“Disappointing--gone downhill”

Bentley Hotel South Beach
Ranked #79 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is our 2nd stay at the Bentley on 5th and Ocean Drive. We stayed here in 2009 and were blown away by the service and character of this boutique hotel. The location is fantastic, but we returned despite the high prices (we booked on Expedia for over $200/night, but I now realize you can now rent rooms directly from owners for less in a much nicer suite I feel ripped off).

Our room is tiny (320), and does not even have a place to sit other than one little chair and night table. There is NO safe (I asked, and only some rooms have them--really??!!). The bathroom is half decent with nice Kohler fixtures, but that's it. Beds are a nice firmness.

There is a $25/night plus tax resort fee, but the pool is still under construction (yes you can use the one next door, but it doesn't look nice). We utilized the beach club at the Hilton Bentley once--nice service, but quite a walk down. Also there is continental breakfast (cereal, pastries, apples, granola bars, and a waffle machine was empty when we tried to use it). There is wifi included, too. It is not hard to find this hotel (right above TGIFridays and the Bellini restaurant, where you will be hounded constantly by the Bellini staff to have a meal there--I never eat at a place where I am hounded)

We are a young, professional couple who travel extensively (at least 3x/year) for pleasure, and we are willing to spend money, but we expect a good experience for our money. I feel our experience fell short, and based on the replies from the hotel management and the declining reviews, it looks like they still don't get it. On our next stay on South Beach (we came all the way from Vancouver, BC Canada btw--we obviously love Miami), we will be exploring other options. Management--don't even bother giving us the standard reply here--you had your chance to "wow" us, and it was barely mediocre. Perhaps it was harder for us to stomach since we stayed here previously and it was definitely worth talking about. I echo the reviews below in that this is no longer the place to stay on SoBe.

Extra tips: you can take the Miami Flyer Bus 150 to/from the airport (stops nearby on Washington & 5th) for only $2.60/person (there are luggage racks). The SoBe local bus is only 25cents and loops around Miami Beach up to Lincoln Road and back down. You have to try cuban coffee and food--recommend Los Olas Cafe on 6th. Hiro Sushi Express is great also, and they deliver. My Cervice is another good place to try (you can order online and pickup--it is a hole-in-the-wall. Hope my review was helpful!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lilsquirrel
Lee G, General Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you for your review.

Your request for a non-generic answer is noted and I assure you, you will not get one. I try very hard to touch on, explain, apologize for, and give recognition where it is due in our reviews here. I've read, and re-read your review. Other than a couple of easily fixable mentions, I'm having trouble extrapolating, based on the facts the you have provided, what made your last stay so poor and what makes you certain that based on this last experieince that your next stay (if you would allow me to invite you back) would be just as bad...

I would like to fix this. We are clearly undergoing an enhancement project at Bentley. This project will enhance the stay of all of our future guests. I would like for you to enjoy that experience in the future as well.

I'm available to you any time. lgreenspan@meninhospitality.com

Many Thanks,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

So I read the reviews and picked this place because the reviews sounded good. I am not sure if the hotel just went way down hill... Or if it was always poor. The location is great. Other than that we were just disappointed. The bell boy had no idea where our room was and dragged us with our luggage around the hotel searching for it. The rooms are adversitied as suites but they are not big. The hotel is run down. The service has been poor. We are here for two more days.... So hopefully our experience will improve

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Sarakwan
Lee G, General Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Sarakwan,

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately, it takes a couple of days for reviews to post on Trip Advisor. I would have liked the chance to meet you before check out. Of course I hope things did improve based on your initial experience.
We are undergoing an enhancement project and some areas are more affected than others aesthetically. I apologize if this had a negative impact on your impression of our appearance.

I am available to you if you would like to discuss your experience further. I am interested to know how the remainder of your stay went. Please feel free to contact me directly at lgreenspan@meninhospitality.com

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Bentley Hotel following Ultra. The hotel was great for relaxation, the room are great, the staff is excellent. There was a lot of construction but it did not get in our way. The staff takes care of your every need, the continental breakfat is great. The beach club is amazing you have to check it out , it is nice to get away from the 'sobe' crazies . Definitely coming back

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Benfrnkl
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I started visiting SoBe in 2005 and have always stayed at the Bentley. Even as the prices went up, I returned for the great staff and fabulous pool. They always went out of their way to accommodate early check-ins due to flight arrivals and their used to be a waiter that came to the pool. The last time visited was after our honeymoon in 2009 and it was everything I remembered. We recently went back to stay before a cruise the end of February. I had been emailing with the manager Ignacio. He never mentioned the pool renovation or the hotel overhaul. We knew we would get there early and informed them of this. We got there at about 10am. No worries, our plan was to change and head to the pool. Well the pool was being refurbished and they sent us next door to the Fritz pool. Not the same, not even close. The lounge chairs were stained and they didn't give us towels so I had to go back to the Bentley to get them. We tried to relax in the sun, the pool was more like a hot tub it was so warm. They finally got us in our room at 4:10pm! When we got to the room I noticed that the remodel must have made the rooms SMALLER. Visiting as often as I used to, I have stayed in most of the rooms in the hotel. You could still smell paint and it was gritty on the floor from the grout. There was NO running water. We just wanted to take a shower and a nap being that we had taken a red-eye flight and had been up for a day and a half. We called the desk and they moved us to a different room. We only stayed for the night and I can say that it was too spendy to think of returning. Not sure what it will be like after the remodel, but I was disappointed in what I saw and was upset no one informed us of the pool being out of service. Their continental breakfast was new to us, but not something that should be bragged about. Poor placement and awkward seating. It worked fine to grab something if you were heading out for the day though. With the many choices travelers have, the Bentley should rethink their new overhaul if their property is suffering this much. I miss the old staff and great service and most of all the rooftop pool. I'm sorry I cannot recommend the Bentley any longer.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank effintravelers
Lee G, General Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I apologize for what seems to be several unfortunate and inconvenient situations that occurred during your stay. Clearly we missed the mark with you and this was more dissapointing for you because you have had great experiences here in the past and were excited to return. Your concerns are valid and are being addressed. Bentley is ungoing a thorough refurbishment \ enhancement that will bring the property to it's highest level to date, however, none of this project should affect our current guests.

I will further look into some of what you have detailed, but beyond that, I would like to make it up to you.

If you would consider changing your position and would like to take me on my word that we will deliver next time around, please contact me personally. lgreenspan@meninhospitality.com

I will look forward to hearing from you and am happy to handle all of your arrangements.

Best,

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here March 12 - 17 and found the Bentley to perfect for us, OMG you had to walk through a 20 foot pathway off the pavement to the door (get over it)
On Saturday afternoon I had trouble with my phone so I spoke to the chap at reception who was on the phone at the time so kindly let me use his cell phone to make a call (above and beyond)
Breakfast was fine and dandy, had no problem getting a seat for two on the balcony and the view was cool. Also having to use next doors swimming pool was no biggy,I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, refurb or no refurb. I plan to return next may and look forward to it.
Thanks to Maria also for her help and assistance.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Minty9

Hello Minty9,

Thank you for the excellent review! I'm so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time with us. Yes, we are completing an enhancement project on our pool. It will be finished shortly and we do provide access to our neighboring hotel's rooftop pool facilities. We know that this can be a bit inconvenient. The action plan here is to provide over the top service in order to help make up for any dissapointment regarding our property improvement efforts. Our work is coming to a close and the end result will be well worth any inconvenience caused.

Thank you for visiting and please allow me to handle your next stay. Feel free to contact me directly. lgreenspan@meninhospitality.com

All The Best,

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed at the Bentley, although we booked through VRBO, as the suite we stayed in was privately owned within the hotel. We had a 5th floor, 1 bedroom with a balcony and ocean view overlooking Ocean Drive. There may have been a few minor cosmetic issues and a minor issue with some furnishings, but this is not the forum for that, as it's privately owned. However, I can attest to the great customer service provided by the staff at the front desk, most notably Louis. He was very personable, and quite accommodating as well. Every evening it was a pleasure to stop by and visit. He went out of his way to ensure my family (wife and 19 yo daughter) were enjoying our stay. Likewise, Maria was quite helpful too. The maintenance staff and others were always very pleasant and outgoing. This includes the valet staff as well. That service is an extra cost, a necessary evil if you will, for staying on Ocean Drive. The food and drinks at the attached restaurant were good as well, and that's not just the martinis that were in me talking. They offered 2 for 1 drinks well beyond happy hour. The location of this property is right at the very beginning of the Art Deco hotels on Ocean Drive (5th Street) and is a relatively quite section to stay. This is nice, as you can walk a few short blocks and be at the more "party going" section, think Clevelander's. But this is far enough removed that when you went to crash, you can do so with out having to hear constant bass and yelling from spring breakers. The only downside was that the pool and rooftop veranda is under construction, which was a letdown. We were told this would be completed before we made our reservations, but when it came time for the trip, it had still not been finished. I can say without a doubt though that it ended up not being a huge deal. As a side note, the construction crew did not start abnormally early, which was quite nice as we were located right next to the would be pool. Check out went very smooth, at a very early hour 4:45 am, and again the clerk (sorry I didn't get his name) was quite helpful and polite. This after quite and obviously trying night, which we discussed. He called for my cab, which was arranged the night before by Louis and that went like clockwork. As a last note, if you are looking to stay on South Beach and want to avoid hassle of parking and dealing with heavy traffic, you definitely don't need a car is you stay here. That should factor in as well when choosing to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank uscg1967
Lee G, Hotel Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Hello uscg1967,

Thank you for the glowing review. You mentioned everything from staff to locations in the area to the restaurants, beaches..etc. You also mentioned a couple of items that weren't the highlight of your stay but quickly minimized them as the rest of everything that you experienced completely overshadowed them.I appreciated you mentioning them, regardless of the forum. The reality is, all travellors should recognize that there is no single hotel that will suit all needs and desires.... but. I will tell you this: When you come to Bentley, you can rest assured that we will try.
Some of the superficial shortcomings that you mentioned regarding decor, furniture, etc. are a concern for us and I assure you,they will be very short lived. We are undergoing a thorough and comprehensive restructuring and enhancement project that will effectively place Bentley in a position to fulfill the needs of the most discriminating travellers. While cauteous not to disrupt our current guests, I assure you that we are working as quietly, quickly and efficiently as possible to make this the most repeatedly visited destination in South Beach.
We can't wait to have you back to see you reaction and to get your feedback. By the end of summer 2014, Bentley Hotel will be a premier property in the world's premier vacation destination... and we couldn't do it without the incredible staff.. some of which you mentioned above.
Please feel free to reach out to me in the future. I'm happy to handle everything for you. lgreenspan@meninhospitality.com

Many Thanks, and until next time!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I recently traveled to the Bentley Hotel South Beach for my Bachelorette Party. It was myself plus 4 other girls. We had the Two Bedroom Suite + 1 Other Room booked for our stay. Our second room was not ready until 4:45pm (check in was at 4pm) But we were mostly disappointed that we were never notified about our rooftop pool that was closed due to renovations. This was a key reason why we chose this hotel in the first place. They offered us the use of the Fritz Hotel's pool, which was not good, the water was as hot as soup!

Location of the hotel was great, breakfast is included every morning, but it is very awkwardly set up. The reception area where you check in gets converted to breakfast, so you are practically eating on someone's desk (only 4 small tables to sit on outside) They charge you $25.00 a day for beach passes, lounge chairs, towels, pool access, and breakfast. So you can see why I had an issue at check out about the $25.00/day since we did not have a pool and it was challenging to eat our breakfast on a concierge desk.
Also our Two Bedroom suite sleeps 6 yet we were only allowed 2 lounge chairs and 2 towels a day. How is it that the person who pays the most, gets the least? That being said do you know why I never complained while I was there? Maybe because the GM was never present, actually not true I did see him one day (Monday), but do you know why I never complained? Maria! Maria was the nicest person to work with. She helped us with restaurant recommendations, club recommendations, what to do, and what NOT to do. If she was working at the desk everything was fine, we received extra lounges/towels at the beach, a table to eat breakfast, anything we needed. She deserves a raise! The GM Ignasio (sp?) should really look at how helpful both Maria and Jonathan are to their guests, and really see that they do all the dirty work when a hotel is under construction as they were just last week! GM! Stop trying to be David Beckham and start leading your team to be best Hotel in South Beach. Start with Maria, make her assistant GM because she deserves it! My best advice, call all your booked guests and let them know the pool is closed, offer them discounts, because what you claim you have you temporarily do not ! Maria you made the best out of our trip & I thank you sincerely!

Room Tip: Room 300 for a 2 Bedroom Suit or 310 for a Single Bed
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lisa_CE3066CS
Lee G, Hotel Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Lisa_ CE3066CS,

Thank you very much for such an informative review. My name is Lee Greenspan and I recently came on board as the GM \ Hotel Manager at the Bentley. I'd like to just touch on a couple of points that you mentioned as they are very valid:
You mentioned check in time. You should have been able to check in at 4pm without exception. There is no excuse for this and I apologize that you were inconvenienced immediately upon arrival. I can tell you, however, that I had addressed this previous to your review and made some changes to the housekeeping procedures that should eliminate this issue moving forward.
You also mentioned the resort fee. The resort fee, as you are aware, does cover the continental breakfast, wifi and beach club access with two chairs, towels and an umbrella daily. With that being said, there are occasions where some exceptions may need to be made in light of certain circumstances. You should have been given extra beach club passes without question for the extra 4 people in your party and you should not have had to wait for Maria... especially since our pool is closed for an enhancement project and you booked a room that sleeps 6 people. Again, my apologies, this was another completely avoidable inconvenience and we would love the opportunity to make it up to you.
You also mentioned the breakfast selection and set up. While at the moment we have a smaller space to work with while in the midst of our enhancement project, we have decided to make some significant changes regardless. We have added a larger selection of cereals and fruits as well as greek yogurts, pastries and waffles. We'll also be reconfiguring the furniture setup so as to provide a more comfortable dining experience.
Feedback like yours is invaluable to improving customer service. In addition, it highlights individuals that provide amazing service. I have printed this and given it to Maria, and I have to agree with you, she certainly deserves the recognition.
As I mentioned, I am the Hotel Manager at Bentley now and I am always available to you. Please contact me directly in the future. I would be grateful for the opportunity to host you once more in order to provide a true Bentley experience for you and yours.

All The Best,