. The sheets were clean and the bed was comfortable. Now the greatness: I definitely suggest getting an oceanview room to make your stay the most pleasureable. Definitely take a look at the room suggestion link. We must have had great neighbors on the 6th floor because I did not hear my neighbors. However I did walk by some rooms on the first floor and could hear noise coming from inside. We did not come to Miami to sit in our room. We hung out at the beach, in the pool and jacuzzi, walked along the strip, went sightseeing, and shopped. There was so much to do in Miami. The hotel staff was very helpful. I want to thank Ishmael for making sure we had a great room (reservations online but followed up with a call). We had a great view of the beach and ocean. I want to thank Rodney. Anywhere we wanted to go whether to eat or clubbing, he was the most knowledgeable and had menus and club info readily available. We felt like royalty from the moment we walked into the hotel...the doormen were always ready to open the door and greet us with a smile and friendly welcome. Our room was great. We loved the mix of old and new in the bathroom, decor, and furnishings. The bathroom was dated with push handle toilets, three turn knobs in the tub for the water (hot, cold, tub/shower controls) but had a fog proof mirror and nice sturdy retractable clothesline to dry our swimwear. The water pressure was fine for my husband and I. The room had pictures depicting an old postcard written to someone at the hotel and a picture of the pool from yesteryears and then had a flat screen TV and digital cable. The bed had a quilt on it that made me think of the ones my grandmother used yet the bed was so comfortable. All a great mix of old and new. My husband and I agree that we will be back to Miami again since there is so much more to see and do and we will stay at The Richmond.

Room Tip: My lovely room was 619. It's worth it to compare prices and specials on The Richmond's websi...
2 Thank sharlite
Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed 5 nights at the Richmond, and overall a good stay in the hotel. Didn't stay in the room all day just to get ready and sleep. What I Loved about it is that the beach is right behind it with a walking way leading directly to it. The pool goes up to 8ft so that was good. Love the breakfast, delicious, but a little pricey, and that the hotel is in a great location. My husband and I walked everywhere, only used a taxi from and to airport. The hotel vibe is dead, didn't seem busy, but that was good for us, but i guess not good for those looking to party and drink at the hotel bar, b/c there is no hotel bar and restaurant only serves breakfast and lunch, not dinner. The only thing i didn't like was, the room was kind of small, but it was clean, the walls are thin so you can hear people in other rooms, even there tv if you don't have yours on, the water in the shower would change to really hot when people in the other room flushed the toilet (you can hear toilet flush) and there is really no where to unpack your stuff, there is not chest w/drawers and only 5 hangers, there is shelving in the closet but not a lot. I like to unpack b/c it makes it easier to get ready instead of digging through your suitcase. and another thing i didn't really like is, that when room service would come, they didn't replace the correct amount of towels and most of the time didn't replace toilet paper, so when we would call to get 2 rolls of TP, they would only bring 1 so it made it a little annoying to keep calling for TP, and the towels. But overall good stay. I LOVE Miami Beach and loved laying on the beach all day and walking Ocean Drive at night. The hotel itself is nice but the room we stayed in was small, noisey, and room service was ok.

Room Tip: We stayed on 3rd floor w/ view of pool of hotel next to us and our room had door connection to anoth...
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 July 2012

My fiance and I stayed at The Richmond for 5 nights last week. It was a bit of a last second booking after finding out our original hotel was under construction. Anyway, I was somewhat familiar with this hotel based on just research. I knew not to expect anything spectacular and was more concerned with its location and price. Below are a few of my pros and cons.

Pros
Locations: Walking distance to Ocean, Lincoln, Esponola Way, Etc
Beachfront: Private entry to/from Beachwalk and Beach
Price: Even though it's not cheap, for the area, it's on the lower end of the price range
Pool: Nothing spectactular but is a good sized pool and has a hot tub. There was always chairs and tables to choose from. The pool was the best part of the hotel
Refrigerator in room

Cons:
Small room: Very small bathroom, very small toilet
Old: Everything in the room has noticeable wear and tear
WiFi: Even though it says free wifi on the website, there is a $10/day wifi charge
No storage space: There is a small walk in closet with shevles but there are no drawers and the bathroom has no counter space.
Shower: Not a ton of water pressure and knobs are hard to control temperature.
Even though the cleaning service was real timely every day, the hotel just did not have that "clean" feeling.
Thin walls: You could hear everything going on in the hallways and your neighbors. We actually had a conversation with our neighbors through the bathroom vents lol.
Not much sitting area, even for just 2 people.
Phones: I called the front desk once for a pizza suggestions and they transferred me but found out i was charged $1.50 for the call. So just be aware.

Suggesting this hotel would depend on the person. If you are the type of person that spends a lot of time in the hotel and on the property, this hotel is not for you. If you are the type of person who is only in the room to just sleep, then this hotel is doable.

Some minor updates, paired with its location and this hotel can really be a good deal. But like most hotels in this price range in South Beach, it's old and worn down. BUT the pool area kind of saves it.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed here for a weekend as a stay-cation b/c we live in South Florida and so we have stayed in almost a dozen hotels in Sobe from the very posh to the small/crumby art-deco type. This was of course on the lower end of our list but that's what we expected for the price (we paid only $265 for 2 nights!!!). If you're planning to spend a lot of time outside of the hotel (we were down for a concert) and want to spend your money on something besides the hotel, then it's perfect for that. Although I will warn you that everything I read from other reviewers was true when it came to the noise. It is one of the loudest hotels I've ever been in. We could hear entire conversations from the couple next door and no doubt they could hear us too. For me as a light sleeper, that was a huge problem and is the reason I will not be back. Other than that, the rooms were adequate and big enough for the price, the pool area was actually very nice and lead right out onto the beach so that was a BIG plus. Also the BEST part about the hotel..... it's right next to Lincoln Road and so almost anything you want to do is walkable. Also the rooms have a fridge and unlike fancier hotels, it was not filled with crap on a sensor to buy, so you could actually put your own drinks/food in there.... big plus. Bottom line... if you are looking for a cheaper hotel but want to have a pool/beach access (there are a LOT of cheaper hotels in Sobe but a lot do not have pools and are not on the beach), then this is a good option. But bring ear plugs!!!

Room Tip: AWAY from the elevator (that only adds to the noise you will hear in this hotel)
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I visited South Beach in July 2010 on a very random, last minute getaway booked through Expedia which included over night accommodations at The Richmond. I was well aware going into this, that I was not going to be staying at an All-Inclusive, 5 star Resort; however I was quite pleased w/ my stay at The Richmond. Having never been to South Beach, this hotel embodied the Art Deco style that I had envisioned. Its beachfront location/private beach entrance and walking distance to all that South Beach has to offer are definitely perks of this property. The Richmond's pool is absolutely beautiful and make for a great place to relax after a day at the beach. Also, the hotel has a small exercise room, that would suffice for two nights. There were only two negatives about the trip: 1.) The rooms are VERY small and cramped and 2.) The alcohol at the hotel "bar" is very expensive. (Head to the CVS and/or Liquor Store a few blocks up to save $$$). Other than that, I'd certainly consider staying at the Richmond on future trips to South Beach.

Room Tip: Upgrade from the standard King-Size bed room for more spacious accommodations.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed here on a Sunday night in the first week of July. The hotel was pretty quiet, not too many people around the pool during the day, though there were plenty of people on the beach. It seemed like a good mix of people, some couples in their twenties and thirties, a few families, solo travelers and possibly businesspeople. The pool and hot tub are open until 11 PM and when a friend and I went in around 9, we had both to ourselves. The room and bathroom were clean, new, and comfortable, and the TV was huge. I really liked the decor of the hotel as well. I see a lot of reviewers posting pictures of teeny tiny issues like a crack in the ceiling or a speck of dirt behind the toilet - people need to calm down, who cares? I am a clean freak and I felt absolutely comfortable here. The hotel is right on the beach, you just have to step over a small boardwalk. There's a beachwalk that runs behind the hotel and neighboring hotels, and it's nice to take a walk and peer in to their backyards/pools, especially at night. I enjoyed the fact that the hotel is quiet and doesn't play any music in the pool area - the Shore Club right next door certainly seems to have a more partylike atmosphere, as does The Delano a few hotels down - we could feel the bass from their music all the way on the beach. Didn't hear it at the pool, though. We also made use of the exercise room which had two Precor ellipticals and a treadmill. Lincoln Road with all the shops and restaurants was only a 5 minute walk, and if you want to save a little on parking, there's a huge garage that's very safe about 8 minutes away walking on 17th street by the convention center. All in all, I really enjoyed the hotel and would come again!

• Stayed June 2012