“Overwhelmingly Pleased”

Beacon South Beach Hotel
Ranked #57 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Spent a long weekend, May 17-20th, 2012, celebrating our 18th anniversary. Being our first visit to South Beach, we could not of been happier with the level of service, professionalism, friendliness and location of the Beacon Hotel. Due to an early flight arrival, we arrived at the Beacon around 11:30am. Christian surprised us by working hard to find an available room and check us in immediately. Had a front room with excellent view of the ocean, although it is slightly loud due to local music in the later evenings. Complimentary breakfast was one of our desires in choosing the Beacon and we were not disappointed. The location is ideal, equal distance both east or west to restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. A highlight for us was renting bikes each day for 1-hour. Two pick-up/drop-off stations are equal distance apart from the Beacon. For roughly $10/day we rode throughout South Beach exploring restaurants, art, culture and other hotels. Each day we were happy to return to our clean, modern and friendly hotel. With a late flight departure on Sunday, the front desk graciously provided chairs and towels for a last enjoyable beach day. The Beacon truly made our visit to South Beach memorable!

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have a small outside sitting area with alot of tropical plants. Nice t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,463)

Reviewed 21 May 2012

My husband and I just returned from what ended up being an early 30th anniversary trip. We had stayed at the Beacon before but, because of my health issues, had not been since 2005. We had followed the changes and were eager to see it for ourselves. We certainly weren't disappointed! First, when I contacted Chris ( the manager) directly about rates, he gave us a better deal than any discount site. We were able to check in early and were wonderfully spoiled from there on. We were greeted as old friends and were escorted to our room. The rooms aren't huge but very comfortable; in fact, other than my Temperpedic at home, I sleep best at the Beacon. We grabbed our beach chairs and towels ( a new addition) and headed for the beach. After returning to our room, we found that the casual mention of our anniversary resulted in a decent bottle of champagne, two chilled flutes and a lovely hand written note. It almost seemed as if the staff anticipated every need; when we had a problem with the toilet in the room, service was there in less than 5 minutes, immediately followed by housekeeping who cleaned the bathroom. In spite of being right on Ocean Drive, right next to some loud party bars, our room was quiet and comfortable all night. We were looking for more of a relaxing trip, but the people who were there to party looked very satisfied as well. Breakfast was included in the price of the room with choices from pancakes to spinach omelets as well as hot coffee available from 7 to 11. As we bid a sad farewell to the Beacon, we were discussing, on the way to the airport, when we could come again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are quiet, but higher floors will help keep the foot traffic to a minimum
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Just stayed at the Beacon Hotel May 14-19, 2012. Let me start this by saying that my husband and I are hotel snobs. Not that we stay at extremely expensive hotels but we try to stay at very modern, clean, upscale hotels. We were very nervous about staying at a boutique hotel on Ocean drive because most of them get very mixed reviews. The Beacon seemed to get the best reviews for that area. So we decided to give it a shot. We were not disappointed. From my first encounter via email to the very end, we were so happy with the staff. I am guessing because it is a boutique hotel that you get much more personal attention. Started with an email with questions about the rates (with Veronika Volovik). She responded quickly every time and it was a feeling of a casual conversation, rather than a generic email response. I can't say anything bad about the staff. Unfortunately, I did not get everyone's names but a few of the wonderful staff was Christian and Victor. There was a woman who worked the desk and a young man who helped us when we did have a little issue with valet. If he reads this he will know who he is. They were both great also. The valet service was great except for the one day we had a little issue of our car taken a very long time, most of the time it was there within 15 minutes. And we have used valet before and have gotten dings on our personal car but there was nothing on this car. The hotel is extremely clean and well taken care of. A special kudos to our housekeeper, Rommy, who did a wonderful job at cleaning our room. The bed was extremely comfy and the sheets and towels felt so clean. Someone had mentioned in a review that using the two top sheets instead of a duvet made it seem so much cleaner, that was so true. I loved this idea. I only have a few cons, but nothing really bad about the hotel. I knew the room and bathroom was going to be small but it was a bit awkward at how small it was. We really couldn't leave out toiletries in the bathroom because there was no room, I have a new appreciation for my apartment bathroom. The room itself wasn't too small but they did not have any drawers. We had to live out of our suitcase the whole time. What I thought was drawers was actually a cabinet for the minibar and the safe. I think the minibar could be done away with and a chest of drawers could make people very happy. The free breakfast was good but you only get orange juice (a very small glass) and/or coffee but you have to pay for refills. But that these are the only negatives. And of course the location could not have been any better. We walked up and down Ocean Drive all week and think this hotel had the absolute best spot on the street. This was our first trip to Miami and I believe the hotel is half of what made it special.

Room Tip: We had room 503 and it was great because you really could not hear the noise from the street
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I have not stayed in Miami Beach before, but I did a ton of research and chose the Beacon for the location, cost, previous reviews, and breakfast offering. 4 night stay, double room, me and my mother (late 30's and 50's age group).

Here are the ups and downs as we saw them.

Positives:
-Location cannot be beat
-Great value
-Good breakfast included in room cost and on Ocean Dr this is worth A LOT(not your typical continental, think real eggs, bacon and potatoes, strong coffee, fresh squeezed OJ)
-Very very comfy beds and pillows
-Beach towels and beach chairs included (although chairs were not lightweight, so we ended up leaving them behind after the first day)
-Mini fridge avail on request
-Friendly staff with some who always remembered our room number
-Very hot coffee and tea available in AM for free (found on 2nd floor lounge area)

Negatives:
-Couple of service requests required a 2nd follow up or just were never done (remote didn't work, did not get maid service one day, call ahead for a cab)
-Small room and bathroom, which we totally expected based on age of building and previous reviews, but for 2 women to get ready it was super tight with horrible lighting and no vanity or storage in bathroom. I think from a design perspective they could get more creative to make the space usable.
-Glass door on bathroom was odd and let in light from shower window at night
-Noise was not an issue until the fourth night when the weekenders started to arrive. Then we found out how loud the hall, garden 'smoking' area, and upstairs guests could be. Earplugs are a good idea. We stayed in a garden view room on the third floor.
-Some things are just worn out. Bathroom shelves are loose on the wall, all the electrical outlets barely hold a plug, our A/C which was already a bit loud but started making a horrible racket the last night so we just went without for sleep, elevator is so miserably slow you will use stairs unless you have luggage

Even with the negatives, I still gave the Beacon 4 stars because the value just really outweighed the shortfalls.

Personally, we will probably stay a block or two back from Ocean Dr if we ever go again, OR, maybe stay at the hotels north of the park beach area that are truly on the beach. We enjoy the people and action of Ocean dr, but after 4 days we were worn out and I think a little more quiet and space in the room would have done us good.

Some people made comments about the restaurant in their reviews (The Place), which from what I understand is not technically part of the hotel and separately owned/managed. The breakfasts were good, service was usually decent, but I will say I saw quite a few times people ordering drinks like mojitos and bloody marys and the wait staff totally fails to mention that they automatically bring out the LARGE much pricier size. This did not seem exclusive to this restaurant, but was typical of most of the places on Ocean dr. We ended up enjoying the service and food from restaurants off the main strip much much more, even if it required a short cab ride.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Beacon Hotel is great, the room was very comfortable, but the air con was ice cold, yes the bathroom was small, but nicely fitted out, the beach towels and chairs provided were a great idea. Breakfast included, what better place to eat Breakfast than on Ocean drive, we would definitely stay there again and made our road trip really memorable.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

Recommend a stay at the Beacon for all! Front Desk, Bar, Conceirge, hell even cleaning staff, were absolutely delightful! Kitchen puts out tasty food, just be prepared as food/drinks will cost. ( i.e. my man brought me a cup of coffee n bed-set him back 8- 9bucks).
Althoughsmall and condensed, rooms were clean with white down, and all amenities spotless! Will defintely visit them again!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I'm very, very picky about hotels and being able to sleep reasonably well at night. So I considered I weighed being away from the action in hotels near the 4ooo block of Collins Ave versus an Ocean Drive hotel right int he heart of the action. I read the reviews of Beacon Hotel and others, and was a little cocnerned about the potential noise but chose Beacon anyway. I made a great choice. I normally don't expect the hotel staff to worship me every second of every hour, but this staff went above and beyond. I had a rental car, so they remembered my car so that when I called to have it ready (it takes about 15-20 minutes for them to get it for you, given the tight traffic of Ocean Drive), it was ready on time, and sometimes earlier.Valet was friendly to me every time, and they had my car ready or parked it at any hour. I came back from Club Liv at Fountainbleu Hotel at 4am, and the valet took care of it. I had to leave early (645am) for the airport, and the valet had the car ready. Be sure to call in advance when you need it, and also give them your cell phone number if you plan to hang out away from your room .The room was nice (I was by myself in the room while my friends shared another hotel on Collins).

The free breakfast at the restaurant was very nice, though if you're a muscular guy like me, you may add another plate to your breakfast to get adequately full). I accidentally cracked the glass top to the credenza under the wall mounted TV when I handled the ice bucket on it, but the manager told me not to worry about it, accidents happen. When the ice machine stopped working, the staff brought a bag of ice from the restaurant to me within 2 minutes of calling.

As a hobbyist photographer, I always like to have a good view of the beach and sunrise, and my 3rd floor room (Room 318) didn't disappoint. And with a stream of characters and energetic atmosphere to photograph, I was more than pleased. I'll book with them again.

Room Tip: For the best South Beach action, get hotels in the 400-900 block of Ocean Drive or Collins Ave. Call...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends