“Great Deal, Great Location and POOL!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Richmond Hotel

Richmond Hotel
Ranked #129 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York and Fortaleza, Brazil
“Great Deal, Great Location and POOL!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2005

Had a great time here. We pricelined this hotel and got it for $65 a night during Winter Music Conference last year. We managed to get a room right next to our friends which had an adjacent door. I really liked this hotel. I thought everything was really clean and people were really nice. I don't know why people are saying it's so bad!
I loved the pool area and how close it was to the beach!
I really would have loved to gone down to stay at the Richmond, but we got the Marriott instead!

1 Thank Jesstars

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2005

We're not sure what other reviewers expected from the Richmond but for the price we got -:
- a very well presented room which was clean and comfortable (we had an ocean view room, which is at the back whish was great...tho' not on a sunday...see below)
- a really good location...right on the beach, other hotels and their bars (and you must try the Delano for a cocktail) nearby, and a short walk from ocean drive and the lincoln road mall
- helpful staff - check in and check out in particular were helpful and friendly
- decent facilities - the pool area is well presented

The only thing that made this 3/5 and not higher was the neighbours - if you're there on a saturday or sunday ask to stay well away from the Raleigh's pool area which has the loudest party night in Miami. We complained and were moved to another room without any hesitation.

3 Thank danmar169
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2005

First and foremost dont book this hotel if you are scheduled to arrive in the AM as check in time is 4 PM!!! and you'll be forced to walk around South Beach with your luggage until then!

The pictures on Expedia's webiste are shamelesly deceiving:
Expect a very old building with rusty windows, cracks on the structure and small dirty rooms to match. Found cigarrete burn holes on linens, dirty carpet and out of wack AC. You'll need to use some phonebooks if you'd like to prop the windows open as the hinges dont work. Non stop noise in the room and zero ammenities. Unclean pool and beach areas and a less than impressive dining area.

We checked out immediately upon arrival and lost one whole day of our vacation triying to find another place to stay. Still got charged for one night and had to ask friends to stay over. Luckily Expedia came through the second day and found us a better hotel where we could resume our vacation.

I am surprised this place gets any positive reviews at all!. Either these are generated by their own staff or these guys never got a chance to stay in a proper hotel - or maybe they just got mighty lucky and got the only good room in the place!!!

Its a pity they dont fix this hotel. Its a stone throw from some of the best hotels in the area and they could do so much better if they just
sprang for a much needed renovation.

Stay away from this hotel until then if you'd like to have a decent stay in SOBE. Otherwise, be warned!
Hope this helps!
RD

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Brookfield, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2005

We stayed at the Richmond Dec. 29 to 31, 2004. Room was clean but noisy--could hear everything next door. Room was cold and the desk said the only thing they could do was to send up a heater, which they didn't do. Depleted tissues and no more were provided. No flexibility on check in time--4:00 firm. Only one person working at desk so waited on line to ask about transporation into Miami and the possibility of taking a bus (Calle Ocho and Viscaya). The man said to take a cab--it cost $25. We found a way to take a bus on the way back for $1.25. Advertised high speed cable, but it wasn't working. Wireless downstairs was spotty. Would I stay there again? NO.

2 Thank Dolores T
New York, New YOrk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2004

My boyfriend and I just returned from Miami today and to be honest The Richmond Hotel was by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in, on South Beach. I visit Miami about three times a year and have stayed in many different hotels such as, The Marriot South Beach, The Royal Palms, The Roney Palace and the Park Central. Even though these hotel were great their prices was too high. At the Richmond you get the same service and better for a cheaper. I will admit I was very worried about my stay after reading the reviews on TravelAdvisor.com but after my stay I learned that they were absolutely untrue. Upon arrival my boyfriend and I were greeted by a friendly staff and warm smiles. Our flight got in at 1:30 pm and check in was at 4:30 pm but the lovely lady at the front desk (Judith) pulled some string and got us a room at that moment. We arrived to our room and to my surprise (after reading the prior reviews I wasn't expecting much) it was spotless, the rug was clean no stains at all (actually looked brand new). THis was room 404. The bed was so comfortable that I almost spent half of my vacation sleeping. The A/C was great; the water pressure in the bathroom was great. They also provide you with beautiful bath robe that were great for walking to the pool/ hot tub. There was a bar in the front of the hotel and the bartender was great he made you whatever you wanted. We on ate at the restaurant only for breakfast and the banana pancakes are to die for. Oh yeah, even though I didn’t get into the pool (the weather wasn’t that hot) but the hot tub was the best. Overall the staff is very friendly (did anything to make you happy), the location was more than great right on the beach; the hotel was very clean and maintain well. I love the Richmond hotel and will stay here a million times again. This should be a five star hotel. If you need any more advice please feel free to e-mail me.

• Stayed January 2005
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Mylifeasmj
Alexandria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2004

I recently stayed at the Richmond and was worried because of the poor reviews. I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is in a great location and has friendly staff. They even offer cookies and hot cider. There is a workout room and the pool and spa are very nice. The only down side is that the walls are very thin and u can hear your neighbors(TV, etc). I would reccomend staying here. It is worth the price

2 Thank Samantha C
Hemel Hempstead, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2004

The location of the place is absolutely fantastic - directly on the beach, five minutes walk from Lincoln and 10 from Ocean Drive. Also, the pool and hottub are fantastic - nice to use a pool that is more than 5 feet deep. Art Deco is excellent, but the walls are pretty thin. We also had a room with a view over the pool and the venetian blinds were not exactly in the best condition.

But, got bitten every night, found ants all over the room, and the bathroom couldn't function if two people were in there at the same time!

One member of staff in particular is worth attention - GUS I think his name was, but all others didn't really care. We stayed there during halloween and he really made an effort and could fix margherita's like none I've known before.

Found it weird that you collected pool towels from the kitchens and that the reception staff didn't tell you that if you left from the back to go to the beach that you needed a code to get back in. Ask for it if you stay.

We did have a good time though, the money we saved on staying there meant we could spend more when out and about. After all, with such a great location and weather, you don't actually want to spend too much time in your room after all.

• Stayed October 2004