“horrible experience”

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #132 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
NC
Reviewed 27 October 2004

I just spent a week at the Richmond Hotel and I have to say that the staff was one of the worst I had ever come across. The employees that I dealt with could not perform basic functions and were extremely unpleasant. Not to mention that the hotel is not maintained in anyway- you can't even get to the beach on their walkway without passing through garbage and weeds. Yes- garbage... I could not believe it! It was the only hotel along the beach that looked so bad. I wasted money and time by going to this hotel and even if I was given a free stay, I would not be interested in returning there.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,345)

New york city
Reviewed 21 October 2004

I stayed at the Richmond Hotel the weekend of (October the 8-11 2004) the service was very good the staff was very friendly, my room was clean and spacious and well air conditioned for Miami's 90 degree temp, i would recommened it to anyone and i will stay there again,if you only plan on being in South Beach forget about renting a car because the Hotel is walking distance to everything ,you pay a hefty parking fee for a car you might only drive one time while on your trip ,and yes the beautiful beach is really right out through the back door of the hotel it's as close as you will get to the Caribean with out leaving the states.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 October 2004

A group of us stayed at the Richmond for a couple of days before Hurricane Jeanne drove us away. For the price we paid it was really good. The pool area is especially nice and the people behind the front desk were very helpful in advising us about our options in the face of a 'mandatory evacuation' order. The bedrooms are just about OK so spend your time out and about! Also the hotel backs straight onto the beach!

• Stayed: September 2004
1  Thank RoyWatford_UK
Reviewed 2 October 2004

The richmond is very nice and for the price you cant beat it. Sure the carpets in the hallway and room did have stains on them, but it really wasnt a big deal. We stayed with another couple and the room they got was really small compared to ours, so they ask the front desk if they could have a room and the front desk was happy to move them to a room of the same size. Maid service does take forever, but after they are done the rooms are clean. Location is perfect being right next to lincoln road and right on the beach. I would highly recommend staying here again, esp because of the price!

1  Thank andb2000
New Orleans, La
Reviewed 25 September 2004

Me and my boyfriend went Sept 9-13 we had a great time. I was kind of scared to see how the hotel looked and my room, I was reading all the reviews saying they had a rude staff and the the rooms are dirty. It was nothing like that, the bed is so comfortable, room is cozy, pool area is great me and my boyfriend don't swim to much back home but when we saw that pool we were in it 3 times a day, hot tub was nice too kept very clean. The reasurtant was a little high breakfast was $10 a plate but the cook was so nice, don't stay open long they close at 2:00. Staff was very nice. The room is small but cozy, also the bathroom. The only thing that I was no pleased about was the air cond. they have centeral air so they control the air all you have in the room is a black nob to close or open the vent at night it was kind of hot I'm the type of person that I have to sleep with the air on high I like the cold, so since it was a little hot in are room we walk to CVS which is down the street and brought a fan and return when I left. Also they don't have many channels I think they have about 15 channels and there not good ones. Other than that I was pleased.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 September 2004

My husband and I wanted to stay away from home just for a couple of days. After searching for a hotel in this area & all of them being booked we decided to give this one a try. I was familiar w/it but never been inside. We arrived a little early & since it was a busy weekend the hotel was sold out so our room was not ready but they held our belongings while we lounged by the pool & enjoyed the ocean (it is ocean front). Once our room was ready we registered and went upstairs. To my surprise the room was oceanview in a quiet corner. The room was very cute & clean more like a boutique hotel with blow drier, ironing board & all the amenities you get in an expensive hotel. I was very impressed because the rates were low compared to the others in the area. It has a nice pool area w/a jacuzzi, the restaurant does not stay open too long but since you are surrounded by different places to eat it should not be a drawback. There are a lot of places to go walking distance such as Lincoln Road Mall, The Delano Hotel for drinks or dinner, The Shore Club, etc. The staff was very helpful & we were able to get a late check out @ 2pm!
I'ts a quiet little place to lay back & relax
I really recommend this little place. I will stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2004
1  Thank zpcsc
Reviewed 2 August 2004

Me and my wife had planned to go to south beach for the period of July 11 - 16. I searched the Internet several times, read lots of reviews about lots of hotels in south beach. Finally the number of hotels went down to 3 which include Dorset, Richmond, Marseilles. After reading the reviews and checking out the photos together with my wife we decided on staying in Richmond. And booked a trip for 5 nights in Richmond.

I am going to write the things about the hotel and what we experienced during our stay without adding any personal thoughts.

1. Richmond is located between 17th and 18th streets on Collins Ave. It's close to the art deco area.

2. There is a bus stop very close to the hotel.

3. The entrance of the hotel looks nice with lots of palm trees.

4. The lobby is not a huge one. Decorated nicely.

5. Front desk staff does not speak fluent english but thats how life is in Miami anyway. The staff that we met during our stay were smiling enough.

6. We stayed on the 4tth floor, room 434. Room was not so big but enough for 2 (definitly bigger that the ones here in Hilton New York).

7. Bathroom is not much different than the ones you could see in a small city apartment. But it was enough. We never had any hot or cold water problems.

8. Our room's carpet had some stains on it. But we never cared about them. If I hadn't read the reviews about the stains on the carpets on traveladvisor.com then I would probably not even noticed them.

9. There was a small fridge in the room which was empty. But we used it a lot for keeping beverages that we bought from the supermarket which is pretty close to the hotel.

9.2. The AC was working with no problems. Even we sometimes had to turn it low 'cause we felt cold during nights.

10. TV had maybe a total of 15 channels, locals mostly, but who cares about the channels when you are there for sun and ocean. We only used it once or twice when we were waiting for the thunderstorm to over in the evening before going out.

11. The hotel has free internet connection, which I couldn't figure out how to connect to. Anyway if you have a laptop with a Wi-Fi card you can acces one of the free hotspots there and surf as long as you want.

12. Queen size bed was pretty comfy.

13. Our sheets and towels were changed every day. We had no problems. But sometimes you have to ask for beach towels, cause they usually don't bring them. Anyway the beach towels are not so new, so you should better bring yours.

14. The pool area is pretty nice. Pool is big enough. There is also a jacuzi which we could never get in, its so hot. The umbrellas, chairs are enough in number.

15. There is a pool bar which sometimes was closed at around 3pm. But it also was sometimes open till 7pm.

16. The breakfast costs $10. We never had it, instead we bought biscuits and drinks for the breakfast from the supermarket.

17. The pool bar has a menu which includes burgers, sandwiches. The prices are around $7-$8.

18. The hotel is so close to the beach.

19. There is also a small lawn near the pool where we played voleyball and I showed my talent in soccer ;)

20. The hallway from one end to other end of the hotel is pretty long. We stayed in the room which is closest to the entrance (street) side. And we walked a long way to the other side where the pool and the beach is located everyday. So make your decision depending on when you want to walk that hallway. In the day time for the pool or the evening just before going out to street.

Some advice: If you are going to go to the beach and thinking about renting an umbrella; we did not pay $10 everyday just for renting the umbrella so we got one for us from Eckerd which is pretty close. When our trip was over we gave it to some other guests :)

Advice 2: If you want to taste cuban food go to Larios Cafe on Ocean Drive and taste Ropa Vieha. It's delicious.

Advice 3: Just for one night try the bar in Delano (hotel that is owned by Madonna). It is very close to Richmond.

Conclusion:
Our trip to South Beach was real cool. We had so much fun. And thanks to Richmond hotel stuff and management we haven't had any problems.

If you need any other info please send me an email.

• Stayed: July 2004
17  Thank Memre