“A small Gem, Fantastic!”

The Beach Plaza Hotel
Ranked #176 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 14 December 2009

After staying at a dump, we found this hotel and they saved our lives. The hotel is small but it is so charming and friendly. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are adorable, i felt so at home and safe. The room is clean the beds are very comfortable; i even slept longer than usual (i never sleep well). You get a continental breakfast every morning with Starbucks coffee and at 6:00pm you receive a complimentary glass of wine, which i loved. If i go back to south beach, i am definitely staying at this hotel again. LOVED IT!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank jacklynNewYork

Reviewed 3 December 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Beach Plaza Hotel during Thanksgiving 2009. It was for our 2-year anniversary and it was my very first trip to Miami. After conducting some internet research, including this site, I decided to book through the Hotel's website so I would be eligible for an online promo offer. This review is specific to an Imperial room on the THIRD floor with two double beds...
I was thoroughly impressed with my stay at this hotel, and I fully intend to return next year (or even sooner, if I could afford it). First of all, the hotel is located on the corner of 14th & Collins Ave. and there is a municipal parking garage that's just one block south on 13th. Also, it's just a 1-block walk to the beach, and it is surrounded by numerous restaurants, bars, clubs, and shops. Based upon this, we were able to leave our rental car in the garage and we explored a good amount by walking from 8th to 18th Streets. The convenience of the location truly is PHENOMINAL.
I understand that the 3rd floor was the most recently renovated, and because of this our room was awesome! I was a bit concerned based upon some of the reviews I've read, so it was a HUGE relief when we first walked in our room. The room was quite spacious and had a great high ceiling. Again, please note that due to my research, I chose to book through the hotel's website and I was in an Imperial room. I'm sure if you use a website like Priceline or Orbitz, you might save some money, but I didn't want to risk getting a crappy room. Our room was very well set-up, with funky decor and furniture plus a new flat-screen TV with an internal DVD player. Despite what I've read, my room really did appear as advertised on the hotel's website.
Finally, the staff who assisted me were great, and it was a pleasure to deal with them. Alex, Sebastian, and Marzena all were helpful and very friendly, and I really enjoyed chatting with them. The cleaning staff and other people I spoke with behind the front desk were friendly as well. While we were there, I think we only saw one other couple who appeared to be from America, and they were much older than we. Personally, I loved this, as it added to the feeling that I was in another country for my vacation.
Other Bonuses:
You can get free beach towels, a free continental breakfast, and there is complimentary wine at 5 PM. This is not some posh resort, so the towels are not new and super fluffy, the breakfast was limited (but did feature Starbucks coffee!), and the red wine I drank was just a good table wine (but it was FREE, so it drank like it was a $20 bottle I'd have with dinner!). For me, I am limited on expenses, so these bonuses allowed me to allocate money to dinner and drinks at night, which was a tremendous break on my wallet. I thought the lounge and bar area was oozing with character, easily something I could find in the Village but with much more expensive drinks. There is a really charming and funky outdoor lounge area, and in the back of that there is a nice fitness center. On the speaker system in the common areas I was delighted to hear some "world beat", ambient, downtempo, and house music. I'm 34 and I happen to love this music... If you want to hear background music with no soul so you feel "sophisticated", then this place is not for you. But if you appreciate culture and are open-minded, then you should love this place just as we did.
Critique:
YES, the lobby has a musty smell. Mind you, this hotel was built in 1938 and it's one block from the ocean. What do you expect? This smell is NOT due to a lack of cleanliness. Besides, I was able to acclimate to the mild "odour" within seconds every time I was downstairs.
I thought the cable and the wireless internet were weak. Mind you, if the weather is nice you shouldn't be in your room long enough to really need those services, so it was not an inconvenience. But there is a PC in the lobby that guests can use to access the internet, and I even was allowed to make a print-out as well ($0.50 for one page - It's no sweat since you're not printing a report!).
Summary:
STAY HERE. Both of us were impressed by our experience with this hotel, and I even wish I had made the reservation for longer so we could keep having fun. I can't wait to go back here again!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2009

I found the Beach Plaza Hotel to be old but with charm and I was made very welcome. The staff very friendly and ready to help in any way. Very close 2 min walk to the beach, shopping, bars and resteraunts. I look forward to visiting again one day, made some good friends.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2009

I stayed here a couple of days and in short, if I come and visit this area again I'd probably look to use this hotel.

The location is great - near perfect location in the art deco district. One block from the beach and as a bonus (not part of the hotel but still) the washing stand on 14th Street is perfectly situated so you can wash off the sand on your way back to the hotel. Bars and shopping are super close by.

The rooms are decent size - sort of remodeled. Laminated floor is a nice touch. The bathrooms are remodeled but a bit cramped, and the bathroom floor is all tile - be careful not to slip. That's like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Otherwise everything is very clean. AC worked fine. I had a nice corner room so I had windows from all sides (including the bathroom and hallway).

The walls are thin! If you and your special someone decide to *cough* do something in the middle of the night - be aware that for certain your neighbors will hear you! and bang on your wall. Kind of funny, but certainly not nice.

Free breakfast is alright-ish - nothing fancy: bagels, some odd looking muffins, some random fruit and offbrand juices and coffee - but hey - it's free.

Their wireless internet is on and off. I think they were having some problems that they were working out while I stayed. It works - it just may be down here and there.

Valet parking is outrageous, as is everywhere in the greater Miami area, but there's a very nice public parking lot one block away ( 2 mins walking) that is pretty cheap considering it's South Beach - about $1/hr.

Overall for the price paid - almost all complaints are have can be swallowed as you save money to enjoy the very nice area.

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed 4 November 2009

i had a great time, hotel was very clean, staff were very friendly, room was EXACTLY as it looked in the pictures. We booked through orbitz and they did not have our reservation and tried to charge us again but they were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2009

I stayed there for a week with my wife. Room was very small and really dark with dark floors so you can't see how dirty it is and I tried to adjust the blinds, but they were stuck.. Bath is 4'x5', so its nothing like the pictures they show you. 1st day we found a lot of hair in the bath and it also smelled like a hospital, but we got used to that after few days. Music in the bar is really loud and it doesn't stop till 11pm, after that all we could hear was the music in the... lobby. I called them 2 night in the row insisting to turn it down, but after 15mins it was loud again. Finally, last night while we were eating, huge COCKROACH came out from under the bed. Of course ignorant at the lobby said it happened for the first time and offered to spray something mild. Location is about the only good thing. Miami is great, so don't ruin your vacation at beach plaza hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2009

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel three times this year.Let me tell you why. Staff.... I have had a great experience with the staff each visit. From the check in to the check out.Friendly, responsive and professional. Mike the bell hop was helpful and courteous(during our entire stay!) Alex and Sebastian at the front desk are great at making you feel welcome from the time you arrive until you leave. I dont remember every ones names.But in my time here(Four days in late September this trip) the entire staff made a genuine and successful effort to treat us good. Location......... The hotel is right in the middle of all that makes South beach fun. The beach is a very short walk away.Lincoln road is around the corner and so is Ocean drive. There is a huge parking garage less than a block away. You are in the perfect spot. Hotel itself.......... If you like the cool boutique, deco style vibe this is it. It is not a brand new hotel(I like the vintage vibe) so if you want the generic sterile same old thing.You should stay some where else. But this hotel has a awesome courtyard to chill at. Check out the pool table! FREE breakfast every morning. and a decent gym with a shower. DONT expect everything to be shiny and new. This place has character and flavor. I never like to judge other reviews but c`mon people berating a great place because they ask for a small deposit( which by the way is very standard) is a lil` silly. I read one review who complained about the style of covering on the bed... I have stayed in many hotels,this a great place with good rates and a friendly staff. I will always make this my place when in Miami!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BEACH PLAZA.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple