“weekend at the race and the richmond!”
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #127 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
memphis
“weekend at the race and the richmond!”
Reviewed 24 November 2004

well our visit was last weekend 11/19 to 11/21 as we were visiting for the last nascar race,we were alittle concerned prior to checking in ourselves after reading the postings,overall it was just great! no bugs, no stains, the staff were nice as we also had the chance to meet the owner as they were in town. the grounds were just beautiful as well as the beach. yes the rooms needed alittle paint but hey the place was build back in the 40's people, no problem with the a/c oh it was kicking out cold air! we even got our wake up call. heres a few items which did suprise us alittle the tv in the room had no cable only 5 channels not even local, was alittle strange but hey we weren't in the room much, no parking valet only so expect to pay 18.00 a day if your at the richmond, not really sure about the dining as we were not present when it was open will say nomatter where you go in southbeach its gonna be expensive folks, but hey it is southbeach miami! we had a super time at the hotel at the race it was a great weekend! thats my take you all have a great holiday,wish i was there right now!
j.t.
memphis,tn

1 Thank spunky7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 November 2004

Can't believe it took me so long to write a review about this hotel. My wife and I stayed here over the Fourth of July 2003.
First, the walls are paper thin and we could hear everything said and done in the room next door. Second, the staff was uninterested, aloof, and not helpful. Next, the air conditioning did not work well and went out numerous times in the 3 days we were there. It was so bad that we decided to check out and find another hotel. We could not stand another night in the sweltering heat. The staff seemed amused that the air conditioning was out.
I booked the room through a special internet fare with room and tickets. So, when I first contacted the hotel about my concerns immediately after our return home they were not responsive. I inquired about getting some money back because we were forced to find another hotel. They would not do that, but offered me a free two night weekday stay - obviously knowing I would not accept the offer. I contacted them again and got no response.
I would recommend avoiding this hotel. The only thing going for it is the pool and location.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Reviewed 18 November 2004

The hotel in general was clean and Art Deco looking. The staff hardly spoke English and therefore, it was difficult to communicate and to understand if they were brushing off our concerns.

The rooms were clean but small. The bathroom was even smaller with no working room (no place to put toiletries). You basically had to rest your arm on the toilet paper roll and close the toilet to flush it. The shower pressure was awful.

The first room we stayed in was 429 and we could feel the room shaking and could not hear ourselves think. We were told the A/C unit was near that room on the roof. When we asked to move, they moved us to the 1st floor where we could hear people walking by because it was in the main hallway and we could hear people walking above. Very thin walls. Our second room had no A/C control.

The coffee was not good, but the cafe near the pool was ok but overpriced for the quality.

The computer room was accessible and available. $5/hr.

If money management in South Beach is what you are looking for, stay at the Richmond. But, if you can swing it, stay elsewhere.

Reviewed 3 November 2004

I stayed here in late October 2004, here is my experience:

1. Saw 3 COCKROACHES (2 in hallway of 4th floor, 1 in the cafe kitchen) Killed one of the roaches and left it in the hallway to see how long it would stay there...still there when I left 3 days later!!
2. Stains on Carpet and Linens
3. Never refilled Toiletries
4. Woke up every morning with bug bites on my legs...I was never bitten outside of my room
5. There were bugs in my sink EVERY night
6. Asked for a wakeup call each night...didn't receive a single one!!
7. Staff was rude and unfriendly
8. Door fell off of hinges first night
9. Loud music played until 2AM blaring right into my room

AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS. DO NOT STAY HERE.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 October 2004

I just spent a week at the Richmond Hotel and I have to say that the staff was one of the worst I had ever come across. The employees that I dealt with could not perform basic functions and were extremely unpleasant. Not to mention that the hotel is not maintained in anyway- you can't even get to the beach on their walkway without passing through garbage and weeds. Yes- garbage... I could not believe it! It was the only hotel along the beach that looked so bad. I wasted money and time by going to this hotel and even if I was given a free stay, I would not be interested in returning there.

Reviewed 21 October 2004

I stayed at the Richmond Hotel the weekend of (October the 8-11 2004) the service was very good the staff was very friendly, my room was clean and spacious and well air conditioned for Miami's 90 degree temp, i would recommened it to anyone and i will stay there again,if you only plan on being in South Beach forget about renting a car because the Hotel is walking distance to everything ,you pay a hefty parking fee for a car you might only drive one time while on your trip ,and yes the beautiful beach is really right out through the back door of the hotel it's as close as you will get to the Caribean with out leaving the states.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Watford, UK
Reviewed 6 October 2004

A group of us stayed at the Richmond for a couple of days before Hurricane Jeanne drove us away. For the price we paid it was really good. The pool area is especially nice and the people behind the front desk were very helpful in advising us about our options in the face of a 'mandatory evacuation' order. The bedrooms are just about OK so spend your time out and about! Also the hotel backs straight onto the beach!

• Stayed September 2004