“Good experience”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #125 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This was my second Miami trip, last year for Miami carnival in October. My best friend and I stayed at the Richmond (my boyfriend and I stayed at The Catalina last June-right across from the Richmond. The Richmond has a great pool at the back of the hotel and there is a path right to the beach since it's on Collins a block away from the beach. For some reason there are no rooms for more than 2 people. That's what I was told. The hotel is clean and the rooms are not bad. We were facing the street and we could barely see anything due to the big bamboo trees right next to our window. There is also a little restaurant downstairs but we did not get to eat there. I really loved the pool and lounge area with easy access to the beach. I would recommend the Richmond and would stay again. You get what u pay for.. If you're looking for extras pay extra :)

Room Tip: Try to get the ocean view room. I don't think there's too many of them but it would definite...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank EdmaM
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your great review. We are an older hotel, designed in a Classic Art Deco style. The rooms are not designed for more than 2 people per room. We do offer Suites, that can accommodate a larger group. You are absolutely right, you get what you pay for. We offer a great resort experience, at a modest family oriented price.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Good hotel for the money and location. Though, please install wireless internet on the whole hotel instead of a room that you sit in. We also stayed on the hotel next door (south seas) and they have wireless for free on the whole hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stiib

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time post you review. Our wireless internet is provided through a private company, for a charge of $10 dollars for a 24 hour period. While other hotel do offer free wireless, there is usually a resort fee or other hidden fee. The Richmond Hotel has no hidden fees.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Maybe I am used to hotels with more amenities (such as a bar, vending machines, ice machines) but for the money this hotel came up short. The staff is very nice and helpful but the hotel itself needs upgrading. I read in a prior review that the rooms were noisy...boy was that ever an understatement! We could hear the people next door to us all night...right up til 5am! They were not being loud but you could hear everything they were doing...everything...through the connecting doors. We were unable to control the temp in our room but luckily it was unusually cool when we were there. As for the shower, the water pressure was horrible and you cannot control the water temperature. How do I know this? The water was too hot so I turned off the hot water and kept on the cold...it was still scalding...thankfully the pressure was so low I couldn't get too burned. The pool and hot tub were nice, but there were no towels by the pool. I recommend their breakfast for $9.95..and like I said the staff was very nice. I went to use a public bathroom and found there was no toilet paper, but that was okay since the toilet itself was covered in feces. Suffice to say I do not recommend staying here.

Dear guest,
I apologize for all the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. As we are an older, we are always maintaining, and upgrading the hotel. It is true that our walls are a little thin. We do our best to relocate guest, to a more quiet part of the building whenever possible. Our housekeeping staff constantly cleans and monitors all the public areas, including the restrooms. Our pool attendant constantly maintains the pool area, and refills the guest towels. Unfortunately we were a little behind during you stay.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I got the hotel on groupon and it was a great deal. Location is prime. The superior room was clean, the pool and spa were very refreshing. For what I got over a holiday weekend for less than $150/night in SoBe I felt pretty lucky.

The hotel is old if you are expecting the Ritz well lower your expectations. If you want a clean place to stay the hotel meets that requirement. I did feel that the queen was a rather small queen.

The food at the veranda cafe was ok I only ate breakfast daily special was the best deal. I would suggest to the hotel to change the special the four days I was there it never changed.

If you stay here be sure to go out on the beach from the hotel there is a nice board walk that is great to walk on.

Staff was friendly and nice. The only thing with my groupon it said I would get 2 welcome drinks I did not receive those.

Overall the hotel met my needs and I would stay here again if I was able to get a deal again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear guest,
Thank you for review. I apologize that you did not receive your welcome drinks. They are most definitely part of the package. We look forward to seeing you again soon, and please ask for the Front Office Manager about the welcome drinks. By my count, we owe you a double.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

This hotel is an old, family-run hotel, that does show its age. The carpet of the main downstairs hallway has seen better days; the walls are thin; the pool towels are not the fluffiest, etc. But I have stayed in other hotels in South Beach many times (including in a fancy sea-view room at the Lowes) and none could compare to the Richmond for charm, location, beach access, and the wonderful staff.
1) The hotel has a friendly, intimate feel, and it feels like a real "old Florida" place. The garden is spectacular, with beautiful old palms, lots of plants that are mature and have grown there over time and look like they really belong there (not planted in haste by a landscaper, like at the other hotels). You really feel like you are in the tropics! The hotel is relatively small compared to its more modern neighbors, some of which are just enormous and completely soulless (for instance, the Ritz-Carlton is nearby, but the Richmond is so much more sympatico!). If you are European, or an artist or poet, or are sensitive to nature and older, charming things, you'll appreciate the Richmond.
2) We were there during The Polar Vortex, and it was as cold as it ever gets in Miami, but the marvelous Jacuzzi and heated Swimming Pool saved our vacation. Despite the cool temperatures we were able to don our swimsuits and paddle to our heart's content. The weather soon warmed up and the last day of our stay we rented a two lounge chairs and a cabana on the beach, and considering what we got, it did not feel expensive. It is just fantastic that the Richmond has direct access to the beach! Who could ask for more at this price?
3) We had a room on an upper floor with sea view. I really recommend this, because the view from up there is simply spectacular, with the palm trees in the pretty garden below, and the sea in the distance. Our room was number 618.
4) The location can't be beat! Since it was cold, we hopped over to the nearby Lincoln Road outdoor shopping mall, which is not to be missed as it is rather beautiful. Not far is quaint Espanola Way, with its good restaurants. Then on to the Wolfsonian, and Lummus Park. The Delano (one of Miami's best hotels) is less than a block away, as well as the ultra de luxe SLS hotel, with its world-class restaurants. These are the Richmond's neighbors, but the Richmond is of course a fraction of the price.
5) But best of all at the Richmond is the wonderfully attentive staff, on which I called on multiple times for help. They were just amazing, providing everything I asked for RIGHT AWAY, such as a BandAid for a sore foot; a new toothbrush was sent up to my room immediately as I had forgotten mine; and MARCO the doorman helped me with my bags on departure, called the cab, and helped me estimate my time of departure, warning me of traffic, etc. THANK YOU MARCO!!! Also, an incredibly nice guy on the evening shift helped me with the pool, encouraging us to use it, helping us with the temperature of the water, etc. THANK YOU NICE STAFF MEMBER BY THE POOL!
YES I WILL BE BACK WITH THE REST OF MY FAMILY SOON!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a sea view, facing over the garden. These are sunny rooms, and you wi...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BellaGeorge

Dear guest,
Thank you for your very detailed review. I don't think I could have said it better. Please consider yourself a part of the Richmond family. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed here on 2 separate nights while cruising out of Miami. It is an older property built in 1941, but has been updated and maintained. The doormen are attentive and friendly. The folks at the front desk are all nice and helpful. The hotel is in good shape considering it's age. The rooms are smallish, but again, this is south beach and the hotel is vintage. The 2 rooms we stayed in were nice. Not in perfect condition, but nice. The bathrooms were in good shape. Believe me, you can stay at a much worse place in this area. The ground floor at the back of the hotel is a very nice place to lounge around. They have a bar and restaurant, but the prices are out of this world. I know it's a high rent district, but $15.00 for a cocktail?
The pool and hot tub are very nice. The whole back section of the hotel is very inviting. The beach is right there for you to enjoy.

2 complaints would be that the rooms have thin doors that connect every two of them. (adjoining rooms) There is no sound insulation in these doors so you hear everything that your neighbor is doing. And there were loud people in the halls on Saturday night. I guess it's South Beach and people are there to party. I fully expected the noise because of the locale. So, not a deal breaker. Overall, I would recommend this hotel. The price is good for this area and the service and amenities are good.

2  Thank travelwithmydear

Dear guest,
Thank you for your reviews. We always strive to maintain the hotel, and keep her in tip top shape. Being that we are an older hotel, our walls are a little thin. I apologize for the inconvenience. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We just spent a weekend here for my fiancé's 60th birthday. I read reviews before going so I somewhat knew what to expect. This is an old and independently owned property so don't expect it to look like a modern hotel inside. Ceilings are low and the elevator is shaky. I had booked a "superior" room - it wasn't much bigger than an inside cruise ship cabin. The bed was a queen-sized bed, not a king as I imagined we would get. We had to jockey around each other to get around the room. At least our view was of the neighboring hotel's pool area and not a wall. The room was tidy but in dire need of a paint job. I tried wiping the door in the bathroom with one of my Clorox wipes and the dirt didn't come off! Scuff marks on the baseboards, etc. The carpet, or rather carpet squares, were visibly dirty in areas throughout the room however, I expected this in a beachside hotel. The furnishings were of the 1970's and of Walmart quality. I wondered why the phone was placed on the bedside the way it was - when I lifted it, there was what appeared to be the ink from a plastic bag logo that had stuck to the furniture! The phone was placed there to cover it up! Mattresses were so soft you sunk almost to the floor but the pillows were plump. We were only given one towel set per person. There were toiletries on the "leaning" bathroom shelf - shampoo, conditioner, and soap. My only complaint about the bathroom is the window in the shower - the bottom of the blinds was completely rusted and an eyesore. Otherwise it was clean. As others have said, the television sits very low - I watched my fiancé's feet while he watched television! I believe this was set up this way because of the mirror on the wall above it. Perhaps the hotel should consider moving the mirror to the adjacent wall and raise the television? As far as noise, because of the "industrial" type toilets, flushing created a "roaring" noise and woke us throughout the night (I guess we woke some folks up too!). Our room had an adjoining door to the next room. The door had absolutely no sound insulation - the door might as well have been open for the amount of noise that came through. It was also at least 1/2 inch above the carpet so you could see the light coming from the next room. One thing to keep in mind, check in is at 4pm. And that is pretty much firm as we didn't see cleaning staff until hours much later than other hotels. I wouldn't plan to arrive early or wear your swimsuits under your clothes so that you can go to the pool area when you arrive. They will hold your bags until your room is ready. The next day, the cleaning staff shorted us of washcloths, toilet paper, and a bathmat. Since we had gotten into the second roll of paper, I always thought it was "standard" to put a backup roll in the bathroom. I called for a second roll as something didn't agree with my fiancé's insulin. We waited - it never came! I checked the amount of facial tissues in the box to make sure we had something when the roll ran out. Then I would have gone to the bathroom by the cafe' to swipe a roll if he needed it! I was rather pissed about the paper - didn't they think we really needed it if we called for it?! Air conditioning was controlled with either on or off - so choose between freezing or muggy temperatures in the room.

Now for some good points:

Staff is very friendly, warm, and welcoming. The pool area is really nice (much better kept than the rooms!). The Jacuzzi was warm with both strong and soft jets. The pool is a decent size for the hotel. The café has tasty food although expensive for the portions. At the end of the property is direct access to the beach and "boardwalk" that leads all the way down Ocean Drive. It is securely gated with a combination the hotel will provide you with upon check in. Location is great - close to Lincoln Road Mall, Espanola Way, the Fillmore, and close to the SoBe Local bus line (which is only 25 cents per person). You can catch that at 17th & Washington, one block from the hotel and makes a loop through the South Beach area.

Would I stay again? Honestly, I don't know...

Room Tip: A "superior" room may give you a better view if it matters to you....
1  Thank lenflady
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your very informative review. We take every review very seriously. We want all our guest's to have the best experience possible. You have given us quite a bit to look out for. I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I hope you choose to stay at the Richmond Hotel again in the future.