“Superb hotel... Small double beds”

The Redbury South Beach
Ranked #22 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last night and booked a twin double room as there were me, my wife and our son. The double beds are not doubles... They are 3/4 doubles. There was also only one pillow on each bed so I think they are normally twin single rooms. I complained to reception and they moved us to Queen bed rooms, so all was good!

The receptionist was very helpful and the location is wonderful. There is a rooftop plunge pool (only 4 ft deep) and the location is literally 100m from the beach if that...

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are staying in miami :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PhattBloke
SBE L, General Manager at The Redbury South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Phattbloke,

It is pleasing to hear that our Front Office was able to resolve the issue with you double room so quickly and efficiently, and I apologize for the confusion upon booking. Thank you for choosing the Redbury South Beach as your vacation destination. We look forward to a return visit from your family!

Sicnerely,

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,300)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed a few nights at the Redbury in early June. The room was small, but very cute. I like the decor and little touches, such as an old vinyl player on the desk.
The bathrooom is of good size and also the closet space is great.
The staff at Reception was always very friendly and helped make different dinner reservations.
Upon arrival I was a bit surprized that the entrance is either on a side street where the valet is, without any clear indication (even the cabby didn't know exactly where the entrance was), or you have to walk through the restaurant on Collins Avenue, which I find a bit less appealing.
I was quite disappointed with their breakfast. They do not serve hot breakfast before 9am. I understand that this is a leisure destination and most people will sleep in, but I expect a hot breakfast - even if only in a reduced form - to be available at a 4 star hotel also before 9am.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Simo79CC14,

I am pleased and proud to know that our team was helpful throughout your stay. Our hosts know this city very well and are great recommending the hot spots and cool places to dine. I will admit our entrance is a bit different from many hotels in South Beach, and unfortunately having been open less than a year our property is not as well known to many of the cab drivers in the area just yet. We are working on ways to improve all the time and appreciate the feedback. I will also be sure to pass your comments to Lorenzo about the breakfast. I hope you will join us again for your next trip to Miami so that you may enjoy the improvements that we will be making.

Florenica Gariboldi

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights last week at the Redbury based on the reviews, location and size of the rooms. The staff was very friendly from reservations to checkout. They were able to accommodate our preference for two adjacent rooms and were ready to suggest places to eat or visit. Everything was very clean and new, the beds were really comfortable, the shower was awesome, robes were a nice touch, the A/C was very cool if you need it to be. The rooms are not huge but OK based on what I read about other hotels (we had two rooms--a double and a king, the king had a double-vanity but the double had a single vanity) and we got a pretty decent deal, although after all fees--still a bit pricey for low season. The plus is that you get access to the sister properties (the Raleigh pool and beach, or the SLS fitness center) which are both across the street. The rooftop pool was small but it was nice and quiet and clean and always had a fresh supply of clean plush towels and citrus-infused water available. The pool lounge chairs were comfy and there is a nice sitting/lounging area as well on the roof. There are no ice machines so you need to call for ice which arrives quickly. I ordered coffee from the lobby restaurant each morning (Lorenzo's) because the nearest expresso bar is about 4 blocks away (you can walk up to order or order room service for a few dollars extra). The gelato was yummy. Location was good for shopping, restaurants, other hotels--the beach is a block away and Ocean Drive is about a 10-15 minute walk. There's a large 24-hr drugstore a block and a half away where you can get anything you need.

One negative thing is that there is no "grand" entrance. When our cab dropped us off we were staring at the entrance to Lorenzo's restaurant and realized you had to walk through it to get to the desk or walk around the corner to the side street where the valet was located to enter the hotel. So if you don't mind low-key this is not a big deal, but the other flashier hotels have "grand" entrances with long circular driveways which I personally did not miss for the price we paid here.

Overall a good experience for a forty-something looking to relax.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Kerokaren,

Thank you for such a nice review! We are happy to read that you had a nice stay and were able to enjoy our sister properties Raleigh and SLS. Not to brag, but we really do have some of the best employees in South Beach and it is great to hear they really took care of you. You certainly had a true Redbury experience, from the comfortable pool lounge to the gelato in the lobby. Still being such a new property there is always ways to improve and I agree the entrance could be a bit grander. We have some ideas that are in the work and hopefully when you come back for some more R&R you will be happily surprised with the changes we have made. Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was a nice property with interesting rooms. The front desk staff, as well as the beach staff, were lovely and always very helpful. I can't say enough good things about them! However, for such a nice hotel it was a shock to come back to the room after 4pm and find it still not made up. We were told that 6 pm was the goal. Six o'clock at night. That's unacceptable in my opinion. If I wanted to live with unmade beds and wet towels I wouldn't be paying these prices. Also housekeeping gave us exactly 1 wash cloth and exactly 2 hand towels each day. I'm not sure what that's all about, and I know I could have called to have more sent up, but who actually wants to have to request something so basic?

Additionally, I felt that the resort fee of $20 a day was high for what it bought. First there was admittedly good wireless. It's unnecessary however since the city of Miami seems to be covered, for free - I'd have to disconnect the city's wireless that I'd been using on the beach to get the hotel's. It also gets you towels & chairs on the beach (no umbrella - that's another $20 a day), though only until 5pm, when they take everything back even though there are hours of daylight left and it's actually the most pleasant time to be on the beach. There's also access to a gym at another hotel down the street...not something most people are going to schlep down Collins to take advantage of.

Lastly, the restaurant was ridiculously over priced - 2 coffees were over $11. It was empty the entire time we were there, so they might take that as a clue.

So this review is all over the place, but bottom line, I'm meh about the place. It was nice but I wasn't happy with the experience. They got the physical property and their staffing right but their service policies leave much to be desired.

Room Tip: The windows appeared to be very sound proof, so even though we faced Collins, it was very quiet.
1  Thank smarcy
SBE L, General Manager at The Redbury South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Smarsy,
Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback. We take honest comments from people like you very seriously. It pains us to hear the not-so good stuff, but it helps us learn and improve! I am glad that you liked the property and the staff and appreciate the nice words.
The next time you’re back in town, let me know! I would love the chance to personally make sure your next stay is an all-out success and that we make up for this past stay.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I never really do social media, but I feel so compelled to express my experience at the "Redbury" South Beach Miami, as it was so nice! We checked in late night, last week, and the front desk of the hotel was great. Easy and seamless. So nice. Entering our room my boyfriend was in love with the record player and classic hits.
Waking in the late afternoon, we went to the roof to enjoy the pool. Very nice, clean, and quite. We requested service for some drinks. A good looking Italian gentleman arrived and explained the celebrity cocktails. They were great drinks. Our server invited us for dinner at the Hotel restaruant called Lorenzos. We accepted.
We had the same server as the pool, James, as he greeted us in the dinning room and seated us outside under the umbrellas. He was very nice. He said "Not only am I your server, but I am your personal assistant." We melted. That was a nice touch! And the food was great!!!
At the end our our meal, our server invited us to meet Fala, (I think that is her name), at the dessert station to view all of the italian ice creams. They are made fresh. We choose some fruit sorbets and some coffee. An overall over the top outstanding experience! I will recommend The RedBury South Beach to all of my friends. The best. Thank so much!!!

Room Tip: Does not matter, the record player and classic hits will turn you on!
2  Thank Annette A
SBE L, General Manager at The Redbury South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Annette A,

Knowing that it is unlike you to write reviews, it means so much that you did. Thank you from everyone here at the Redbury for the 5 star review and recommendations. We will be sure to share your kind words with our friends in Lorenzo. See you soon!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

First, the good:

The property is extremely clean, and everyone was extremely nice. Literally every single employee we ran into made some form of chit chat to the point where it almost seemed like it was a forced part of their job. The rooms are very nice, and the bed and pillows are extremely comfortable. My wife and I literally took a picture of the pillow brand and ordered some when we returned home, the sleep was that good. The location is also within short working distance of the hub of the action.

The less than ideal:

We had a rental car, and they wanted $42/night to park the car there as a staying guest. Now, South Beach is expensive but that is just absurd. We spoke to 2 different people at the front desk and they both claimed we couldn't park anywhere in the area for less than $30/night. The hotels right next door also wanted $32-34/night, but literally 2 streets down on 16th street there is a big parking garage that charges $16/night. That rubbed us the wrong way that neither person mentioned that as an option.

The rooftop pool is really small. Nice for a quick dip, but when you check out the pools at some of the other hotels in the area it's not in the same league.

While the location is good, the hotel is really at the very end of active area. Majority of the restaurants and night life are a pretty decent walk away. I would equate it to staying at the Stratosphere Tower in Vegas - you are on the strip... but a good trek away from where all the action is.

Overall it was a very nice hotel. We got a 3 nights for the price of 2 deal which put us at slightly over $220/night after all the various fees and taxes. But for those prices, in an off-peak period, and after looking at some of the other hotels closer to the action... it really feels like this hotel was over rated for the price. At the time of booking it was the #2 hotel, which really doesn't seem justified based on what we saw. I would definitely stay elsewhere on the next visit.

1  Thank sdnerd

Dear sdnerd,

It seems that your experience wasn’t 100% and we deeply apologize for it, but we hope to see you back again. We really do want to win you over! The next time you’re back in town, let me know! I would love the chance to personally make sure you receive an excellent value.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Rarely am I this impressed with a staff as a whole. From the late night desk clerks to the restaurant and room service staffs, all went above and beyond while being sincerely nice people. No haughty South Beach nonsense like at some neighboring hotels. They treated me like a visiting dignitary, though I arrived a little worse for the wear after a very loooong day of delayed cross-country travel.

Room was comfortable and well appointed, though smallish compared to newer built hotels. However, the decor and furniture seemed brand new and squeaky clean.

I would give a 5, except for a couple quirks... Morning coffee is hassle for those that prefer not to dress and get to lobby in the morning. Room service was prompt, but $11 for a "pot" that holds less then two small cups of coffee is nuts. I would pay it for bigger pot, though.

My coffee service dishes were never removed by cleaning crew, so they did begin to stack a bit and the waters and such were never replenished. That was odd because they lose money if I can't consume day after day. Not a big deal, I just bought my own beverages after realizing this.

The bed had a duvet covered fluffy comforter and was very comfortable. Except that this is Miami in June and with no top sheet, I had to choose to sleep on top of said big comforter and wake up freezing when the AC kicked on, or wake up drenched with sweat when the AC was off by sleeping under the comforter. This made for a rather sleepless night, so I called down and asked that they change my (soaked) bed linens and please add a top sheet... I came back to room to find same sheets on bed, but a folded couple of sheets on the foot of the bed. I guess the concept of making a bed with a topsheet was too complicated? Lol

Last, the valet is a tough set up. Their staff is courteous and doing the best they can, but it does take about 20 minutes to bring your car around after you text them that you need it and it is tough to drop off because you have to parallel park into one tight spot marked "valet" on side of hotel. Just plan ahead for that, and you will be happy.

Overall, though, best place I have stayed in South beach. If you have been, you know the prices are too high and the standards too low even for quality branded hotels. The Redbury defies that reputation on both counts! I really wanted to give 5 stars to acknowledge all they do right, but a couple of these things couldn't be ignored.

Bottom line: Stay here, even if you have to bring in your own beverages, make your own bed, and navigate bizarre parking. You will be glad you did!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank pg27101

Dear Pg27101,

It pleases to me hear that you found the staff in every department sincere and helpful. We take pride on having one of the best teams in South Beach. I have noted your preferences so we can be prepared for your next visit with the top sheet on the duvet and a coffee maker for the room. I apologize parking was little difficult, unfortunately parking in Miami Beach can be expensive as there are not many lots nearby. Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next visit to south beach, as I would be happy to assist you with booking your next stay.