“The good, the bad and the ugly............”

The President Hotel - Miami Beach
Ranked #104 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“The good, the bad and the ugly............”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

How did they manage to do it? Our room 102 had noise coming from all six sides! Six?

1. The wall closest to the lobby had a LOUD, grating, metal on metal, screeching sound! I awoke the next morning looking like a zombie and asked the front desk lady if it was the elevator. She said yes matter of factly and offered no explanation. The elevator had an expired permit. Perhaps it was time for an inspection or repair. It's a bad sign when you need to nap on the beach for quality sleep.

2. The wall facing the long hallway offered us the constant bang of the door as guests walked in and out of this "special" part of the hotel.

3. The wall facing the adjoining room offered us the sounds and activities of guests next door. It sounded like they were packing around 1am. We heard crackling plastic bags and luggage being moved about.

4. The wall facing the pool had an ice maker right outside our window. This ice machine would spit out ice cubes on a regular basis which sounded like a bowling alley as ice cubes tumbled down the chute.

5. The ceiling provided us with loud footsteps from the room above.

6. The bed mattresses were wrapped in cheap plastic protectors which provided us with the great sounds of squishing each time we move on our bed. It sounded like a water bed without the water.

We were up extra early because of our multidimensional sound experience. The good thing about this unfortunate night was that we snagged the last decent piece of danish ever to be seen. The next mornings' breakfasts involved pieces of toast and cereal. Classy.........

We moved to a better room the next night. There was still a rumble of the obviously troubled elevator but it was much more subdued. Thanks soo much. Whatever......

Pool was small but that's not the problem. The problem was the dirt from leaves that seemed to collect there with no one in sight to clean them up. Another issue was the shower head next to the pool which never stopped dripping. It seemed to have a sweet spot to make it stop but we tried but couldn't find it. The accumulating water had no drain to go to. Puddles would appear with nowhere to go.

It seems The President Hotel's operating philosophy involves getting guests in and out, with no hopes for return visits. Their clientele was mostly international tourists on a budget with low possibility of return business. Don't expect much from the hotel staff. They are not hospitality trained.

Resort fee includes skimpy breakfast, sugary cocktails and threadbare beach towels.

I had stayed at this hotel a few years back and things weren't as dire. At that time, they were part of Epoque Hotels. It seems they are no longer affiliated with that group. Maybe Epoque requires standards which are no longer met.

The location and price are good but we'd rather pay more for a better experience. Their sister hotel The Penguin was involved in a Hotel Hell type show. It's The President's turn for an extreme makeover.

The owner should live in Room 102 for a month and see what it's really like.

Room Tip: Pick a room that's not at The President Hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at The President Hotel - Miami Beach, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you for your review. Although it sounds like you were happy with the location and value of the hotel, we are disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not what you had hoped. We apologize for the noise issues you faced in your first guestroom and are so sorry they kept you from a good night's sleep. We are happy, however, that our staff helped to accommodate you with another room. We appreciate you letting us know about the problems you found with our pool and courtyard and will certainly alert our staff. We thank you again for your helpful feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We originally reserved a room with 2 beds. From the moment we checked in, they told us we had an upgrade to a "penthouse". There were 3 of us, so hey had the nerve to charge us an extra person fee/ day the entire stay. I managed 2 hotels and we never charged for 3 people who reserved a 2 bed, that's jut finding a way to suck out money from tourist. Then this "penthouse" in a 4 story hotel was horrible, it felt like we were in prison. Looking over a rooftop, the windows were high and the room just felt cold and dead. Most of all, it had 1 bed. We were there early and asked to be put in our original request for a room, they ignored us all day only to call at 9pm to tell us we couldn't move. Thy had us take our bags down at 11am the next day and wait till 430pm for a 2 bed. (Checking is at 3).

Then throughout our stay they had horrible service, no communication, our hairdryer broke in the first room and no one came to fix it. The power was out for hours, the phone didn't work in be 2nd room. The bathroom is small and gross. Room is 2 star status. And it's expensive here. Horrible place, there are better places in South Beach for your money. I'm never staying here again, and would never recommend it to anyone. The pictures online are deceiving.

Room Tip: No room is good here
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LaiRo14
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at The President Hotel - Miami Beach, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not what you had hoped and we are very sorry for the issues you faced, being moved into the penthouse and then having to wait for your original guestroom. We will certainly discuss this with our staff, so to avoid this ever happening again in the future. If you'd like to discuss this further, please contact our General Manager, Veronica Superno, at vsuperno@presidenthotel.com.

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The hotel location is great. You are a block from the beach and you have a paved path next to the hotel directly to the beach. On the other side you are a block away from Espanola Way and good little restaurants.
Don't expect luxury here but not a dump. Rooms are small but have everything you need. They did a great job on the lay out of the rooms. The pool is small so do not expect to do laps.
Franco the valet is awesome!
Free continental breakfest.

• Stayed May 2013
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at The President Hotel - Miami Beach, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Thank you for your review. We are happy that you were pleased with the location of the hotel and the convenient walk to the beach, as well as the nearby restaurants. It's great to hear you were happy with your guestroom and that it had everything you needed for a comfortable stay. We will also be sure to tell Franco that you thought so highly of him. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you in the future.
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

The lobby and hallways of this hotel are a little shabby and I must admit I opened my room with some trepidation. However I was very pleasantly surprised by the nice decor, cleanliness and reasonable size of the room, especially considering the price, which was good.

It's also in a great location, at the north end of Ocean Drive, which is the main tourist drag. The breakfast was a decent self-service type - there was bread, cereal, fruit, tea/coffee and OJ.

They have complimentary beach towels for their guests to borrow and there's free WiFi access, although the bandwidth wasn't anything to write home about.

The only downsides were a noisy lift which my room was next to and an odd plumbing set up in the shower: there were two levers and two shower heads. Both levers turned on both shower heads at various positions but neither seemed to change the temperature, which was always cold! Certainty woke me up in the morning :)

• Stayed April 2013
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at The President Hotel - Miami Beach, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Hello, Chris. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. We are happy that you were pleased with the décor and cleanliness of your guestroom, as well as the location of our hotel. We are also glad that you enjoyed your breakfast with us. We are disappointed that the upkeep of our lobby and hallways wasn't what you had expected and we do apologize for the noise issues you faced with the elevator. We thank you again for your review. We hope you got home safely and hope to see you again in the future.
Towson, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2013

My friends and I traveled to Miami from MD to go to Ultra Music Festival in March. We searched for the most affordable place right next to the beach and found this hotel. Before we had arrived, knowing this was one of the most affordable places on the beach, I did not expect much out of the hotel or its staff. What a terrible assumption. From the second I got out of my car, to the very second we left, I have never received customer service like this in my life. The first person to help was was Fuad Faris whose job title I guess would be bellman but he was far from it. He took care of everything for us right away after our long 18hr drive with a smile on his face the whole time. Right away I was impressed but it didn't end here. Any question we had ever asked this man, he would provide an answer right away and set us up with whatever we needed ASAP. Even when we just came down to the lobby to chill, every single time he asked us what we needed and when we said nothing he would always reply with Im sure there is something you all need, what can I do for you. Fuad will always go down as the best hotel employee Ive ever had to deal with and really sold the trip for me. Without him I would not of nearly had as great of a time as I did. Management needs to hire more of its employees like Fuad

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at The President Hotel - Miami Beach, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Hello, Doug. We are thrilled to hear you had such a nice stay with us, especially due to the service you received from our staff member, Fuad. We take great pride in our customer service, so we are so happy to hear that Fuad was so helpful and attentive to you. We have passed your kind remarks onto Fuad, and we are sure he greatly appreciates it. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you in the future.
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We just returned from our 4 night stay at the President Hotel in South Beach. Before booking this hotel I read many reviews right here on Trip Advisor and got great information so I knew exactly what to expect and what I was getting into when I made our reservation. For the best experience in this hotel it is important to know what to expect when you arrive.

THE GOOD

1. EXCELLENT LOCATION
From the back entrance of the hotel you are only 1/2 a block from the beach (2 min. walk)
From the front entrance you are close to some of the best places to eat, cute shops, clubs, Espanola Way, and Ocean Drive. Liquor stores, small grocery stores, and more are right outside the front door or withing a block of walking.

2. EXCELLENT STAFF
Super friendly and helpful. They met every request we had. Don't be afraid to ask. They will do all they can to help.

3. FREE BREAKFAST DAILY
This is a cold breakfast. Know that going in. Toast, danish, cereal, juice, fruit and coffee.

4. FREE DRINKS DAILY
This is from 5pm - 8pm, bring your voucher and enjoy a drink on the patio over-looking Collins Ave and people watch before heading out for dinner.

5. FREE BEACH TOWELS
There are two in your room, but you can ask for more at the front desk. Just be sure to return them.

6. POOL
If a pool is a must for you, then you will be disappointed as they do have a pool but it is small as the hotel was built in the late 1930's. You are 1/2 a block from the beach - forget the pool and go enjoy the Atlantic.

7. VALET AVAILABLE
Valet parking is available for $30 per day. There is a public lot a few blocks away for $25 a day or you can pay the meter ($1.75 per hour). Allow 15-20 minutes for your car to be brought around. Just call down and they will have it ready for you.

8. SUPER CLEAN
For the age of the hotel it is very clean. Rooms and bathroom were spotless and housekeeping did a fine job of cleaning everyday.

9. LARGE SHOWERS
Big showers with removable shower head and rain shower. Nice.

10. GREAT VALUE
Compared to other hotels in the same location - the price was right.

THE BAD (not really that bad)

1. NO COFFEE MAKERS IN ROOMS
I missed this the most, as we often slept in after breakfast was over.

2. UNCOMFORTABLE BEDS
The beds, after the 2nd night started to give us both pains and "pressure spots" from the springs. These really need to be upgraded. The bed is my most serious complaint of the hotel - after all, they are in the business of providing a place to sleep. If the beds were better I'd have given this a 5 star rating. Waking up with sore hips is never a good thing. I knew the beds were reviewed as poor going in, so I wasn't shocked when I woke up with some aches and pains.

3. THIN WALLS
Again, it's an old building, so the walls are thin. We asked for a room at the end of the hall to minimize noise from both sides and foot traffic down the hall. We had no issue with noise during our stay and felt free to make love without fear of others hearing us (some reviewers said they didn't feel like they could).

4. NEED MORE STORAGE IN BATHROOM
As a woman I wish there were some hooks or another shelf where I could have spread out my make-up and other items. Instead I had to use and repack them into my make-up back each day.

We would stay there again. Though I would run up to Target over the causeway to grab a cheap "egg crate" to put on the mattress. The extra effort is worth it to me - due to the stunning location and friendly staff. Location for us was everything and the spot the hotel is in is prime. If you are expecting a luxury experience, stay elsewhere and pay for it. Photos from the hotel are accurate of what the rooms look like.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor, near the end of the hall and a newer mattress.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leah D
Dana P, Public Relations Manager at The President Hotel - Miami Beach, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Hello, Leah. We appreciate that you took the time to write such a helpful and informative review of our hotel. We are certainly happy to hear you enjoyed your overall experience with us and that you were so pleased with our location, as well as the cleanliness of your guestroom and the service you received from our staff. We are glad you took the time to inquire about our added amenities, and we are happy that our staff could accommodate your needs. We apologize for the noise level in your guestroom and issues with your bed, and especially for your disappointment in the lack of a coffee maker in your guestroom. We are happy you brought these points to our attention and, again, we thank you for your review. We hope to see you in the future!
Thornwood
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We booked this hotel considering some of the reviews posted . The only thing it has going for it is the location. .Checking in was in-personal and robotic. Dirty hallways, bad beds and the noise was terrible. There was this smell in our room too Not sure what it was, humidity mixed with dirty socks.? There was a roach and some smaller bugs in our bathroom . The place looked like an old government apartment building. I do not recommend and highly doubt some of these "excellent reviews"

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Hello, Ollie. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts about your recent stay with us. Although we are happy that you liked the location of the hotel, we are sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the cleanliness and noise level of your guestroom and the comfort of your bed. We also apologize that you were not happy with the service from our staff and we will be sure to discuss this with them. Thank you again for your helpful feedback.