“Cannot wait until my next stay...”

Shula's Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
Lutz, Florida, United States
“Cannot wait until my next stay...”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have the opportunity to stay at Shula's two or three times a year, and I really look forward to staying there. It's right off the Palmetto Expressway, in a great part of town, and yet pretty close to downtown Miami. The amenities are unique, and the sports memorabilia must be seen to be appreciated.
However, it is the staff that sets Shula's apart. Ask a favor and it will happen! They are friendly, kind and really helpful. Such a different feel from the downtown Miami hotels...and so very worth it!

Room Tip: An inside room gives you a great view of the courtyard. And don't forget to ask about Indigo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Mark P - We appreciate your loyalty to Shula's and always look forward to being of service to you.

Jorge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Turkish first
Traverse City
Reviewed 27 December 2013

1. I stayed here for a week a couple of weeks ago for work and had some problems. When I went to check into the hotel after 4pm, I was told that my room was not ready yet. Since I was a customer of a company that housed all their students here all the time, how could the hotel not know what customers were coming and roughly what time they would be arriving. Eventually there were over 6 customers sitting in the lobby, waiting for their rooms. This was not a one time occurrence as I heard another group get told the same thing the next afternoon. why would a hotel repeatedly have the same problem?
2. The room was okay, but I found my sliding door did not lock, I had to work at aligning the catch but was able to fix it. I would say this is a safety concern.
3. The hotel had a nice pool, but it was only open from dawn to dusk. Since I was in class in November, i was out of the hotel from dawn to dusk, so obviously I could not use the pool. I realize that a pool can noisy, but I still feel that adding a few hours to the open times would have been beneficial.
4. I realize that this hotel was founded on the premise of sports, and that the on-site restaurant was supposed to be a sports bar, but it would be nice if there was a quiet area of the restaurant away from the TV's where someone who is not a sports fanatic could relax and talk or read a book. The
TV's were even on news in the morning.
5. Although most of the employees were nice, one of the women behind the front desk was rude to several of the people I heard her talk to. It may have been a very stressful time for her, but it was also stressful for the customers whose rooms were not available after long flights to get there.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard had nice views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Michtraveler_12
Michtraveler_12 - Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us and for allowing us an opportunity to review some of the items you mentioned. Guest insight is a valuable tool to us and we appreciate your comments. We are reviewing what you have shared to see if we can effect some changes to continue to enhance guest experience in the restaurant and pool area. We do apologize for the experience you had with one of our front desk team members and hope this was an isolated experience during your stay. Our focus is to provide simply great service and it is disappointing to hear this. Hoping the remainder of your stay met or exceeded your expectations and we look forward to being of service to you in the near future.

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Miami Lakes is a lovely residential area; but it's in the middle of nowhere. If you're going to Sunlife Stadium and that's the primary reason for your visit to this area, it's an OK place to stay. The hotel is clean but loud hallway and outside noise kept waking us up. The a/c unit sounded like a mac truck every time it turned on, I mean it was ridiculously loud. Last but not least, they try to put a queen size fitted sheet on a king size bed. Every time you move, the sheet would "pa-twang" off the mattress and smack you in the head. Oh, don't expect clean towels the next day unless you ask for them. The housekeeper left our used, damp towels on the hook ready to be used the next morning, really?? A mehtza place to stay but again, conveniently located to the stadium and no where else.

Room Tip: I don't think any room is better than another......
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
PAABOO - A belated thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Shula's Hotel with us. We apologize for some of the items you encountered during your stay. We have since identified the linen issue and have made the necessary changes to avoid future occurrences. Again, we apologize for this and we hope to have another opportunity in the near future to turn this experience around.

Thanks again and safe travels

Maplewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The hotel staff was super friendly and professional. My husband and I ended up staying an extra night and they accommodated us with no problem. Shula's Steak 2 is a great place to eat or just have a drink. The food is good and the prices are not bad.The bartenders and servers were all wonderful. The only food that wasn't that great was the breakfast buffet. The meats were super salty and the pancakes and french toast were rock hard. Overall, it was a nice stay and we will most likely return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Xtina L - We wanted to extend a belated thank you for sharing your review of Shula's Hotel on Tripadvisor. We were happy to hear you and your husband enjoyed your stay. We have also shared your comments with our team and are taking a look at our breakfast buffet to ensure it is consistent and meets guest expectations. Thank you again for sharing and we look forward to your next visit.

Safe Travels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I like the hotel overall and have stayed once before, albeit in a different building. The area is nice and the bar staff in Shulas2 are fun. I had specific problems on my recent stay over the week of Thanksgiving. The particular hallway outside room 1255 is far too noisy. It's near elevators and multiple entrances. At between 6:00 and 8:00 AM you can forget about sleeping. The cleaning crews pass through the hallway and sometimes hang out for loud chit chat. The window faces the parking lot and is a few feet from a walkway where carts are pushed by. So noise comes from both sides. So if you stay at Shula's and want a quiet room, make sure you are not in the "World Cup" building by the conference room entrance. The other comment I'll make is that $15.00 for the breakfast buffet is over the top, especially since you're paying for lukewarm scrambled eggs and sausage. Thankfully McDonald's is a mile away.

Room Tip: There is no room service in Shula's, only take out available from the bar.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I work for Prime Sports Travel and every year we use Don Shula's in Miami Lakes to attend the Homestead NASCAR race with our clients. My event planner Maria Pellitero is the BEST!! She is always there to help us and goes out of her way to be sure our group (sometimes 300 clients or more) have everything we need! The hotel staff is great also and the hotel is so comfortable and fun. Which brings me to the restaurant, Don Shula's 2!! The restaurant manager John Pinilla is WONDERFUL! He also goes out of his way to be sure our clients have the best of everything. The food is fabulous, the atmosphere is awesome and the staff is so friendly! I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to book large groups, and for the perfect couple weekend getaway!!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the courtyard and the pool!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I've always loved staying at the Shula when visiting Miami Lakes. This time we found two small roaches in the bathroom and chipping paint in the bathroom. The shower has stains on the floor and the floor had hair. The gym is awesome! The restaurant is great for watching the game and grabbing a bite. The housekeeping and condition of the hotel needs some attention.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Courtyard Miami Lakes
Courtyard Miami Lakes
#3 of 4 in Miami Lakes
La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Lakes
Holiday Inn Express Miami-Hialeah (Miami Lakes)
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale / Miramar
TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!