“Good hotel, brilliant Ricardo at the reception!”

Hotel St. Augustine
Ranked #110 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I have stayed in the hotel for 2 nights. The hotel itself is good. I wouldn't say its luxury, its just a normal for good price. Value for money. Breakfast is poor - cornflakes with milk, yoghurts, juice, coffee. If a person like me likes meat etc - you have a chance to eat it at restaurants.
But, the most important thing is the stuff. Ricardo, the man at reception, was the best ever receptionist I saw in my life! He was so much helpful, that any hotel minuses disappear. Very helpful - with tours, transportation, just to talk, very intelligent and helped us a lot. I think I will miss that guy. Ricardo - if you read it - thak you very very much! And welcome to Ukraine, you will always be my guest, any time! All in all, I will keep very positive impressions about people in this hotel.

Room Tip: The room i stayed was rather for a couple than for like me and mother. Glass door to the bathroom ma...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed at the St. Augustine hotel for the first time last week (May 2013) for 4 nights and would definitely stay again and again!! The staff is very friendly, professional, and accommodating. We totally enjoyed talking to Ricky and appreciated all of his recommendations. Norma at the breakfast bar is a doll. The cleaning staff is very friendly.

Continental breakfast was included which was a big plus - fast and convenient. The only thing missing was the fresh fruit. But what was served was fresh, tasty, and fulfilling. We took our breakfast out on the front patio and ate al fresco each morning which was refreshing.

The location is great. Right in town, walking distance to the beach, away from the noisy strip, and right near the local bus.

The room was spacious, the bed very comfortable, and the shower powerful and roomy. The AC unit was loud when it came on but I've never stayed in a hotel where it wasn't. So no big problem. The only thing I would suggest would be better pillows - but that might just be a personal preference. I usually travel with my pillow but couldn't this time.

We had an early flight home and getting a taxi to the airport at 4:30 am was a breeze. Waited 2 minutes for the taxi.

We met such a sweet couple one afternoon just sitting on the front patio. There was music playing and we shared a glass of wine and got to know a little about each other. Very relaxing - a big plus. The price we paid per night was so very worth it. The front desk even provided bug spray when the bugs started biting;)

Great place, great staff, well worth the price, highly recommend it, and will stay here again!! Thanks for taking care of us!!

Room Tip: No elevator so if you have lots of luggage stay on the first floor. But it's only two floors (on...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

So Ill start off by saying I'm not a fan of Miami Beach but I am a fan of this hotel. Miami can be expensive for a hotel on Ocean Drive which ladies and gents isn't worth the money. This little gem doesn't have a pool but they make up for it in circular rooms. Amazing hot spa showers and closeness to the actual beach. It's literally a hop skip and a jump from the beach and Collins. The hotel is located on Washington but in the nice and quiet area. I didn't hear a peep staying their. Unlike other hotel rooms where I had to leave the tv on full blast to be able to ignore the role playing games going on in the next room. This hotel is great and the staff are awesomely gay and super friendly and always on point with whatever you need. I wish we would have stayed their on our last night but ended up (our choice) at the Townhouse on Collins. What a terrible decision. But I suggest getting your but to church and stay at the St Augustine

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This is the place you want to stay in Miami Beach! From the time you walk in, the staff are courteous and extremely helpful. James and Ricardo were always keen to provide advice, offer great spots to eat and grab drinks, and tourist traps to avoid. The hotel is very accommodating, and the staff are great overall.

The rooms are a good size, with a great sized shower. The place is clean, and the cleaning staff are great. The location is also great as it's near Ocean Dr. and the south end of SoBe.

Thank you Hotel St. Augustine!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We stayed 2 nights in St.Augustine end of april 2013. The hotel is located within walking distance of ocean drive but you don't have the noise that you have on ocean drive (especially in the evening and during the night). The rooms are just OK. Nothing special. Lots of noise coming from the hallway. Beds are located against the wall which means you can hear (and feel) people in the next room fooling around. Our room did not have any view, windows could not be opened. Airconditioning is impossibly NOISY. Also disappointing was the continental breakfast which consisted of some sugarry croissants, cereal and yoghurt. I don't think some hotels know what a continental breakfast means. Some toast is the minimum and not that complicated. We are doing a tour of florida, our trip started off in Miami and it ends in Miami. We will look for something else for the last 2 nights. I would rate St Augustine just below average.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My partner and I spent 4 nights at the hotel during our recent visit to Florida. Having stayed at various hotels incl Islander Resort at the Keys during our trip we were looking forward to some Art Deco style in Miami. The tripadvisor reviews were suggesting a home from home though not sure I would agree with that:
+ points:
The hotel was easy to find and the parking in front made it easy to unload the car. Michael who was on desk duty was very friendly helping us with our luggage and though we were a bit early for check in he quickly made sure our room was ready. We also received good service on departing with the hotel organising our taxi and helping us with our luggage. The room size is adequate and the beds comfortable. But this is all there is.

- points:
The door leading from the lobby to the corridor of which the guest rooms are leading off was supposed to be automatic but was broken. This resulted in the door only to open half way and with a lot of strain. It took 2 days to fix it. The door and corridor look like they have had a hard life - scuffed and tired. One evening there were even empty yogurt pots on the fire extinguisher box.

As encountered on a number of occasions there is no separate bathroom but an open wet area of which the toilet and shower lead off. While the double bed rooms feature a curtain between the bedroom and the wet area our king room did not. Not sure if privacy and the ability to block out the light from the window in the shower is not considered important for king rooms?!
The shower is classed luxurious but the overhead shower head was not working upon arrival, leaving us to contort in all sorts to wash our hair using the 3 side shower heads. The grouting is rough underfoot and the drain slow, and smelly! The glass shower door was covered in scum marks and difficult to open.

The aircon unit had created a large puddle of water on the floor and the toilet, once flushed would not fully stop resulting in the cistern filling up noisily every 15 min. I reported this to the desk but was told that it had to be looked at in the morning. The shower head was fixed the following day. Though we kept having issues with the toilet which even flooded one even leaving dirty water leaking onto the bedroom carpet. When reported to the night porter we were handed a plunger and some towels to sort it out ourselves, but not before having been accused of having flushed something down that we shouldn't have - which we certainly didn't! During our 4 night stay we only received additional shower gel / shampoo after 3 nights. We would have rationed the amount we used had we known we had to make do with the little bottles we found on day 1.

The windows might be noise cancelling but that does not guarantee a silent night. If you happen to be close to the ice machine / house keeping cupboard in the corridor prepare yourself! The walls are thin and you can hear every conversation that takes place in the corridor, the housekeeping staff moving their equipment etc.

The hotel states they have concierge service, though hardly a service if the majority of desk staff is not speaking English well. When we wanted a recommendation for a Chinese restaurant we eventually were provided with a suggestion in the neighbourhood - only to find out that the restaurant closed down 2 months ago. Lucky we googled it before we set off.

There is a lot of reference to Europe in the hotel brochure, though I wouldn't class not having a hospitality tray in the room very European. Having to go to the lobby to get a cup of coffee in the morning wearing the one bathrobe provided for 2 people to share is not my ideal for a good start to the day...

Disappointing finale to an otherwise enjoyable trip to Florida.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank beasck
James W, Manager at Hotel St. Augustine, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Firstly, I must apologize for your toilet situation which should have been handled with greater delicacy , and obviously tainted your opinion of us here at the Hotel St Augustine.
I would like to have the opportunity of discussing your issues with you directly , by e-mail or phone , so that we might address them and in some way remedy them and turn around your opinion of our guest service.
We take seriously all of our guest comments and appreciate constructive criticism ,in an effort
to maintain high standards of guest service , and improve our handling of situations such as the one you mentioned.
Thank-you for your review and I look forward to discussing the issues you mentioned in person.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

This Hotel could get 5 stars if it wasn't for the noisy air conditioners. By Noisy I mean, wake you up in the middle of the night noisy. We stayed on the 2nd level in a queen room for 1 night and the air con sounded like a helicopter hovering outside and we later had 2 nights on the ground floor. The air con wasn't continually noisy but when it cut in and out it was louder than the TV. On a positive note:
Staff exceptionally helpful and friendly
Taxi $33 from hotel to airport and about 15-20 drive (could be longer depending on traffic)
Breakfast - what more cold you want, coffee/tea/juice, cereal and delicious, fresh pastries. Starts at 8am so if you have early flights like we did we couldn't take advantage of it.
Location: On Washington Ave, 2 blocks from beach, Deco bike station across road (bike hire available from $3 for 30mins), lots of restaurants and shopping near by. Lincoln Road Mall 20min walk of $6 in a taxi.
This is an Art Deco building so don't expect flashy new. It's a 2 story walk up so if you have heaps of luggage a ground floor room would be best.
Parking; $20 per day, had no problems with security although it does have a weird entrance and is just a sandy lot, but worked for us.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank-you for for your very positive review were it not for the air conditioner. Our air conditioners
are very powerful which our guests appreciate in the hot summer months but we are addressing
the issues of the noise and hope that you will return to the Hotel so we can meet your 5 star
expectations.