“Worst Hotel in South Florida”

Shula's Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Unfortunately, this is my second stay at this hotel and once again my stay has been a mess. I check in to my room, phone doesn't work (extreme static), in the bathroom there are stains all over the door and the trim around the door (which has me thinking the worst) the paint is peeling off all over the bathroom door, I tried to order a movie and couldn't (screen asked me to call the front desk, which sucked cause i had to call multiple times and yell over the static so i could be heard). Someone did stop by from engineering but they couldn't get the phone to work. Finally, i did order a movie. You charge $19 dollars for a movie then show it with a grainy image. The screen image is so much better on your regular cable (where its free) than on your pay per view (where you charge a lot) Then finally 9pm rolls around and I want to see one of my favorite shows on NBC but guess what, no reception. No reception on CBS, NBC, or FOX. These are basic channels how can you not have reception. Plus my phone doesn't work so I can't call the front desk. Also, when i picked up some food to-go downstairs (they don't offer room service) I asked reception where I could by some Tylenol. They told me to go to CVS. I know where CVS is, it's over half a mile away. It's not an exaggeration. I'm blown away that if one of your GUESTS feels bad or gets sick (when your traveling that stuff usually happens at 1am) you have to send them to CVS!!!! Diarrhea, heartburn,migraine, cold, flu, you can't dedicate a broom closet or a couple of cabinets to your guests well being. You're close enough to the airport where some guests might not have cars and I know when I'm sick the last thing I want to do is get in my car and drive in a town I don't know looking for a CVS. Especially, in the middle of the night. Finally, at 10:30pm I call the front desk to order a wake up call for the next morning. Nothing. Called 3 times and let the phone ring 12-15 times each time. Its 10:30pm on a Friday night, where is your staff? Not doing their job. After being in the hotel for 7 hours, I'm angry, dismayed and left with a headache. For my sanity and health I cannot stay here again.

On a side note, the first time I stayed here was about 2 months previous. I didn't have a good experience. So I wrote a review and soon after the manager responded. I didn't realize he had written back until I was about to write this second review. I appreciate a manager taking time to respond. So, I sent him an e-mail, explaining my awful stay but assured him that if he responded to my e-mail, I wouldn't write any public review. It's been over 2 weeks and I've yet to hear from anyone so I've decided to make my review public. I've never had a worse experience in a hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank johnstone01
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

johnstone01 - Our sincere apologies for not making your second stay with us a different experience from your first. I know it must have been even more overwhelming as you were not feeling well during your stay. We hope you have completely recovered from whatever was ailing you. We thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay and we will make sure to take some time with our team to go over your comments and see where we could have made a difference. We would still like to connect with you and am offering my direct email as jorge.ferbeyre@grahamhospitality.com. With the experiences we both have had trying to connect via Tripadvisor, this may be a better vehicle. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you.

There are newer reviews for Shula's Hotel & Golf Club

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed at Shula's Hotel on a business trip and man am I pleased! The rooms were very clean,the pool and garden area were relaxing. Everything you need to ease your mind on your stressful business trips. The customer service was impeccable. I found the front desk to be extremely helpful. I came across two ladies in the front desk that really made me feel comfortable Carolina and Natasha. Both Young ladies were very professional and sweet, definitely made my stay at Shula's an experience of a lifetime! If I am ever in the Miami area again I will definitely be staying here!

• Stayed: May 2014

flyjames88 - Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Shula's Hotel. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience and found our surrounding relaxing. The pool and lagoon areas are quite unique and do offer a sense of escape from what can be a rigorous business day for many travelers. We also want to thank you sharing you service experience and for specifically mentioning Natasha and Carolina. These ladies are truly wonderful and we are lucky to have them on our team.

Thank you again and safe travels.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stay at Shula's every time we go home to visit my family; love the location, rooms are great and well priced. It's especially fun during football season to go down the the bar/restaurant and enjoy the big screens with the local fans. We had a 1st floor pool side room which was very nice but there were lots of adults & children out at the pool deck until after 10PM, which made it a little loud in the late evening. One regret is that they do not have room service any longer; hopefully, they will add that feature back to their services.

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd & 3rd floors are quieter; 1st floor pool side rooms are very noisy in the evening.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Johnsontrips - Thank you for allowing Shula's to be your choice hotel while traveling to Miami Lakes. We appreciate your continued loyalty. So sorry to hear about the noise by the pool area and appreciate you sharing this with us. We look forward to being of service again to you in the near future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We have stayed at the Shula Resort several times. Our son graduated from school and so we won't have a reason to go back. The hotel has always been nice. The rooms are clean, the service great. The Shula 2 Restaurant has a great bar and good food. Its located on Main Street which is really nice as it has a few shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

pdemetree - Congratulations to the Graduate!!! Thank you for allowing Shula's to be your host hotel while visiting your son in Miami Lakes and we appreciate the kinds words in your review. We wish your son the very best in his future endeavors.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed last week for only one night at the Shula and was very pleasantly surprised! GREAT beds, clean rooms, EVERY staff member was friendly and helpful, even the bellman and janitor! Small quiet street of shops steps from the front door. The steak dinner I had at Shula's pub was awesome. Wish I could've stayed longer, but I was traveling on business.

Room Tip: Ask for the pool view rooms if you're ok with two queen beds, however the king bed was dreamy!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Perry W - Hello for our friends in beautiful Jacksonville Beach. Our team is very appreciative of your review and happy you enjoyed your stay. We are thankful for the opportunity to have been of service to you and look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I experienced a quality hotel with excellent customer service and focus in my recent stay of 4 nights. The room was spotlessly clean and the bed was exceptionally comfortable! I have arrived at senior status so I would have preferred having an elevator closer to the south east corner where my room was located but I found the hotel to be to my liking. The staff was friendly and offered a very high level of customer service. I especially appreciated Donna upon check-in with her friendly greeting and welcoming attitude as well as Natasha at the front desk upon my checkout with her inquiry about what I could share that would have made my stay better. Their customer service attitudes were genuine and refreshing....as were all of the staff that I interacted with! When back in this area on business or pleasure, I will definitely stay again at Shula's Hotel!

Room Tip: If in an above ground room, then consider proximity to the elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

DDT8 - Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you during your business trip and for providing us with some insight into your experience at Shula's. Our team was excited to hear about your stay and even more so at the extra mentions of Donna and Natasha. We appreciate you taking the time and look forward to celebrating your review.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Nice location and a very accommodating staff, with one particular standout employee by the name of Natasha Linares. Natasha took excellent care of our group, always making sure we had everything we needed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

KWhite1963 - Thank you so much for your review of Shula's and for the wonderful comments about Natasha. She is truly making a difference for our guests and we really appreciate you acknowledging her efforts. We will be sure to celebrate your comments with her and the rest of our team.

Thank you again and safe travel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami Lakes
#3 of 4 in Miami Lakes
La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Lakes
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale / Miramar
TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!