“Just OK”

Ranked #99 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Brussels
“Just OK”
Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in St.Augustine end of april 2013. The hotel is located within walking distance of ocean drive but you don't have the noise that you have on ocean drive (especially in the evening and during the night). The rooms are just OK. Nothing special. Lots of noise coming from the hallway. Beds are located against the wall which means you can hear (and feel) people in the next room fooling around. Our room did not have any view, windows could not be opened. Airconditioning is impossibly NOISY. Also disappointing was the continental breakfast which consisted of some sugarry croissants, cereal and yoghurt. I don't think some hotels know what a continental breakfast means. Some toast is the minimum and not that complicated. We are doing a tour of florida, our trip started off in Miami and it ends in Miami. We will look for something else for the last 2 nights. I would rate St Augustine just below average.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
West Midlands, UK
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My partner and I spent 4 nights at the hotel during our recent visit to Florida. Having stayed at various hotels incl Islander Resort at the Keys during our trip we were looking forward to some Art Deco style in Miami. The tripadvisor reviews were suggesting a home from home though not sure I would agree with that:
+ points:
The hotel was easy to find and the parking in front made it easy to unload the car. Michael who was on desk duty was very friendly helping us with our luggage and though we were a bit early for check in he quickly made sure our room was ready. We also received good service on departing with the hotel organising our taxi and helping us with our luggage. The room size is adequate and the beds comfortable. But this is all there is.

- points:
The door leading from the lobby to the corridor of which the guest rooms are leading off was supposed to be automatic but was broken. This resulted in the door only to open half way and with a lot of strain. It took 2 days to fix it. The door and corridor look like they have had a hard life - scuffed and tired. One evening there were even empty yogurt pots on the fire extinguisher box.

As encountered on a number of occasions there is no separate bathroom but an open wet area of which the toilet and shower lead off. While the double bed rooms feature a curtain between the bedroom and the wet area our king room did not. Not sure if privacy and the ability to block out the light from the window in the shower is not considered important for king rooms?!
The shower is classed luxurious but the overhead shower head was not working upon arrival, leaving us to contort in all sorts to wash our hair using the 3 side shower heads. The grouting is rough underfoot and the drain slow, and smelly! The glass shower door was covered in scum marks and difficult to open.

The aircon unit had created a large puddle of water on the floor and the toilet, once flushed would not fully stop resulting in the cistern filling up noisily every 15 min. I reported this to the desk but was told that it had to be looked at in the morning. The shower head was fixed the following day. Though we kept having issues with the toilet which even flooded one even leaving dirty water leaking onto the bedroom carpet. When reported to the night porter we were handed a plunger and some towels to sort it out ourselves, but not before having been accused of having flushed something down that we shouldn't have - which we certainly didn't! During our 4 night stay we only received additional shower gel / shampoo after 3 nights. We would have rationed the amount we used had we known we had to make do with the little bottles we found on day 1.

The windows might be noise cancelling but that does not guarantee a silent night. If you happen to be close to the ice machine / house keeping cupboard in the corridor prepare yourself! The walls are thin and you can hear every conversation that takes place in the corridor, the housekeeping staff moving their equipment etc.

The hotel states they have concierge service, though hardly a service if the majority of desk staff is not speaking English well. When we wanted a recommendation for a Chinese restaurant we eventually were provided with a suggestion in the neighbourhood - only to find out that the restaurant closed down 2 months ago. Lucky we googled it before we set off.

There is a lot of reference to Europe in the hotel brochure, though I wouldn't class not having a hospitality tray in the room very European. Having to go to the lobby to get a cup of coffee in the morning wearing the one bathrobe provided for 2 people to share is not my ideal for a good start to the day...

Disappointing finale to an otherwise enjoyable trip to Florida.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank beasck
James W, Manager at Hotel St. Augustine, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Firstly, I must apologize for your toilet situation which should have been handled with greater delicacy , and obviously tainted your opinion of us here at the Hotel St Augustine.
I would like to have the opportunity of discussing your issues with you directly , by e-mail or phone , so that we might address them and in some way remedy them and turn around your opinion of our guest service.
We take seriously all of our guest comments and appreciate constructive criticism ,in an effort
to maintain high standards of guest service , and improve our handling of situations such as the one you mentioned.
Thank-you for your review and I look forward to discussing the issues you mentioned in person.
Gold Coast
Reviewed 24 April 2013 via mobile

This Hotel could get 5 stars if it wasn't for the noisy air conditioners. By Noisy I mean, wake you up in the middle of the night noisy. We stayed on the 2nd level in a queen room for 1 night and the air con sounded like a helicopter hovering outside and we later had 2 nights on the ground floor. The air con wasn't continually noisy but when it cut in and out it was louder than the TV. On a positive note:
Staff exceptionally helpful and friendly
Taxi $33 from hotel to airport and about 15-20 drive (could be longer depending on traffic)
Breakfast - what more cold you want, coffee/tea/juice, cereal and delicious, fresh pastries. Starts at 8am so if you have early flights like we did we couldn't take advantage of it.
Location: On Washington Ave, 2 blocks from beach, Deco bike station across road (bike hire available from $3 for 30mins), lots of restaurants and shopping near by. Lincoln Road Mall 20min walk of $6 in a taxi.
This is an Art Deco building so don't expect flashy new. It's a 2 story walk up so if you have heaps of luggage a ground floor room would be best.
Parking; $20 per day, had no problems with security although it does have a weird entrance and is just a sandy lot, but worked for us.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
James W, Manager at Hotel St. Augustine, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Thank-you for for your very positive review were it not for the air conditioner. Our air conditioners
are very powerful which our guests appreciate in the hot summer months but we are addressing
the issues of the noise and hope that you will return to the Hotel so we can meet your 5 star
expectations.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 days. My impressions and facts at that time are below.

-when I check in, front person didnt accomodate and hold me as long as 5 min. I was terribly tired after 20 h travel

-dark room. guest room has normal size window and it was totally covered with huge leaves(maybe palm) making the room extremely dark during daytime.

-thin wall. I could hear someone talking in the next door like he is in my room.

-noisy airconditioner. Its noise was like bulldozer or jet airplane. it repeatedly starts and cease during all day or the room temperature soon reach 100F degree. no choise.it should be replaced soon.

-tiny bowl. the bowl at lavatory is extremely tiny and I saw such a small one for the first time. almost all portion of it was covered by bibcock. I was forced to splash water around it every time I wash my hand or face. It seemed to be mis design.

-small TV. no worth to watch.

-Insects. I left a can on the desk and I found it gathed by troop of ants.

-Nice breakfast. breakfast and coffee were good.

-quiet place. I could releave stress as it is located at quite quiet place although it is along Washington Ave. This doesn't mean that I could well sleep because of bulldozer airconditioner.

-terrible parking. parking entrance has terriblly low clearance, hard to notice. parking is unpaved but sand so everytime I rode my car, every time I bring sand with my shoes making it dirty.

-awful price. over priced it must be no more than 200/day. Its place may makes it very expensive but it must be over priced.

In general it was not so bad place to stay for only a few days in case I have no choise to stay at Miami Beach and I will be refunded by company all stay bill. this is my personal impression and for personal log for me. this does not intend someone else to use or not to use this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MasamiH
Blackwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I've reviewed Hotel St Augustine before and raved about it. Quite often when you return to a place or recreate an experience it just doesn't quite work. In my experience - three times now I have returned to St Augustine with my wife - it has worked. We have stayed there on four occasions and never been disappointed. The staff are first class and on our last visit ensured we had more than we expected. You can be hyper critical and pick minor faults with anything in any service industry but for me Hotel St Augustine rocks for us. We stayed there for two weeks solid on this last visit but in the past we've used it as a stop off before travelling to the Keys and Sanibel. I am a value for money type of guy and this hotel represents great value for your dollar in Miami Beach - going back for a fifth time - you bet!

Room Tip: If you need assistance with stairs ask for a ground floor room - there are no elevators.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Belize
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We booked with this hotel for a weekend in South Beach. It was the best priced room we could find. Upon our arrival they apologized for not having our room available as an existing guest had extended their saty. They made arrangements for me to stay at Harrison's, a hotel next door. Not only was the substitute hotel nearby, it was less costly. Furthermore, St. Augustine agreed to waive their parking fee and also to match the lower rate of the substitute hotel for our second night with them. I thought that was pretty good customer service. The room was decent and quite adequate for a family of four. The hotel was located at the south end of Washington Ave just far enough away from the noise and action, yet close enough to walk to the action and restaurants. I actually liked the location as you could begin your walk at the beginning of Collins avenue and then walk down Ocean Drive and back home to the hotel. A full circuit of all the South Beach sights.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Silver Lake Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We read up on hotels in the area and did not want to spend a lot of money for a one night stay on our way back from Key West. Hotel was booked and paid for in advance which helped us secure a great price in comparison to what is out there in the popular Collins Drive hotels. We were greeted cheerfully with nice conversation and allowed to check in early since our room was ready which was very nice. Staff very friendly from those we came in contact with; all greeted us and said "Welcome."

The room was spacious enough for two and decorated in a blonde or teak wood and quite modern. My husband felt he was back in a studio apartment in Europe. The bed was GREAT to sleep on along with comfortable pillows...an issue I always have with hotels...these were very good!!! Everything is ready for you as far as grooming supplies and there is a lovely steam shower too...HUGE!!!

We were given many suggestions for restaurants, things to do, how to get to the beach, etc. etc. etc. VERY HELPFUL STAFF! We felt safe and were able to walk from one end of the busy strip to the other all day and night with NO issues of feeling unsafe at all. Had a great time just people watching and enjoying the night life late, late into the evening. Got our excercise in and slept like babies...HATED TO LEAVE! We will be back for a much longer stay!

Room Tip: Quiet hotel from all the traffic and a BARGAIN since they have free parking! RARE for any hotel in t...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pam W
James W, Manager at Hotel St. Augustine, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank-you for your kind comments , everyone at the hotel appreciates them. We try to be a
good bargain and offer value for money and I am glad that you received free parking but our parking is actually $20 per night - still one of the best deals on South Beach.
We look forward to your return.