“Terrible ”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #124 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Very noisy and dirty rooms. Walls are thin and the room was generally noisy in many ways all night. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone even though it is on the beach. Bathroom had little cold water......really.....and was mouldy and dirty. Tv did not work properly either.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank canadawpg
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. South Beach is know for the night life, and sometimes our guest's bring the party back to the hotel. We have staff on duty 24 hours a day to resolve these issues. It is true, that the walls are a bit on the thin side. We try and relocate out guest's to a more quiet part of the building whenever possible. It's unfortunate that we could not resolve your issues, during your stay. I would appreciate the chance to discuss this further. Please feel free to contact via email.
ismael@richmondhotel.com

There are newer reviews for Richmond Hotel

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed one week in Richmond. Its reasonable priced and front desk is very friendly. Unfortunatly hotel rooms are not clean. Stanes on carpets, rusting door hinges and floor in bath dirty. Hairs in the bath tub. Also the garden is not kept very nice. ( all see pictures )

The worst is the Houskeeping; it is in hand of some Creole Clan, girl was asking already on first day for tip. Slow and lazy.
Rooms where made every day very late. ( after 4 pm)
Room was never clean - towel never delivered in one complet set for the whole week.

With little efford and good instructions of the staff hotel would make much better impression

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marc K

Dear guest,
It sounds like you have a very negative experience. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We have a great housekeeping and maintenance department. Our housekeeping staff is professional and courteous, I am very surprised that they actually asked you for a tip on the first day?? I will definitely bring this to the attention of the Housekeeping Director. Our housekeeping department consists of wonderful people from many different countries. It's very unfortunate that you chose to speak so negatively about our Haitian staff??? Please be rest assured that none of our staff is slow and lazy, or members of any clan.

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

The walls are paper thin. The people next door carried on a normal conversation and we could hear every word. Kept us up all night but not there fault just cause walls are paper thin. Everything is outdated and bathroom is tiny. Dont waste your money!!!!!! Huge disappointment.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank travelabroad123
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear guest,
I'm sorry you had such a negative experience during your stay. We are one of the last classic Art Deco hotels on the beach. Our guest's experience the ambiance of a time long ago. On the contrary! We offer the South Beach resort experience, at a very modest rate!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I had to think about what I would rate this hotel. I think you have to put it into context. It is an Art Deco style hotel - and you have to appreciate that it may not have all that a more modern hotel would have, but it has location - right on the beach, a beautiful pool and cafe area - and is location in the middle of all the action south beach has to offer.

The staff were very nice and helpful - and on my second trip there, after a cruise, they upgraded me to a beachfront room.

There is a fee for internet access - which was a downside - but if you are looking for a South Beach location, I would recommend it.

Also, unlike other reviewers, I found the rooms to be very clean.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear guest,
We appreciate your great review. It's always good to hear from our repeat guest's. Please consider the Richmond, your home away from home.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I don't typically write reviews when I go on vacation, but I just had to for this hotel. I have never encountered anything like this place before EVER. Now I realize that it is located in the heart of South Beach, but there is no way this place should be charging the prices it charges for what you get. If I was a high school student on spring break, I would expect a better room and for close to $250 a night, I would definitely expect much better service....

I dont even know where to start. How about the fact that the room is approximately 150 sq ft and the decor hasn't been updated since the mid 70's. There is no view of the ocean from any room, so don't let their oceanfront status fool you.

The pool and the restaurant both close by 7 PM, so hopefully you are not looking to go for a night swim or even get a snack after 7 PM. Also, there is a sign stating that you cannot drink at the pool. I am not a big drinker, but don't people enjoying having a few cocktails or even an iced tea at the pool.

The best part was the fire alarm being pulled... Now I have stayed in hotels where the fire alarm has been pulled in the past and I know this is not the fault of the hotel. It is incredibly inconvenient for them I am sure. However, the fire alarm was pulled at 6:30 AM by somebody. We woke up and exited through the stairwell - or at least tried. When we reached the bottom of the stairs, the exit door was supposed to empty to an alley way - but the door would not open because it was blocked by garbage cans. After a few men were able to push through and we finally were able to exit the building, we realized that we were stuck in the alley because the gate to the pool was locked by a keycode and the keycode supplied by the hotel did not work. The front of the alley way was blocked by huge dumpsters, that able bodied folks could have climbed over, but older or disabled folks, would have been trapped. Unbelievable.

The pool was very small, but seemed clean. There were plenty of pool chairs, but I think that is only because the resort was fairly empty. The valets were all very polite, but that is about where the kindness ended. We didn't feel that this hotel provided anywhere close to what was expected for the amount of money paid. We stayed further north up the beach for the second leg of our trip and for less money, we got a 2 BR, 2 Bath condo with a gorgeous view and oceanfront access. Save yourself the trouble and money and stay in North Beach, but visit SoBe - it's way overrated.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ScottsdaleLover
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to post your review. All of our rooms are approximate 250 square feet. We are constantly upgrading and maintaining every room. We are not a brand new high rise hotel, and we offer a classic Art Deco ambiance. Unfortunately not every room can be an ocean front, but we do our best to upgrade our guest's whenever possible. Our pool services close at sundown, but the pool itself, remains open all night. The restaurant does close around 7:00 PM, but there is not shortage of excellent dinning in Miami Beach area. There is no sign against drinking by the pool, but we do not authorize glass containers or coolers by the pool. The Richmond Hotel offers a wide variety of signature drinks, and we encourage our guest's to enjoy them poolside. Unfortunately someone did maliciously pull a fire alarm station during your stay, but the issue was resolved immediately. The exit immediately to the right of the dumpsters, is wide open and very accessible. You had unfortunately attempted to reenter the property through an employee entrance. Our pool is not small, but is on average with other property's in the area. Our rates are very competitive for the South Beach area. You can always find a lower rate, outside the Miami Beach area, but then your denying yourself the South Beach experience.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

After staying six times in Miami It's the first time that i have to give a negative rating for a hotel.
the positive aspects first: the Staff is really nice and helpful, the Pool area is very nice and it is straight on the beach.
We checked in today in Room 324 - it was totally dirty (black mold on the shower curtain, hair and dust everwhere), bed sheets dirty, the floor had more stains than original colour and the bathroom was so small that you couldn't even lift the toilet seat without hitting the toilet paper on the wall. My wive cryed and we decided to change our room for the first time in our vacations.
After our complaint we moved over to room no 421.
The good things are that it has been cleaned and the walls seemd to be painted within the last years. The bad things are: the control panel for the aircondition is broken, the door for closet is broken, the bathtub has stains all over and the sheets are dirty. Worse to say that this crappy room is still better than the first one.
We've never had such a bad experience in a hotel.
If you want to stay here please check the available rooms before you check in - we booked through expedia and feel a little bit cheated that rooms like this are offered.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Martin H

Dear guest,
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the negative experience you had during your stay. This is definitely not the impression we want our guest to leave with. I will share this review with hotel management, and make sure this issue is resolved immediately. I would appreciate the chance to discuss this issue with you personally. Please feel free to contact me via email, to further discuss the issue you had during your stay.
Best regards,
Front Office Manager,
ismael@richmondhotel.com

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Richmond Hotel is a good value for staying in South Beach. The hotel staff was very friendly and attentive to our needs. We had one issue and it was handled very quickly for us. The area is known for their "art deco" vibe. The Richmond Hotel follows suit with their 40s-style decor. It is located right on the beach and only 2 blocks from Lincoln Rd. where you can find all varieties of great restaurants. I agree with others reviewers that the housekeeping is the only downfall of this hotel. And, yes, with finding hairs. We found hairs all in our bed (thankfully prior to us laying down). I would probably stay here again due to the convenience and price, but will be sure to check my bedding before accepting the room. I would love to give it more stars, but cleanliness is my main concern in a hotel room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
RichmondManager, Front Office Manager at Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We strive to offer immaculate rooms, but apparently we fell short during your stay. I will share this review with hotel management. Thank you again for your patience, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.