“Really Good Experience at the Don Shula's Hotel.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shula's Hotel & Golf Club

Shula's Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
Germany
“Really Good Experience at the Don Shula's Hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2007

Really Good Experience at the Don Shula's Hotel.

The first thing I want to say is my wife and I are repeat customers at the Don Shula Hotel.

The Deluxe room we stayed in was just average nothing special but nothing to complain about at all.
We could tell that there had been room renovations since the last time we had stayed there. They had updated the beds,bathrooms,and desk area.

The only thing is pretty minor, one morning we had coffee but no condiments or coffee stirrer.
Another morning we didn't have fresh towels but we called and they brought us some fairly quickly.

Our room was clean and the bathroom was Okay sized. I want to emphasize that it's a very nice surrounding area and We feel safe there walking down the main street. Also Shula steak 2 is a great place to watch the Florida Gators win a Basketball championship game !!!!

We will definitely be staying there again and recommend it to others too.

• Liked — The feeling of being safe in a dangerous city(Miami)
  • Disliked — .
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank crud_bud

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2007

Management & front desk staff went above and beyond to make my stay pleasant. People are very friendly, and the beds are a plus. Joanne & Josie at the front desk are great with the guests, gave me an upgrade to the female floor, it was wonderful, they even have cookies in the fridge!

My company sends me to the area often, they have rates at the Marriotts close by but I would rather pay $20 more to stay at Don Shulas, they treat you like a human and not like a walking dollar bill.

The Steaks at the restaurants are the best ever.

If you want convenience, and what you deserve for your money, stay here, perfect little place in Miami Lakes.

• Liked — The beds, you feel like in heaven!
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
Universal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2007

How this place even gets by I'll never understand. We'll I guess I do...marketing.

Just filthy and worn out. Young, freindly but inexperienced or skilled help.

Many rooms, much of hotel in fact, smells not just of smoke and musty, but cigars. Probably because it hasn't been remodeled since those things were allowed in hotels commonly! (Thats honestly what it seems - we're talking dark earth tones and wicker look, 1980s feel).

Many rooms don't overlook much other than streets or parking lots. Mine had the added bonus of a large dumpster out the window too. Busy area with movie and shopping parking, can be hard to get in and out of sometimes.

It appears to get a number of groups...probably because of the golf packages and name...and apparently feel those people are reason for others to accept less. They tried to trick me to giving up and accepting it all, by continually stalling and trying things like "we'll send a maid, we'll call back" etc. Things that never happened, and really shouldn't have been needed anyway.

This is simply a terrible, terrible place for anything more than $39.95 a night.

I need to come to the area for business regularly. I will ask my company travel area to simply use someplace else, or even pay for it myself and do so.

• Liked — Non chain - seems like a classy place to be, to the uninitiated
  • Disliked — Do I really have to chose...the rattling wall unit a/c...no the filthy thread bare linens, no - the help that doesn't, no.......
  • Tips/Secrets — La Quinta or Marriott in area.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Miami Lakes hotels

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2006

We were so pleased with the hotel and location - - stayed on Christmas night after going to the Dolphins/Jets game (15 minute drive to stadium). The hotel is surrounded by quaint shopping and restaurants and feels very safe! The room was spacious, very clean and had wonderful beds! Thanks to the previous reviews on TripAdvisor our Christmas holiday was topped off with a great hotel stay! Would definitely stay again and recommend to others!

• Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
Central Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2006

Just returned from a weekend at the hotel with a group of 6. This was our second stay here, and we'll back again next year! My husband and I had a beautiful room with king size bed. The room was immaculate, the bed very comfortable. Service at check in and check out was very smooth. The front desk located the pillows we left behind at check out and had them for us when we returned later in the day. Used the health club Saturday am, also a good experience. Cardio machines, lots of TVs, weight room, fitness classes, indoor basketball court. We had drinks in the sports bar, great atmosphere for sports fans like us. A mix of travelers and local folks. Dinner at Shula's Steakhouse (at the golf club) was wonderful. Its a beautiful restauratn with excellent service, great food and wine, be prepared to spend $75 per person at a minimum. The hotel is convenient to other restaurants and shopping, and to Dolphin Stadium. Very centrally located for visiting the Greater Miami area.

• Liked — great rooms, comfortable bed, everything we needed right there
  • Disliked — package included golf discount, but nothing offered of equal value for non-golfers, such as equivalent $ towards spa service
  • Tips/Secrets — weekend getaway package is a great deal
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank mrscoachb
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2006

Stayed at Don Shula's hotel over memorial day weekend. The location can't be beat. It was in a quiet suburban neighborhood. We did a lot of driving around town that weekend, and I'd say it was by far one of the safest neighborhoods in the Miami area. The room was nice and clean. The bed was pretty comfortable; and I liked that they had numerous pillows in varrying sizes. There were only a few things I didn't like about this hotel. 1. There were no do not disturb signs in the room. This meant that every morning we were there, we were awoken at 8:00 in the morning by the maids wanting to clean the room. 2. They were stingey with the Aveda toiletries. First day we were there we got a bar of soap and a bottle of shampoo, that was it. The second day they left us face wash and nothing else. On the third day they left as a new bar of soap and nothing else. I'm sure if we had asked they would have given us more, I just thought it was kind of odd that they sparadically left us toiletries. 3. The elevators were out of service. The fact that the elevators were out didn't so much bother me. I understand that things need to be serviced now and then, but what annoyed me, was that we were staying on the third floor, and when we checked in we were not offered any help with lugging our bags up the 3 flights of stairs. Overall I would say that this wasn't a bad hotel for the price, and would consider staying there again.

• Stayed May 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank StarBellySneetch
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2006

We stayed at Don Shula's Golf Club through Priceline on May 29th for one night. We had two rooms, non-smoking, with two double beds in each room. This would not have been my choice of accommodations if we would have had a choice. But, with Priceline, you get what they give you. Sometimes it works out great and sometimes it doesn't. I would not give this property a three star. A two is stretching it.

Check-in went fine. The lobby is drabby and depressing.

Upon entering one of the rooms, the air conditioner or fan did not work. The temp. outside was in the 90's and it was extremely hot in the room. My husband called down to the front desk to let them know and they assured him that an engineer would be right to our room to fix the problem. An hour later, no one had showed up, so I called the front desk again. I was assured that someone would be up to fix it. I asked if they could just move us to another room, which they agreed to do.

The rooms are very old and smell musty. Even though our room was non-smoking, you could smell smoke. We had a view of the golf course, while the rest of our group in the other room had a view of the pool. The pool looks rundown and there are stray cats running all around the property.

Basically, this place would be fine for individuals who are there to play golf. Otherwise, I would not recommend staying here. Don Shula's steakhouse was closed on Memorial Day evening, so we left the property for dinner.

• Stayed May 2006
TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes
Stadium Hotel
Stadium Hotel
#1 of 1 in Miami Gardens

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!